PDA

View Full Version : The French dude who eliminated Gaudio (Redcode users pay attention)

Ripper
09-04-2006, 05:22 AM
Sorry, just forgot his name and don't care about looking it up. Anyway, why does he rub the palm of his hand (the one with which he holds the grip) over his strings, before recieving serve? Is he putting sweat on them to make them slip more against each other? Seriously, what's with this? Did anyone else notice this?

PS: In his match against Gaudio, I couldn't tell who had the coolest looking string job. Gaudio's is all gold and shiney. What did you say he used again? Toalson something?

mutt
09-04-2006, 05:28 AM
The name of the French Player is Marc Giquel. And Gaudio use Kirschbaum Super Smash!

Ripper
09-04-2006, 05:42 AM
The name of the French Player is Marc Giquel. And Gaudio use Kirschbaum Super Smash!

Oh yes, Gicquel, with a "c"... Gaudio's string didn't look the Kirschbaum gold to me; they had kind of a golden chrome look to them...

ShcMad
09-04-2006, 05:45 AM
Gicquel took Kiefer to 5 sets at this year's French Open. I thought the match point was sketchy because Gicquel hit a topspin lob which it appeared to have landed just inside the baseline, but Kiefer started celebrating because it was called out.

Anyways, as for the hand palm thing...maybe that's the way he finds how to grip the racquet before receiving. When I tell beginners how to find an Eastern forehand grip, I tell them to put the palm of the hand on the stringbed and then slowly go down to the handle. But, then again, I've not seen Gicquel do that in a while, so perhaps you meant something else.

Gicquel uses the Tecnifibre Red Code I believe. I wanna try that string out sometime in the future.

tennissavy
09-04-2006, 06:19 AM
I attended the Giquel match last night and he was sliding and doing splits a lot- more often then clijsters! The problem is that he lost most of the points during which he did the splits so they weren't worth the effort and risk of injury. At least Kim wins most of the points when she splits.

Ripper
09-05-2006, 06:10 AM
Last night, I figured out why Gicquel rubs his hand, top to bottom, over his raquet's stringbed. Sometimes, my cross strings shift up and, since I have this fobia, by which my strings have to be straight (damn it!), when this happened, I used to straighten them, one by one. So, last night, while playing, I noticed some crosses bent in that upward position and it, suddenly, struck me. I rubbed my hand, top to bottom and... "voilá" (French pun intended), straight crosses again! And it just took a second! Of course, this only works with strings that very easily slip between each other, like full polys jobs, for example.