PDA

View Full Version : verdasco forehand

redtennis55
09-04-2006, 09:20 AM
How to hit a forehand as explosive as verdasco's? His seems very good. Anything special in it? And what grip does he use.

35ft6
09-04-2006, 11:16 AM
I've seen him in person and at the time it seemed like he strung his racket very very loosely. He barely drove through the ball and was getting incredible action on his shots.

moxio
09-04-2006, 02:07 PM
I think I heard the commentators say that he hits similarly to Nadal: western + fast racket

chair ump
09-04-2006, 02:09 PM
just saw him at the open over the weekend, and he gets a tremendous wrist action in his forehand stroke, that makes it nearly impossible to read where he's going to put it. One of the best shots in the game - - when he's on.

TylerWeekes
09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
just saw him at the open over the weekend, and he gets a tremendous wrist action in his forehand stroke, that makes it nearly impossible to read where he's going to put it. One of the best shots in the game - - when he's on.

It does appear that he gets tons of wrist action on the forehand side.
This is not the case though. Myself, Andy Fitzell, and Vic Braden had the opportunity to get his forehand in our three dementional research project for the Pacific Life Open. He had a fixed wrist in the hitting zone on nearly every forehand. He did hit one of the hardest return of serves we had ever recorded, it was a shoulder height ball on the AD side, and he nearly touched his right knee to the ground prior to lifting his legs and exploding through the ball using the kinetic chain. He uses tons of leg drive and accelerates the kinetic chain efficiently starting with the legs. Unbelievable racket head speed!

-Tyler:D

looseswing
09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
From the match for some reason to me it seemed like he was hitting very far in front of him which could help.

ATXtennisaddict
09-05-2006, 11:51 AM
I noticed his shots are like Nadal's. Almost exactly.

looseswing
09-05-2006, 12:20 PM
He did seem to drive the ball much more than Nadal does on his forehand. He sure did hit a lot of winners of that wing against Roddick.

looseswing
01-18-2007, 06:46 PM
I just saw this video and remembered this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlMduSu4ov4

Ross K
01-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Wo - I think I'm a fan! I'm not familiar with this player - (Who is he? What's he done?) - but having checked the youtube links I'm liking what I'm seeing very much... and I like that bh too! (What's he doing there exactly?) Damn, I want those groundstrokes!

Ross K
01-19-2007, 01:18 AM
And another thing... Having re-watched ten minutes of various Verdasco vids I've noticed EVERY single fh (no exceptions) seems to finish high over his shoulder. I thought this was old school technique? Isn't modern fh wrap around meant to be wrapping around either chest region or waist region? Anyone knowledgable about this? Should I go back to above shoulder wrap-arounds?... here we go again!

looseswing
01-19-2007, 11:12 AM
And another thing... Having re-watched ten minutes of various Verdasco vids I've noticed EVERY single fh (no exceptions) seems to finish high over his shoulder. I thought this was old school technique? Isn't modern fh wrap around meant to be wrapping around either chest region or waist region? Anyone knowledgable about this? Should I go back to above shoulder wrap-arounds?... here we go again!

If you check the link I posted the first couple of forehands he hits he does not finsih up high over his right shoulder.