PDA

View Full Version : Breathing

Concealeddreamer
09-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi, I was just wondering when you hit the ball, or serve, would you exhale or inhale? I assume it's exhale? Any advantages/disadvantages or anyone know the other? thanks

theartoftennis
09-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Here's an example: Maria Sharapova

Do you think she inhales or exhales?

What exhaling does simply gives you much more power/spin. It's very hard to explain. Call it - Trying?

JordanR
09-04-2006, 03:30 PM
I'd imagine exhaling (once its not a forced thing but natural) lets your body relax more and swing through the ball as opposed to being tense, smacking at it and not following through.

nadalito92
09-04-2006, 08:07 PM
i used not to shout but now that i realised that i was doing the continental grip in a wrong way, my serve is so much harder now and now i have to shout everytime i serve, but still its really strong, so yeah its pretty natural but your not forced to do it

wEstSidE.cAmpEr
09-04-2006, 09:04 PM
If you've ever lifted before, you always exhale. It tightens up your abdomen and when you practice it, it becomes natural, as you are tightening your muscles.

slice bh compliment
09-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Some players exhale after the shot, not at impact.
Others go with two syllables, one at impact, the other after.

Triple S
09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Ever wonder why people shout in martial arts? It's the same concept in tennis. It gives you more power as you're hitting the ball.

tennis_hand
09-05-2006, 01:24 AM
i wonder why this bothers you. your body will naturally do it without your consciousness. If you have to force yourself to either inhale or exhale, go to see a doctor, "seriously".

Bagumbawalla
09-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Exhaling, is normal. But it is more normal to breathe unconsciously.

Don't think about it. Breathe naturally.