PDA

View Full Version : How To Hit High Balls Without Backing Up!

TylerWeekes
09-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Hey Tennis Tips and Instruction viewers,

This is my online tennis tip at this link: http://www.vicbradentennis.com/tennis-tip.html

It covers the topic, How To Hit High Balls Without Backing Up!

It is FREE and I hope you guys enjoy it! Ask me any questions you would like. I am one of the owners of the program in St. George and am happy to help all tennis players with game improvement.

-Tyler:D

MasterTS
09-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Wow I just looked at the video and its pretty lame lol... Sorry just my opinion. I personally dont have difficulty hitting high balls but its not the prep that causes people problems.

kchau
09-04-2006, 01:47 PM
you jump! duh!!

tarheels2323
09-04-2006, 01:48 PM
You didn't do a little split step before the shot. The split step gets your body higher so you take the ball lower than you would otherwise have to. You also don't say that taking the ball on the rise virtually eliminates the need to take balls at shoulder level. Otherwise, it was alright. I like how you concentrated on the elbow for the forehand... in my opinion the elbow position can make or break a forehand.

TylerWeekes
09-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Wow I just looked at the video and its pretty lame lol... Sorry just my opinion. I personally dont have difficulty hitting high balls but its not the prep that causes people problems.

Most people that don't handle high balls well that visit our facility, go back and low with the racket, that's all. You have to agree that if your racket is lower than your knee and the ball that you are required to hit is shoulder level, it would be hard to hit! Plus, you see nearly every pro take the racket back higher than shoulder level and eat the high ball for lunch. Many club players have difficulty developing racket head speed and spin because they don't have a proper understanding of the loop swing, and the position of the elbow on the backswing. Thank for your feed back, sorry you thought it was lame, since you don't need help with high balls you are probably already on the right track!

Mick
09-04-2006, 02:28 PM
that's a very nice tennis tip.

thanks!

TylerWeekes
09-04-2006, 02:40 PM

thanks!

Thanks Mick!

Bagumbawalla
09-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Don't have Quicktime, so didn't see the clip, But it sounds like solid advice.

I try to hit my strokes, as much as possible, the same way. Bend way down for really low shots, stretch up for the higher ones.

Tennis becomes overly complicated if you re-invent the wheel for every situation.

MasterTS
09-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I try to hit my strokes, as much as possible, the same way. Bend way down for really low shots, stretch up for the higher ones.

Tennis becomes overly complicated if you re-invent the wheel for every situation.

Well you didn't see the video so I don't know why you're commenting. The video is explaining how you change the takeback to have a high elbow (similar to Roddick) and changing your swing path based on the hieight of the ball... rather than keeping the same swing and and try to hit the strokes "the same way" as you put it.

There is a thing called hitting the strike zone.. when you're in your strike zone you can generate the most topspin, power, and precision. Either way I dont think changing the takeback to a high elbow is the answer.

mahouFuji
09-04-2006, 03:40 PM
kinda useless u move forward and do an off the bounce

TylerWeekes
09-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Well you didn't see the video so I don't know why you're commenting. The video is explaining how you change the takeback to have a high elbow (similar to Roddick) and changing your swing path based on the hieight of the ball... rather than keeping the same swing and and try to hit the strokes "the same way" as you put it.

There is a thing called hitting the strike zone.. when you're in your strike zone you can generate the most topspin, power, and precision. Either way I dont think changing the takeback to a high elbow is the answer.

I think you might be missing the point of the tip. Many times we are required to hit a ball above our strike zone (a high ball) I.E. return of serve. I am not suggesting to have different backswings for different heights. I am saying that quite a few players backswings don't allow them the ability to hit different heights of balls. I believe in moving and taking the ball in the strike zone appropriate to your grip and taking the ball early as many are suggesting with your posts. Yet if someone’s backswing doesn't allow them to attack a high ball that can cause some problems in competitive play. Mainly these types of players back up because there backswing doesn’t allow them to hit the high ball or the ball taken on the rise efficiently. Does that make more sense?

P.S. Do you disagree that a high % of players raise the hitting elbow and prepare with both hands on the forehand side?

tennisantony
09-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Hello TylerWeekes,

I saw your video on high balls.
I have been struggling with high balls for months now.
I am sure your advise is great because I saw slow motion videos of top players, ie Fernando Gonzales, and he is always preparing his elbow very high. I will try to put in practice your tip this evening in my match.
I keep you posted on the results.
As regards your swing, I would say that for the ending, I would push my elbow more forwards though high than you because you finish your swing pretty high.
Antony (Paris).

Duzza
09-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Hey Tyler, i dunno what these people are on about, i found it very useful actually. When I play people who hit these shots i sometimes do back up or just rush with the same pattern(i.e. half volley like). Very useful, good tips, good video.

wyutani
09-15-2006, 02:43 AM
i really wish there's a vid for lefties...

JaySpin
09-15-2006, 04:27 AM
The OP has a point. Whenever I play a guy with the straight takeback he describes one of my favorite tactics is to give him a high topspin ball, then move in because the reply is usually weak and short.

Cindysphinx
09-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Hey Tyler, i dunno what these people are on about, i found it very useful actually. When I play people who hit these shots i sometimes do back up or just rush with the same pattern(i.e. half volley like). Very useful, good tips, good video.

I also don't see why Tyler should be handed his head.

I have a tough time with high balls. I take the racket back low, which causes me to hit up too much and they fly out.

Or I run way back behind the baseline, and then reverse direction to step into the shot. This is exhausting to do for two hours.

Many pros have told me not to take my racket back so low, but I didn't know how.

Thanks for showing me how, Tyler. I'll give this a try tomorrow.

Xtennis88
09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
this is a very useful tip... however I actually like taking high balls at thier peak or descent because I load the ball with forehand topspin..

Roforot
09-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Nice tip. Thanks for posting it.
Is the benefit from just having a high take back, or does it come from the elbow leading the takeback?

I feel more comfortable to take back w/ my racket pointing straight up (perpendicular to ground) w/ my arm actually in the "double-bend" position. The hand is just below eye-level. I feel comfortable to take shots of different heights, and basically end up w/ a steeper loop on lower balls, whereas higher balls have a more shallow loop.

I am not sure what my sort of takeback is called; do you think there is a n advantage to using an elbow-leading takeback and if so what?
Editted to add:
Sorry I looked further on that website, and the way that little kid (in the video below Tyler's) takesback his racquet is similar to mine.

mahouFuji
09-15-2006, 09:33 PM
all u need is a off the bounce O.O

tennisfanatic
09-15-2006, 10:13 PM
How to hit high balls without backing up?

1. Proper footwork
2. Anticipate the shot
3. Early preparation
4. Short backswing
5. Hit the ball on the rise

Slice Approach
09-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Agree with tennisfanatic. First, look to take the ball on the rise and be offensive. Keep your feet moving and line the ball up with your racquet. As you are moving forward, move to the left (rh forehand) in line with the oncoming ball while turning your shoulders and taking the racquet back at about shoulder height.
Rise up to meet the ball as you transfer weight to your front foot and rip it. Keep your head still at contact and visualize your target.

BiGGieStuFF
09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Right off the bounce is a difficult shot to hit consistently. This tip by the OP is good if your on the rise right off the bounce is not clicking. I tried it and it really does help.

Thanks OP

ceejay
09-21-2006, 03:21 AM
Thats a pretty good tip. I'll have to remember it next time I play.

The real problem I have with highballs is on my 1hb though. I usually end up having to move backwards and ultimately producing a weak shot. There's no doubt my footwork needs improving, but is there a similar type of racquet/elbow prep that will help for a 1hb?

bluegrasser
09-21-2006, 03:26 AM

thanks!

Ditto - thanks

qcumber
09-26-2006, 09:29 AM
I have the same question as ceejay. Is there an equivalent tip for a one handed backhand?

haerdalis
09-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I'd like to play those who always take the ball on the rise on clay.