PDA

View Full Version : Technical Tennis: A great read

AJK1
09-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Am currently reading Technical Tennis, one of the best tennis books i've read, explodes all the myths you read on these boards. Amazing what we think is truth until a book like this gives us the facts. Highly recommended reading.

Swissv2
09-04-2006, 10:39 PM
well its offered by TW, so not too bad.

andyroddick's mojo
09-05-2006, 12:09 AM
any myths that you would like to share with us that aren't true? I know i could just go buy the book and read it myself, but i don't have the time, and would like to gain useful information anyways.thanks.

Thud and blunder
09-05-2006, 04:07 AM
It's a very short book ~150pp with lots of diagrams / charts, so I wouldn;t imagine time would be an issue.

I guess the main thrust of the book is to de-emphasise the relative importance of (even quite large) changes in equipment parameters (eg racquet weight and string tension). You'd be surprised by some of his results; I definitely was.

AJK1
09-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Ok, well one myth i found surprising was the fact that different strings or tensions do not affect how much spin you create. It's all in your arm and the trajectory angle and speed at which you hit the ball. They did blind tests and found that players couldn't tell the difference between strings and tensions!!

no skillz
09-05-2006, 03:22 PM
I am sure you can give a good player with a solid foundation an old wooden racquet and they will still be able to play well.
I am interested in reading this book and will try to pick up a copy.
I have always strung my strings high and never had them low. I am about to break my strings on my rds001 so maybe I will try to string the racquet at 55

Amone
09-05-2006, 03:30 PM
I am sure you can give a good player with a solid foundation an old wooden racquet and they will still be able to play well.
I am interested in reading this book and will try to pick up a copy.
I have always strung my strings high and never had them low. I am about to break my strings on my rds001 so maybe I will try to string the racquet at 55
I, myself, would not suggest that. I've read the book in question, and there was one tidbit left out by the author: There's a feel to it, too. Same as with different grips. Wether they effect the reactions or not, I'm not debating, but stiffer strings are to softer strings what Tournagrip is to Wilson Pro in feeling. Maybe not such a noticable difference as that, but it's there. What the final verdict was, was something like 'Do what feels best,' and that wouldn't have been there if they felt identical.