PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad that I use both backhands?

DragonFly
09-05-2006, 03:11 AM
Is it? I use a onehanded for slice, or when I'm rushed or on the run, but If I'm in control I start to use a two handed backhand. I guess I use my onehander to set up points, and my forehand or 2hbh ro end them. Thy're both pretty consistent, and they have decent pace to them.

Punisha
09-05-2006, 04:35 AM
ever watched a pro match in your life?

They use a slice and a normal backhand all the time... the slice changes the pace of the rally and adds variation... basically its better to have one than not have one.

A slice is so versatile, on the run, set backhands, drop shots, chips, approach theres just so much u can do with it!

DragonFly
09-05-2006, 05:04 AM
Ok, you're not reading me at all.

I said I have a good 1hbh AND 2hbh, I switch between those two often, and without thought. should I just stick to one, or keep both? My teammate says it's erratic and can cause errors more, but I don't know. My return of serve is also better with my two hander.

I never said anything about choosing between a flat and slice backhand.

Delzac
09-05-2006, 05:55 AM
usually it is better to pick one, so that u dun "lag" thinking about which hand to use, it really depends on the individual

Tim Tennis
09-05-2006, 06:08 AM
I think that is great, master both of them. The more variety of grips and shots that you can master the better "you" can control your opponent.

Bagumbawalla
09-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Punisha was correct. I don't think you were reading that reply correctly.

From what you say, you are unconsciously/consciously shifting between the 1and 2 handed backhands.

Most likely you feel, consciously or unconsciously (probably the former) that the 1 hander serves you better in some circumstances than others. As Punisha said-- so do the pros.

Very vew pros (for example) will hit a two handed backhand slice. It's more effective with one hand.

Do what is most effective for you, now. eventually, you will find the right strokes for the right situation and your shot selection will become less random and more dependant on the circumstance.

DragonFly
09-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Punisha never said anything about either a 2hbh or a 1hbh. He said "Slice" and "Nomal Backhand" I never said I hit with a 2 handed slice. My two handed has much more power and angle to it, but my one hander can hold its own. I guess I'l stick to the two hander, and brush up on my footwork, and stop using my one handed flat and topspin.

fx101
09-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes it's great to be able to do both, as when you are on the run, hitting 1H is a lot easier. When not, the 2HBH has more control.

odessa
09-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes it's great to be able to do both, as when you are on the run, hitting 1H is a lot easier. When not, the 2HBH has more control.

If you are not talking about onehanded slice but drive or topspin i would like to take the other side : A two hander is easier to hit when you are in full gear. open stance is more natural for two handers.

To the original poster.
In theorie playing two handed as return and from the basline and use the onehanded shot as attacking approach shot sounds tempting. But i am sceptical because you have make alot of decision.

What can you do with the one hander topspin/drive that you cantdo with the two hander and vic versa ?

Triple S
09-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Is it? I use a onehanded for slice, or when I'm rushed or on the run, but If I'm in control I start to use a two handed backhand. I guess I use my onehander to set up points, and my forehand or 2hbh ro end them. Thy're both pretty consistent, and they have decent pace to them.

That is exactly what I do. Some shots feel more comfortable for me using one-handed, while others feel better using two. I don't really see a problem doing this as long as you're consistent with it.

ta11geese3
09-05-2006, 07:22 PM

1. Just about no one slices with a 2hb.
2. Mention of a 1hb slice.
3. No mention of a topspin/flat 1hb anywhere.

Therefore it was safe (and logical) for punisha to assume that you only used your 1hb for slicing, which is what 2hb pros do.

Anyways, this isn't worth arguing about.

tennis_hand
09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
2hbh to return serve is definitely better at the backhand side, unless you are stretched. That is what i do, though in playing I use my inconsistent 1hbh.

stormholloway
09-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I don't understand how to return with a one hander yet. I see the pros use a very small loop. They just abbreviate the stroke but I can't generate proper pace here. It's also harder to coordinate.