PDA

View Full Version : Should we or should we not.....

Delzac
09-05-2006, 05:05 AM
hi all,

Should we just whack dam hard on the oppositions face to win a point.....or should we not?

and how many of u will do that?

chess9
09-05-2006, 05:14 AM
I have enough trouble keeping the ball between the lines. How am I going to aim for the face? Most players at the 5.0 and lower levels will not be able to head hunt. It's more likely that they would accidentally hit someone in the head. I've done it several times, but never on purpose.

-Robert

Tim Tennis
09-05-2006, 06:14 AM
No, I won't on a sitter close to the net and the opponent is almost defenseless. I will try to hit the ball at their feet. Sure I try to pound it but not with the intent of hitting anyone. The tennis ball can and will put eyes out.

armand
09-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Well, usually I won't but a couple of months ago I was playing in my doubles league and this older dude was totally crowding the net, he was almost reaching over the net to hit volleys. He was getting the best of us and I had to do something, so much like a pitcher brushing off a batter who's crowding the plate, I hit it right at him as hard as I could. So hard that I didn't even see where it went and all I heard was the sound of his racquet hitting the ground. I look over and he's sprawled on the ground and I apologize.

He backed off and we started winning, dominating actually; it really shook both of them up. And only after the match when we spoke did we find out the ball hit him in the face.

If someone's gonna crowd the net, that's great but, you must exploit the inherit disadvantage of it. And they should be prepared for it as well.

Another thing is that when you get a short ball in doubles and your opponents don't back off from the net. That's a sign that they don't respect your power and you have to make them respect it but putting a little fear into them and hit right at them.

kevhen
09-05-2006, 06:42 AM
I always aim for the feet or as low on the body if I go at anyone and usually try to hit just a little bit away from as well. Who in their right mind would aim at someone's face?????

Delzac
09-05-2006, 06:56 AM
erm..... for the pure excitement of seeing blood? :P

Anyway what is the worst injury u guys have seen due to an opponent whacking the other guy?(using tennis ball)

nViATi
09-05-2006, 07:54 AM
hi all,

Should we just whack dam hard on the oppositions face to win a point.....or should we not?

and how many of u will do that?
Either way it's not a good strategy you'll most likely hit it way long.

HyperHorse
09-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Go for the chest... It also depends on what shot you're hitting.. and how much you hate your opponent, how much of a jackass/cheat etc they are...

Mick
09-05-2006, 08:15 AM
the problem with doing that is your opponent will do the same to you.

Delzac
09-05-2006, 08:20 AM
but if we can put him out of the game for gd, wouldn't it be nice?

kevhen
09-05-2006, 08:21 AM
I have left bruises on several women I was hitting serves too since they didn't move quick enough to get out of the way. I don't think I have seen any serious injuries from going at the net player, just the occasional shot to the stomach or groin that causes them to bend over for a minute or so.

The scariest moment for myself was when my female partner had her serve hit me in the ear and my hearing went away for a minute or two, just a low throbbing hum. Tennis balls can be dangerous but seem less dangerous than the other sports I play. A soccer ball to the groin is not much fun and this summer a guy stealing third got hit with a hard ground ball to his groin. I took an 80mph baseball to the back of the arm early in the season and that stung a little so tennis balls generally don't scare me compared to baseballs, soccer balls, high speed ski falls, etc.

equinox
09-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Well, usually I won't but a couple of months ago I was playing in my doubles league and this older dude was totally crowding the net, he was almost reaching over the net to hit volleys. He was getting the best of us and I had to do something, so much like a pitcher brushing off a batter who's crowding the plate, I hit it right at him as hard as I could. So hard that I didn't even see where it went and all I heard was the sound of his racquet hitting the ground. I look over and he's sprawled on the ground and I apologize.

He backed off and we started winning, dominating actually; it really shook both of them up. And only after the match when we spoke did we find out the ball hit him in the face.

If someone's gonna crowd the net, that's great but, you must exploit the inherit disadvantage of it. And they should be prepared for it as well.

Another thing is that when you get a short ball in doubles and your opponents don't back off from the net. That's a sign that they don't respect your power and you have to make them respect it but putting a little fear into them and hit right at them.
I clobbered someone right on the knogging while poaching a return. I couldn't miss him, he was crowding the net. He went down and started bleeding from the nose. 5-10 minutes he was back ok. We won in 3 sets after that Mob "HiT". :rolleyes:

equinox
09-05-2006, 08:34 AM
I have left bruises on several women I was hitting serves too since they didn't move quick enough to get out of the way. I don't think I have seen any serious injuries from going at the net player, just the occasional shot to the stomach or groin that causes them to bend over for a minute or so.

The scariest moment for myself was when my female partner had her serve hit me in the ear and my hearing went away for a minute or two, just a low throbbing hum. Tennis balls can be dangerous but seem less dangerous than the other sports I play. A soccer ball to the groin is not much fun and this summer a guy stealing third got hit with a hard ground ball to his groin. I took an 80mph baseball to the back of the arm early in the season and that stung a little so tennis balls generally don't scare me compared to baseballs, soccer balls, high speed ski falls, etc.
That's funny. I sometime hit the women on my serves, you'll get a loud scream while they try an jump away and then hear a sickening thud sound. :D

zhan
09-05-2006, 08:39 AM
how u figure to hit him in the face ... he can dodge and ur ball is going out...
better aim for torso and dont hit totally flat ...
topspin + pace so if he dodge it then it goes in for a winner, if he hits it then he'll have a hard time handling pace...

Delzac
09-05-2006, 08:41 AM
but say he alrdy cream u 5-0, this is ur last game point, given a chance to put him out of the game how many of u will do it. :)

Delzac
09-05-2006, 08:52 AM
BTW has there been case where players become blind due to being shot at point blank.

hiya
09-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Go for the chest...I always aim for the feet I say if you're going to hit your opponent, you might as well go for the crotch.

Go big or not at all! :D

Bagumbawalla
09-05-2006, 09:14 AM
I have been participating on this board for only a short while, and, already, I have seen this topic/question posed eight or ten times.

Obviously there are lots of people out there that enjoy intimidating the oponet for its own sake. and want permision/justification to do so.

Play the game to win. If one has to resort to aiming for someone's face to do so-- they are in pretty bad shape, as an effective tennis player and as a human human being.

Yes, it is sometimes advisable to aim at a person if that is your only/best shot. 99.99% of the time it is more effective to hit AWAY form your opponent.

Intent/motivation will determine if the shot is truely justified of if the player just a sociopath.

About a month ago I was playing doubles and one of the opponents hit (I counted) 12 shots right at me. Two of those I flubbed (one into the net, the other hit me in the armpit area). The other ten I hit back for winners or set up a winner.

Why did the guy persist with a losing strategy???

Moves
09-05-2006, 10:44 AM
In singles you have a lot more open court to hit to. In doubles you're left with no choice at times.

What I can't stand are people who stand a foot from the net and then I get a sitter a foot from the net right in front of them and they just stand there! :confused:

This really old guy did that to me a few weeks ago, I didn't want to hit him, so I hit it cross-court. Well, sure enough, his partner picked it up...

Then there is this other guy I play with... When I get a sitter at the net, he will deliberately sprint right at me with his racquet covering his face. He was the first guy that I started deliberately trying to hit with the ball. Why? I figured the only reason he rushes straight for me is to intimidate me and play on my sympathies that I will try to hit around him. I warned him and said it was tactically a stupid play (he never actually hits the ball with this move) and that that only thing he could be trying to achieve is that I won't hit the ball at him.

After that it became a long war of net dominate between he and I. I won... :cool:

- Moves

ucd_ace
09-05-2006, 01:39 PM
I've only hit one person in the face... that's not including the strange incident where my opponent hit himself in the face with his racquet trying to protect himself (he needed 7 stiches in his lip after that)... the person I hit in the face got a really bad bloody nose and retired. So, I guess I've actually been pressented this question in a match. My answer was yes.

armand
09-05-2006, 03:21 PM
In singles you have a lot more open court to hit to. In doubles you're left with no choice at times.

What I can't stand are people who stand a foot from the net and then I get a sitter a foot from the net right in front of them and they just stand there! :confused:

This really old guy did that to me a few weeks ago, I didn't want to hit him, so I hit it cross-court. Well, sure enough, his partner picked it up...

Then there is this other guy I play with... When I get a sitter at the net, he will deliberately sprint right at me with his racquet covering his face. He was the first guy that I started deliberately trying to hit with the ball. Why? I figured the only reason he rushes straight for me is to intimidate me and play on my sympathies that I will try to hit around him. I warned him and said it was tactically a stupid play (he never actually hits the ball with this move) and that that only thing he could be trying to achieve is that I won't hit the ball at him.

After that it became a long war of net dominate between he and I. I won... :cool:

- MovesPretty funny! I can just imagine that dude running with his racquet in front of his face. I used to do that as a kid sometimes.

As for the first part, I am confused by that as well. I know my opponents know that I have enough power in my shots to hurt them, so why don't they move back?! My guess is that they're not quick enough to think on their feet and so they do only what they know how.

Bagumbawalla
09-05-2006, 06:11 PM
If a player rushes the net and makes purpously distracting motions, stomping. waving the racket about, calling out. Simply stop play and take a point. This is an avoidable hindereance.

More often than not, that behavior falls into a gray area. I might just hit at him also, (though that may be what he wants in the first place). If it was just a "friendly" game, I would stop and find someone else to play who is not a jerk.

It is important for concentration not to get your mind "divided" with more than one objective-- wining the point/smashing the guy's face.

donnyz89
09-05-2006, 06:15 PM
I wouldnt aim for the face... someone with quick reflexes can get it and put it away. I might for the waist or lower, and besides, aiming for the face on a shortball would send them long if you dont hit the target.

Zets147
09-14-2006, 02:53 PM
I got hit in the face with an overhead once (it bounced first luckily).
My face went numb and it cut me on the cheek.
Needless to say, my white shirt was red 5 mins later.

This event has scarred me for life. (Pun intended) MY FACE IS SCARRED WTF!

How could I have not dodged this you ask?
Well, let me tell you.
A ball rolled on to the court from another court and I looked at it for a second only to realize .05 seconds later that my partner threw up a weak lob for the opposing team.

The other team had the nerve to say, "You're supposed to call for a let"
I replied, "My face is numb..." and kept wiping the blood off with my shirt.
The End.

drakulie
09-14-2006, 03:20 PM
About a month ago I was playing doubles and one of the opponents hit (I counted) 12 shots right at me. Two of those I flubbed (one into the net, the other hit me in the armpit area). The other ten I hit back for winners or set up a winner. Why did the guy persist with a losing strategy???

Did you guys win or lose the match?

patrick922
09-14-2006, 03:38 PM
well it depends on who im playing; if i am playing doubles with some friends i would refrain from hitting it at their face, i would hit it at the netman's direction though [preferably the waist down]. but if it is someone i hate i would hit it at thier direction but i would hit it at the neck down [preferably the chest down. but i wouldnt do this occasionally; it is just mean and gamesmanship

tempura_MAKI
09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
the only doubles matches I play are against 2 people I dislike alot. they think they are the ***** playing all aggressive at the net. Not when they finish after 2 sets with bruises on their upper body. I aim in hopes to make them retire early. As you can see I dont like these people.

chroix
09-14-2006, 08:17 PM
"99.99% of the time it is more effective to hit AWAY form your opponent."

Ditto that. If I hit at someone it is at their feet.

varuscelli
09-14-2006, 10:21 PM
but if we can put him out of the game for gd, wouldn't it be nice?

Hmmm, I thought the poll was about hitting him in the face to win a point. You'll need to start another poll if you want to find out how many people want to put the opponent out of the game for good. How about this poll: "How many people want to hurt the opponent so badly that everyone gets to pack it in and go home early after 10 minutes of play?" Oh, wait...wouldn't that defeat the purpose of going out to play? I'm so confused... :p

Jeez, even the original question suggests setting up a lose/lose scenario. You potentially hurt the guy badly enough by hitting him in the face and everyone gets to stop playing. Nice way to spend a day. :rolleyes:

Next poll, please.

Hot Sauce
09-14-2006, 10:21 PM
I say its all fair game, but it's not very nice to purposely aim for the person.

mahouFuji
09-14-2006, 10:38 PM
no... thats dirty just try to hit a winner off him would u feel good after winning like a loser?

You cannot be serious !!!
09-15-2006, 04:35 AM
I've only hit the ball to the back of my double's partner's head and also up my mix doubles partner's skirt to her butt, but never on purpose and never to my opponents face..... not yet anyway