PDA

View Full Version : Flat hitter

sexmachine
09-05-2006, 06:20 AM
I play against a guy who is a technically better player and has been playing a lot longer, getting great experience and improved technique and movement playing him but i'm suffering in 2 particular areas...

1. I hit with heavy top spin for safety, but this makes put aways difficult cause he has great court coverage... I'm not paying very long so angles and flat hitting lead to a lot of errors.

2. He hits very flat and i use a semi-western to full western grip so i struggle 2 return many of his strokes....

Can anyone give me any tips, bar comin 2 the net cause he passes me like i was a little old woman...

emcee
09-05-2006, 06:24 AM
You shouldn't be too hard on yourself if the guy is better than you, like you say. Losing is nothing to hang your head about in this case.

If he hits flat, I'd try to get him as many low balls as possible. Do you have a good slice backhand? I'd try slicing a lot of shots and maybe slicing a few shots near the service line, to see if he can hit a flat shot from that position. It's not too easy.

MasterTS
09-05-2006, 06:43 AM
Flat hitters usually don't like balls without pace, and also don't like very high balls or very low balls. They like medium to fast pace balls in 'strike' zone. You feed them these medium to fast pace balls and they'll eat you up like hewitt. Throw in a few loopers and slices and lets see how consistent their 'flat' hitting becomes.

hiya
09-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Flat hitters usually don't like balls without pace, and also don't like very high balls or very low balls. They like medium to fast pace balls in 'strike' zone. You feed them these medium to fast pace balls and they'll eat you up like hewitt. Throw in a few loopers and slices and lets see how consistent their 'flat' hitting becomes.Hm, I think I disagree with that. I'm a flat hitter myself and I LOVE high balls. It gives me much more angle to clear the net so I can just take a whack at it without any top spin. I think you should try to keep the ball low with slices. Also hit deep with a lot of topspin. Change it up a bit.

LuckyR
09-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Interesting moniker by the way, I hope you can back it up... Anyway, I would take a different tack than some of the above advice. Since you say you hit with a lot of topspin. I wouldn't start using a bunch of slice for this one guy. Rather I would stick with your strength (topspin) and go for more acute angles, a la Nadal. True this will open up the court for the other guy and he may pass you a bunch of times with flat winners, but he will be shooting into small areas of the court with a shot without spin and will have a moderate to high chance of hitting the ball out. Also he will tire somewhat as he tries to get to the shots and so his trend will be to become more inaccurate as the match progresses. So you may win in three sets after dropping the first.

Amone
09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
But, Lucky, what's the problem with your theory there??

Your suggestion's posterboy, Nadal, is the b*tch of flat hitters!

Bagumbawalla
09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I, also, suggest you go with your strength.

Try hitting through the ball a bit more. Topspin tends to sacrifice depth and speed for the spin. Concentrate on foreward momentum. Your natural topspin will take care of itself.

I also suggest you practice more and play fewer sets. Your partners should appreciate the opportunity of helping you improve.

As far as tactics, the topspin enables you to hit at greater angles and keep the ball in court. Try that. Come in on any short balls and aim for the open court.

WayneCM
09-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Yeah thats good advise

sexmachine
09-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Tried sum of ur suggestions... Worked out well, seems my friend has a big problem with balls over shoulder height on the backhand side, he couldn't take it on the rise so i was able 2 get 2 the net... He also made a lot of errors when i played the ball short... My back hand slice... She's not so good, but the result was better but got crunched in the end: 1-6, 7-6(4), 2-6... He ate up any deep balls and tried the angles and paid with either errors r him hitting winners...

LuckyR
09-06-2006, 07:58 AM
But, Lucky, what's the problem with your theory there??

Your suggestion's posterboy, Nadal, is the b*tch of flat hitters!

At the Pro level, you are correct. I assumed the "machine" wasn't a Professional. At this level, more points are lost by errors than are won on winners. I stand by my advice.

mahouFuji
09-06-2006, 08:33 AM
flat hitters are inconsistant dont try to match their shots just slice em back they'll kill themself

nViATi
09-06-2006, 01:55 PM
flat hitters are inconsistant dont try to match their shots just slice em back they'll kill themself
Just because somebody hits flat doesn't mean that they are inconsistent. Agassi hits pretty flat and he's still very consistent. I hit one of the flattest forehands on my team but I am one of the more consistent guys.

mahouFuji
09-13-2006, 09:13 AM
yea but agassi doesnt try to one hit ko the ball does he