PDA

View Full Version : What are some good tips for a 3 set match?...

LazyAzN
09-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Well, I usually play 1 set matches, and not a whole best of 3 set match. I've done conditioning, but I don't know how well prepared I am for playing a 3 set match...

Are there any tips you can give me to help sort of adjust from a 1 set match to 3 set matches?... Since I'm in the top 4 of JV, I have to play in singles... Just wondering how hard it will be for me. Probably it will be more of a mental game wouldn't it?.

Thanks.

Caswell
09-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Aside from the obvious conditioning, it's mostly mental (IMHO).

I know that pounding someone in the first set will often clear any nerves they were fighting in the first set, and they'll come out swinging in the second. My last two USTA tournament wins were like this; 6-0, 6-3 in one and 6-1, 6-4 in the other.

Geezer Guy
09-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Winning the first two sets is the key to winning a best-of-3 set match.

BumperJeep
09-05-2006, 03:55 PM
lol Geezer Guy. From my experience with the best of three set matches, whatever you do, DON'T lose the first set. I have never won a best of 3 set match when I lost the first set. In HS JV, you just need to stay consistent. You have to hold your serve and keeep the errors low. If you can do that, you don't even have to hit winners. Your set!

Bagumbawalla
09-05-2006, 04:28 PM
First, confidence is essential. Be confident in your own game, Work on your serve to get some easy points. Make the opponent feel he (or she) has to fight for every point off your serve.

Work on your return of serve. If your opponent feels pressured, he/she may go for too much and overhit.

Do not show weakness. Over three sets, if you have some weakness, they will be sure to see it an take advantage. Work on every aspect of your game.

Attitude is more important than you think. Do not let them see you tire or bow your head or slouch about. If they are the least bit intimidated they will get tight.

Run them about, from side to side and drop shot them, as well. Drain them of strength, if you can.

Build up your legs. Run up stairs, run at least 3 miles 3 time a week (more, depending on your level of play). Jump rope. Do lots of sit-ups and push-ups.

Watch their game. work at their weakness, Don't give them balls they like (if you can help it).

Change your pace. Don't let them get too used to anything.

Good luck,

B

drakulie
09-05-2006, 05:12 PM
In a third set, do whatever worked and helped you win the set you won.