PDA

View Full Version : USTA Nationals in Tuscon, AZ Oct. 6-8

KFwinds
09-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Just curious; anybody here on a 3.5 or 3.0 USTA team going to Nationals in October? I'm on the 3.5 mens team from the ******* (we're from the Chicago area) and thought it might be interesting to meet some people I normally would not get to meet from the boards here, so feel free to get in touch; I'm arriving on Thursday...

KFwinds
09-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Forgot you can't type "m i d w e s t" because it is a TW competitor 8)

evw
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
no, but my NorCal 5.5 team is going to nationals in Vegas.

I played the 4.5 nationals in Arizona a few years ago. Great tennis weather in October. The facilities are decent but not great, good Japaneese a few blocks away...the lunch special is a deal. Hotels are walking distance from the courts. I think only one guy in the group bothered to get a car.

good luck!

benh2023
09-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Hello KF....my team will be representing Northern California...3.5's at the Nationals!!! So we will probably be meeting on the courts. My team is from the San Francisco Bay Area/East Bay/Fremont area. I'm coming in on Thursday as well...need to get the lay of the land as I've never been to Tuscon (or AZ ) at all....I, also am looking forward to making some new friends and meeting some folks from around the US. Congrats to you for making it all the way to "the big one". We are very excited and practicing hard so we can compete as best we are able. Ben...Nor/Cal USTA.

jamauss
09-15-2006, 12:58 AM
dang...where are these being played at? I live near Phoenix.

evw
10-04-2006, 01:08 PM
post results when you return.

my team took second

Ronaldo
10-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Our team represented the *******/Western back in 1997 & 1999. The elevation in Tucson is higher than we are used to, tough to track lobs.

benh2023
10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm happy to say that I'm representing the Norcal team which just won the USTA 3.5 Men's Adult league Championships in Tucson, AZ. Competition was fierce...weather was even fiercer!!!!! Met some wonderful folks from around the US....had some very memorable matches.....and I'm proud to have made it all the way to the National Championships......hopefully, everyone made it home safely.....I'm nursing a sore knee, hamstring, and wrist!!!!! but it's all good......take care, and thanks for a great experience!! Ben Horner/Norcal.

brtennis
10-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Congrats, Ben, what an accomplishment:) Every players in your team should be on the cover of Kellogg's cereal box:)

Our 3.5 Baton Rouge team represents the southern division and losed in the preliminary round.

What do you mean by "weather was even fiercer!!!!!"(I wasn't there)?

Ronaldo
10-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Congrats, Ben, what an accomplishment:) Every players in your team should be on the cover of Kellogg's cereal box:)

Our 3.5 Baton Rouge team represents the southern division and losed in the preliminary round.

What do you mean by "weather was even fiercer!!!!!"(I wasn't there)?

Or Wheaties even, a lil cut and paste job for sure

benh2023
10-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Overall, the weather was pretty nice...in the low 90's...high 80's maybe.....being from the Bay Area...we like it a little cooler....but the real weather event was the very impressive display of lightning, thunderbolts, and hard rain and hail that come down on Sunday night!!! Thank heaven after the tourny was over!!! Someone at the hotel called it "Arizona snow"!!!! It was pretty spectacular!! Here in CA we don't have big visual displays of weather so I was somewhat impressed.

The tennis was equally as spectacular...all the men's 3.5 teams were extremely competitive with mostly younger (20's-30's) singles players and us old-timers (47) playing doubles...our team was lucky because we came with 18 players so we were able to rotate in fresh teams in each match....we had a core group of five very solid doubles teams and four singles players...that turned out to be key in the last couple of rounds because players were getting a bit tired....every player on our team played in at least one match...which made this a very special year..

The tennis itself was very high-quality....all teams served and volleyed and really had no weaknesses.....most had big kick serves which really bounced on the gritty slow courts of the Randolph tennis center...the teams that won were able to do so with a little bit of luck, good physical preparation, and the ability to stay in the moment and not let the crowds get to your nerves....

But, for anyone going in the future...it's no relaxing vacation, that's for sure...we were up on the practice courts nearby by 0645 each morning to get ready for the early matches...then we were practicing again in the afternoon....and our players that were not actually in the line-up were scouting the next rounds opponants....

Our team was made up of players from all over the Bay Area that play at a public court facility...we reresented 7 different countries and spoke as many languages...we practiced a minimum of three times per week beginning in April and our captain had a standing rule....no practice...no play. We did round robins, played against neighboring teams, and entered USTA tournys to stay sharp....overall, everyone was very committed...we had one member that halfway thru the season moved to Utah and he actually flew back and fourth a number of times in order to make it to the districts and the sectionals....

another thing I noticed during match play was that most of our members were finess players as opposed to huge hitters.....we ran into a lot of huge serves and forehands....but managed to take the net with simple block volleys and counter with good lobs.....the teams that could execute with a variety of shots.....short, deep, slice, chips, lobs, drives, safe returns with an occasional up the line...were the one's that were the most successful.

Anyway, that's pretty much it on the trip.....and for those of you that think that all the players had nerves of steel!!!! Forget about it!!!! I doublefaulted three times in my first service game in front of a ton of people!!! Then I got it together and played a pretty solid and fun match!!!!

Again, congratulations to all the teams that participated, we met some wonderful folks from all around th country with one thing in common....the love of the game. Ben Horner/Norcal.

brtennis
10-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Ben,

That is a very nice report. Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks.

Wow, 18. It is no luck that you guys won when you can send that many players there. Although we do have very good players in our team, we had only half of what you had, 9, one being non-playing captain and another had severe bad spasm on the first day.....

oldguysrule
10-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Congrats to Benh2023 and Norcal. We had a common opponent in the Texas team that ya'll played. We met them at sectionals.

You had a nice league season. Say hello to 4.0 next year.

Ronaldo
10-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Congrats to Benh2023 and Norcal. We had a common opponent in the Texas team that ya'll played. We met them at sectionals.

You had a nice league season. Say hello to 4.0 next year.

Not necessarily. Me and my partner were undefeated at District, State, Sectional, and National championship level at 3.5, 12-0. We were not moved up. However we played #2 Dubs until Nat'ls.

oldguysrule
10-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Not necessarily. Me and my partner were undefeated at District, State, Sectional, and National championship level at 3.5, 12-0. We were not moved up. However we played #2 Dubs until Nat'ls.

I thought it was kind of a given that you got bumped if you went to Nationals. I guess that went out when the dynamic rating system came in. Now, it doesn't matter where you are playing...just who you are playing.

btw, did you know that the line you play (#1, 2, etc.) has no signifcance in terms of your relative ability level on the team? You can put your best players at any line.

Ronaldo
10-11-2006, 12:22 PM
I thought it was kind of a given that you got bumped if you went to Nationals. I guess that went out when the dynamic rating system came in. Now, it doesn't matter where you are playing...just who you are playing.

btw, did you know that the line you play (#1, 2, etc.) has no signifcance in terms of your relative ability level on the team? You can put your best players at any line.

Yes, learned that lining up to strength it is not required.

Geezer Guy
10-11-2006, 12:46 PM
I think when a team goes to Nationals (or maybe they have to WIN Nationals) the team has to disband. They have to "at least" split in half to two teams, and each team take on more players. I could certainly be wrong...

Ronaldo
10-11-2006, 05:07 PM
I think when a team goes to Nationals (or maybe they have to WIN Nationals) the team has to disband. They have to "at least" split in half to two teams, and each team take on more players. I could certainly be wrong...

Dead right. Imagine our dilemna when only two players were rated up to 4.0 and only three members could play together on the same team the next year.
And the members not picked by our captain played his team in playoffs. Payback baby, players discarded go to state playoffs the next year, we lose and get rated up.

KFwinds
10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm happy to say that I'm representing the Norcal team which just won the USTA 3.5 Men's Adult league Championships in Tucson, AZ. Competition was fierce...weather was even fiercer!!!!! Met some wonderful folks from around the US....had some very memorable matches.....and I'm proud to have made it all the way to the National Championships......hopefully, everyone made it home safely.....I'm nursing a sore knee, hamstring, and wrist!!!!! but it's all good......take care, and thanks for a great experience!! Ben Horner/Norcal.

Hey, Ben -

Congrats! We took third - I played for the team from Illinois. We didn't get to play you guys because we lost to NJ in the semis :(

I didn't get to see any of your matches, but I heard you guys had a pretty great team. It definitely was an outstanding tournament.

Kevin

KFwinds
10-11-2006, 10:42 PM

That's correct. Only three players from a Nationals team can play together on the same team the following season (if they don't move up to the next level).

benh2023
10-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Here's the skinny on the ratings for our team that just came back from Nationals.....we had 20 active players on the roster....of that 20 half (10 guys) got "ESR" (Early Start Ratings) back in June of 4.0. I expect several of the others, myself included, to also get moved up in November when the Year-End ratings come out.

Looking back at the district and sectional play-offs I see that there were many really strong teams that were capable of making it to post season play....I did not notice a really big difference in the level of play at the National Championships, at the doubles level....but I did notice it at the singles level....most of the winning singles players were very high 3.5's in the beginning of the season then got ESR ratings and were even better by the time they reached the Tucson tourny...coupled with the vigor of youth......!!!!

Anyway, I think the ticket is having four to five good doubles teams and four solid singles players with contrasting styles....I noticed a lot of back-court grinders in the singles draw...not to many serve/volleyers...some all-court players.....all the singles players were extremely fit.......for myself, I'm going to take a little time off...then concentrate on playing some singles tourny's...which is really my favorite...I just wasn't young enough or good enough on this team to compete at singles....but I'll be out there like the rest of you...practicing on the machine...banging against the wall....and taking a lesson or two when I can fit it in with my busy work schedule......!!! If you guys are ever in the Bay Area/San Jose.....let me know.....we'll hit a few and trade some stories...!!!! Cheers, Ben.