PDA

View Full Version : Fanning the racquet head on serve

tennus
09-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Ok, this is probably one for the coaches. I just watched Gasquet v Hewitt and was amazed by the different angles of their racquet heads in the trophy position. Hewitt tends to fan open(RACQUET FACE TOWARD THE SKY) far earlier than most I've seen whereas Gasquet seems to have his tip pointing to the sky but with some funny wrist tilt going on. Well, it seems to work for them but which do you think is the more reliable method ?:confused:

TylerWeekes
09-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Ok, this is probably one for the coaches. I just watched Gasquet v Hewitt and was amazed by the different angles of their racquet heads in the trophy position. Hewitt tends to fan open(RACQUET FACE TOWARD THE SKY) far earlier than most I've seen whereas Gasquet seems to have his tip pointing to the sky but with some funny wrist tilt going on. Well, it seems to work for them but which do you think is the more reliable method ?:confused:

You are talking about palm up versus palm down in the external rotation phase correct? Put your palm facing the sky like a waiter's tray and move the elbow backwards into scapular retraction. You will feel the shoulder tighten up pretty good. Now face your palm down and do the same thing. You will notice it is much more relaxed and your range of motion will increase.

Any tightness felt prior to acceleration of the upper arm can lead to injury. External rotation is an important phase of the serve because it increases the length of the radius the fourth link of the kinetic chain (the upper arm). Power is related to the length of the radius. Consistency is related to comfort. Facing the palm downward will give you the results you are looking for.

-Tyler:D

tennus
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
You are talking about palm up versus palm down in the external rotation phase correct? Put your palm facing the sky like a waiter's tray and move the elbow backwards into scapular retraction. You will feel the shoulder tighten up pretty good. Now face your palm down and do the same thing. You will notice it is much more relaxed and your range of motion will increase.

Any tightness felt prior to acceleration of the upper arm can lead to injury. External rotation is an important phase of the serve because it increases the length of the radius the fourth link of the kinetic chain (the upper arm). Power is related to the length of the radius. Consistency is related to comfort. Facing the palm downward will give you the results you are looking for.

-Tyler:D
Thanks Tyler. :)