PDA

View Full Version : First time college player (DII) - Tips needed!

POGforEver
09-05-2006, 01:55 PM
I go to Bryant University in Rhode Island and I'm going out for the tennis team for the first time. I saw a few of the guys hit today and they look pretty soild. I've been playing for over 13 years and have been coached most of that time. Any of you guys out there play DII and have some tips for a first year player? The team has 6 starting spots and 12 spots all together. I'm not looking to go in and take over someone's spot but I know I'm good enough to start. So any tips from DII or even DI players (current and former) would be really greatful. THANKS!

Steven87
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Stay focused, try to strike the ball clean, and play smart. Thats the best you can do for yourself in this situation

Kaptain Karl
09-05-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm a former HS Coach ... and long ago was a college scholarship player. Div II is ... curious. Two college kids from our local Ladder tried-out for their respective Div II teams just last week. The obviously worse player of the two MADE his team. The far superior player did NOT make his school's team. (He's being told he would have been the next guy on the team, but "Rules is rules." They're only keeping "x" number.)

I'd suggest that your skills and abilities "are what they are" by now. Get good rest and be ready.

My "advice" is to remember how important Attitude is. It could be the "tie-breaker" between you and another eager walk-on.

Don't be a "kiss-up" but ... hustle ... help pick up balls ... ask questions if you don't understand instructions (Don't "pretend" you understand and try to "fake it.").

There's nothing wrong with dropping by the Coach's office and asking him what criterion he will use to make cuts ... beyond challenge match results. You may pick up a "pearl" the other Try Outs don't know of....

Oh yeah! Have fun!

- KK