PDA

View Full Version : Miami

shelaw
09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Does anyone know anything about the Crandon Park facility in Key Biscayne. I've already decided to go to the Nasdaq-100 in March of next year but since this is my first tennis outing, I'm not spending a lot on tickets. I'm sure I'll be stuck up in the upper decks. I just wanted to know how far away I'd actually be from the court. Do the players look like dots? Is it possible to get a good view from a regular pair of binoculars? My digital camera has a 6x zoom but I really wanted to get up close and personal with a few photos. Can anyone give me an idea of exactly how far away it is? Thanks.

tennis_lover
09-06-2006, 07:37 AM
I made my first trip there last year and worked as a volunteer. I was doing Stadium Ticket Checking so I got to watch all the big matches from a great view. If you're in the 400 level (uppermost level) of course the view is not gonna be as good but I watched the Hingis-Kuznetsova match from the 400 level last year and I had no problem seeing the players or the ball. The main difference I felt was that at the lower levels you feel more like part of the show. But all in all, it's a great tournament with great matches even on the other courts so you'll have a great time regardless. Where are you coming from?

shelaw
09-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm only coming across the state from Largo near Tampa. It will take about five hours to get there. I know it still so far away but I'm already excited. I've seen pictures of the stadium on the web but I still can't get a feel for how far away I'm going to be. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Wow, how cool to be a volunteer. Do you get up close and personal with the players?

oscar_2424
09-06-2006, 04:50 PM
if you go on the 1st rounf its better to stay on the smaller courts, you see alot of players practicing and you can get great shots

Mr Harharwood
09-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Dont worry about tickets in the upper deck, there fine. The important thing is that you have a ticket and that allows you to all the courts. The grandstand is the best, its pretty small and you can just walk in a sit wherever you want, usually you can get within the first couple rows.

And the best part of all..... you can hangout by the practice courts all day watch them warm up. Its fun to see how they practice. Some are more serious than others. Roddick was fun to watch warm up, he actually looked he was enjoying himself. Roger is all business.

As great as you think it will be there, its better. I had the time of my life.

Mr Harharwood
09-06-2006, 09:44 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/858rwv/IM000181.jpgHere is a pic I took from the second row

tennis_lover
09-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Yea I got to hang out in the player lounge in the stadium on the lower level. There's another one upstairs but I didn't have access to that one (that's the one where most players hang out). I also got to hang out in the small courtyard outside the office where a lot of the players have lunch. Very cool! One time I sat next to Anastasia Myskina and we had a little conversation. She's extremely cool and her eyes are crazy beautiful. Of course I got a lot of autographs and stuff like that. Ana Ivanovic gave me a pair of her tennis shoes even. How long are you gonna be in town for?

shelaw
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking of getting the final four pack so I'll probably be there Thursday through Sunday. In looking at the others' responses, I might even try to go the first weekend since I'm only five hours away. Thank you so much to Mr. Harharwood for sending that picture. At least now I know I'll be able to get some good shots. Wish I lived close enough to volunteer. There are so many players I want to see. After watching the U.S. Open, I would love to see Horna play. He really put on a show. As you all might expect, I would love to see Roddick and Federer. I would also like to see Nadal. I still can't believe he got knocked out. He seemed to be on fire. For the women, I really like Kim Clijsters so I hope she recovers from her wrist injury. I'm so glad I found this message board. Thank you all for the info!!!

tennis_lover
09-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Well you live much closer than I do so the choice is really yours. I live in The Bahamas and I volunteered last year. I stayed with a friend who lives about 20 minutes from Crandon Park and I had a blast. I'm not gonna be able to stay with him this year so I've gotta figure out where I'm gonna stay. I'm bringing a friend along with me so we'll probably end up staying in a cheap hotel nearby and renting a car. Volunteering is a great way to go though, I would definitely recommend it. Plus you get first dibs on all merchandise after the final.

shelaw
09-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to take all that time off of work unless you can volunteer for only a few days. If you can, I would seriously consider doing it. If you can, I would love to get more information on how to sign up to be a volunteer. WOW! That would be great!

tennis_lover
09-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Yea I remember them having a program for people who could only devote a few days to volunteer. Check out the website in October when they put up all the info for Volunteering.

i am a tennis freak
09-13-2006, 07:48 AM
is it easy to move down from the 400 level to the 300 when things are not so full.............

shelaw
09-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Does the Nasdaq 100 draw as big of a crowd as the U.S. Open? I think Crandon Park holds only about 14,000 people. I know better than to drift down and sit next to Tiger in Federer's box but if there are open seats in the lower boxes, I would move there if only to take better pictures.

tennis_lover
09-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Does the Nasdaq 100 draw as big of a crowd as the U.S. Open? I think Crandon Park holds only about 14,000 people. I know better than to drift down and sit next to Tiger in Federer's box but if there are open seats in the lower boxes, I would move there if only to take better pictures.

It's not as simple as that. You've gotta have tickets in order to move down to 100 level seating, regardless of how many seats are open. And the Nasdaq... err.. Sony Ericsson Open doesn't draw as many as the US Open but that's because the facility isn't as large. BTW, the 14,000 you are referring to is the seating capacity for Stadium Court. Crandon Park holds many more than 14,000 people, and trust me it gets crowded real quick :D

tennis_lover
09-13-2006, 03:31 PM
is it easy to move down from the 400 level to the 300 when things are not so full.............

Well, it depends. It obviously helps when it's a slow session (medium capacity). Beyond that, it helps to have a cool person working Stadium Ticket Checking (like me lol) to help you out. I work the 100 level (box) seats and I squeezed a few folks in when I had the space this year (got a few pretty tips too).

i am a tennis freak
09-14-2006, 01:44 AM
well , tennis lover----are you working ( volunteering) next yr???

tennis_lover
09-14-2006, 08:57 AM
well , tennis lover----are you working ( volunteering) next yr???

Actually, yes I am. I plan to be there from Friday, March 23 (session 5 or 6) to Sunday, April 1 (session 22).

i am a tennis freak
09-14-2006, 10:23 AM
i just bought the Classic Package which includes all 6 sessions from fri thru sun of the 1st week.......Unfortuntaly they are 400 level seats.....We were at the Us Open this year and had nose bleeds seats...Too far away.........It was next to impossible to move down in that stadium ................We may also do session11 monday (day)............................I see the photos from this stadium and all seats look great except the 400 level..............We would be happy just to move to the 300 level.............but 100 would be great too....................Tennis LOver if you are working this year- can you hook up 2 crazed tennis fans???? It would be much appeciated.........Tip included of course ( lol)....................Coming in from NJ

drakulie
09-14-2006, 10:37 AM
This is how close I got to the players last year at the Nasdaq:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/8-17-2006-22.jpg

Just kidding.

But you will have a great time. Especially during the earlier sessions. There are so many players walking around, practicing, etc. To see them on the practice courts is unreal. You are really close to the action while they are practicing.

The smaller courts, including the Grandstand are also awesome. The action is very close and it is first come first serve.

I got lucky enough to meet Courier and talk with him a bit 2 years ago. Here is a pic: Notice the 2 PS85's LOL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/courier2.jpg

i am a tennis freak
09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
cool pic of courier.............cant wait for miami...........

shelaw
09-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Hey, what about me??? I've always wanted to meet cool people who work Stadium Ticket Checking. Is there room for 1 more???

tennis_lover
09-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Cool pic drakulie. Last year Nick Bolletieri and I laughed it up outside the stadium court one day, it was so surreal. The guy just walks around with no entourage or anything like that, so cool. He actually helped me sell some racquets to this guy from Argentina who didn't believe that my Flexpoint Radicals were the real deal. Thanks Nick! BTW, his tan is frightening...

tennis_lover
09-14-2006, 12:38 PM
i just bought the Classic Package which includes all 6 sessions from fri thru sun of the 1st week.......Unfortuntaly they are 400 level seats.....We were at the Us Open this year and had nose bleeds seats...Too far away.........It was next to impossible to move down in that stadium ................We may also do session11 monday (day)............................I see the photos from this stadium and all seats look great except the 400 level..............We would be happy just to move to the 300 level.............but 100 would be great too....................Tennis LOver if you are working this year- can you hook up 2 crazed tennis fans???? It would be much appeciated.........Tip included of course ( lol)....................Coming in from NJ

I'm sure I'll be able to work something out. I'll be working the box seats so you will be a very lucky 400 level ticket holder :D

tennis_lover
09-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Hey, what about me??? I've always wanted to meet cool people who work Stadium Ticket Checking. Is there room for 1 more???

Lol, sure thing man. When are you planning to be there?

shelaw
09-14-2006, 02:30 PM
I'll be there March 29th through April 1st. I'm getting a Final Four pack. You'll be the COOLEST Stadium Ticket Checker if you can hook me up then!!!! Did someone say practice courts were first come, first serve? I just want a few pictures where the players don't look like specks on the court.

tennis_lover
09-14-2006, 02:55 PM
I'll be there March 29th through April 1st. I'm getting a Final Four pack. You'll be the COOLEST Stadium Ticket Checker if you can hook me up then!!!! Did someone say practice courts were first come, first serve? I just want a few pictures where the players don't look like specks on the court.

Ooooh that might be tough since the finals are normally sold out, especially the box seats where I'll be working. If there's anything open in my section you can be sure I'll hook you up, though. As far as the practice courts go, you'll no doubt be able to get a good look at all your fav. players. just as long as you get to the court early... it gets crazy once word gets around that a Roddick or Federer is practicing on court 8...

drakulie
09-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Cool pic drakulie. Last year Nick Bolletieri and I laughed it up outside the stadium court one day, it was so surreal. The guy just walks around with no entourage or anything like that, so cool. He actually helped me sell some racquets to this guy from Argentina who didn't believe that my Flexpoint Radicals were the real deal. Thanks Nick! BTW, his tan is frightening...

Yeah, I always have a great time there. for the most part, the players are real cool. I have chatted with Bud Collins, Billie Jean King, Serena, Paradorn, Marie Joe Fernandez, etc. I've seen everybody practice there Chris Evert (Lipton), Agassi, Sampras, Mcenroe, Federer, Chang, Guga, Rios, Sharapova, Myskina, Flipper, Williams Sisters, Bjorkman, Gonzalez, etc. You get the point.

But this is my all time favorite picture taken there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/8-17-2006-1.jpg

I have way too much fun there every year.

i am a tennis freak
09-15-2006, 10:03 AM
can anyone recomend affordable lodging near the miami tourney?????

drakulie
09-15-2006, 03:55 PM
That would be rough, because during that time there are lots of tourists so the prices are jacked up.

shelaw
09-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Ooooh that might be tough since the finals are normally sold out, especially the box seats where I'll be working. If there's anything open in my section you can be sure I'll hook you up, though. As far as the practice courts go, you'll no doubt be able to get a good look at all your fav. players. just as long as you get to the court early... it gets crazy once word gets around that a Roddick or Federer is practicing on court 8...

How do you know who's practicing on what court? Do they announce it or is it posted somewhere? How much in advance can you find out who's practicing where? How early do you have to get to the court? How can you stop me from asking a zillion questions?...

i am a tennis freak
09-17-2006, 09:19 AM
keep in touch for the miami tourney ok.............i cant wait for this

tennis_lover
09-18-2006, 08:01 AM
How do you know who's practicing on what court? Do they announce it or is it posted somewhere? How much in advance can you find out who's practicing where? How early do you have to get to the court? How can you stop me from asking a zillion questions?...

Sometimes they announce it, sometimes they don't. As a volunteer last year, I would find out early in the morning what the practice court schedule was so I knew who was gonna be where at what time. Pretty much if you hang out by the practice courts you'll see a big name player at some point during the day. Word of mouth spreads pretty quick too when a Federer or Roddick is practising.

i am a tennis freak
09-29-2006, 06:48 PM
tennis lover.....stay in touch till march....i will be there fri- mon 1st week...............i am in sect 423..................

equinox
12-22-2006, 05:29 AM
bla bla blah blah blaaah blaaaaah...more name dropping.

But this is my all time favorite picture taken there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/8-17-2006-1.jpg

I have way too much fun there every year.

Those 10'ers you slipped down the front really came in handy. :-o