PDA

View Full Version : How to strike a serve?

Reveille1984
09-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Hello all, I am the typical forum noob just looking for some friendly advice :D .

I was just curious, as to whether a Continental grip was supposed to be used for flat as well as slice/topspin serves? I notice that when a lot of you guys are critiquing serves, the first thing you say is to use the Continental grip.

Also, what are some good sites or videos to watch involving the striking motions and techniques of the different types of serves? I have tried reading up on a few different sites, and I can't really get more detail for slice serves and such except for the monotonous "strike the upper outside edge of the ball" advice, which I can't really grasp while still keeping the rest of my service motion fluid.

And thirdly, I've never had tennis lessons before, but have been playing casually for the last few months (I'm 22). For my first lessons, would I be better off just doing something like a small group lesson, or would private (although somewhat expensive :( ) be more worthwhile? I'd say I'm probably 2.0 to low 2.5 level, when trying to judge my ability failry and considering my strengths and weaknesses.

Sorry for the drawn out post, but any advice is appreciated .