PDA

View Full Version : any strategies for doubles WITH a weaker player?

TheRealDan
09-06-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm playing in a company tournament, mixed doubles.
My original partner tore some ligaments and I got a replacement
at the last minute. She's definitely much weaker.

Are ther any strategies anyone can suggest (other than serving aces and poaching everything)?

Thanks,
Dan

remyb2
09-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Have fun, don't **** her off and become the ego-maniac that desperately needs to win. Give her a few tips here and there but don't over do it as this can get very annoying to the other person. If it's a company tournament it's first off a team event.

Other than this, I'd say the strategy would be to have her guide more the alley so you're the one that covers more court. Her court side should also of course be towards her best shot (e.g.: forehand) If she's at the net, cover her back as a few ball will pass her. When she's receiving the serve, you should stay at the baseline as her return will probably be taken by the opponent's net player.

Oh, and make sure she doesn't stand on the service line... you're either at the net or at the baseline ;-)

LuckyR
09-06-2006, 10:57 AM
What can't she do? Is her problem court coverage, poor strokes, poor volleys or what? Is she your boss?

Can't answer intelligently without more info...

Bagumbawalla
09-06-2006, 03:28 PM
It's interesting that when you play freindly doubles, To make the teams "even" the best player always gets paired with the weakest partner.

This does not really make for equal teams because the other side will always hit to the weaker player while the better palyer has to watch his teammate flub up every other shot. Sometimes there's not much you can do.

The advice about having fun was really the best. Make the best of the situation. Practice your shots.

If you really want to try and make a match of it. Serve to get a weak response. Hope your partner can handle it, but come in behind it anyway.

When your partner is serving, give up some of the alley to crowd the center and hope for something you can get your racket on.

Play back from the net farther than you normally would-- move in or back as required by the return.

Chip/slice low balls so they have to hit up (easier for you both to deal with.

Don't be tempted to overhit because your partner is weak-- you will make errors-- blame it on her and increase resentment/frustration.

Play almost exclusively to their weaker player to get the weaker response.

All I can think of, good luck,

B

kalisthenes
09-06-2006, 03:30 PM
take over the whole court

travlerajm
09-06-2006, 03:33 PM
You need to have the weaker player play about 2 feet from the net. That way even if she frames the ball downward, it will still go over the net. And if they lob over her head, that's your ball. So you cover 3/4 of the court (your side plus the area behind her).

This is the standard mixed doubles strategy in 8.0 level, which is dominated by 4.5/3.5 male/female combos. It makes it easier for the the stronger player to take over, because it forces the other team to hit more balls to the stronger player.

TheRealDan
09-07-2006, 05:58 AM
Thanks to all for the advice.
Here's an update.
This is actually for a thing called Corporate Challenge, kind of an olympics among companies in the local area.

To answer one question, my partner is weaker all around, shots, servers, coverage, etc.

We lost our first match 8-0 (we play 1 8-game pro set).
She played very hesitantly on top of being weaker.

Last night we played our first match in the losers bracket and won, in a tie-break 8-7 (9-7).
She actually played much better and I played kind of tight, probably trying to cover too much, poach a little, tried for too many winners, etc.
If I'd played the way I played the first match, we'd have won much easier.
So, it wasn't pretty, but we won.

We play again this evening. If we win our first match tonight we could have a rematch against the team that beat us in the first match.

Dan

zhan
09-07-2006, 06:10 AM
hold serve...
at all cost...
if u playing with weaker teammate ... that means u have less chance to break so u have to make holding serve count...

kevhen
09-07-2006, 06:17 AM
You may have to serve more aggressively than normal as your weaker partner may screw up even when sitting on top of the net.