PDA

View Full Version : I finally played my first "Pusher"...

Moves
09-06-2006, 11:14 AM
After reading many posts and articles on how to beat a pusher on this board I actually faced one for the first time last Tuesday and then again yesterday. This guy is in my tennis ladder and he challenged me.

Sure enough we get playing and everything just starts coming back flat with medium to low pace. In fact his backhand is almost exactly the same as his forehand. Actually it was worse because he would tend to hit his backhand to my backhand!

I start feeling the classic pressure to hit harder and at sharper angles that so many here have eloquently described because everything is just going to come back anyway. :x

I remember to relax and prepare for the long haul points. I am quite good at the net so I come in during rallies and I start making points there. But at least half the time he lobs me and I have to sprint all the way back to retrieve.

My first serve is totally sucking and we just keep breaking each other. Eventually I win my serve and end up winning a tough 6-4 set.

Second set I can see he is mad and starts hitting the ball with a little more pace. Then he starts hitting decent passing shots!! I've shaken up the Pusher and he actually transformed his game to the better!!

Well, my first serve is just creaming the tape throughout the first set and I loose 1-6!!! Oh no!! :cry:

I say to myself I really need to find my first serve and fast or you are going to loose this match. So I start hitting my flat first serve at a medium pace. I ace him. I hit another one for a service winner. I am not even hitting them hard but he starts really having a hard time. Now he is coughing up error and easy net put-aways.

I really knuckle down and make sure I don't give him any key points and my first serve just keeps coming. I end up winning 6-0.

Phew! I survived my first pusher match!! Secret? Come to net and get flat serve in!

So, I played him again last night. I am much more confident now and know I can win. I try to knuckle down right away but he wins his opening service game. My serve is missing and I get broken! Geez... Then he wins his serve and I get broken again!!! ARRGG!! :mad:

I'm sitting 0-4 and again need to call up my "A game" if I'm going to win.

I start my flat first serve at Medium pace again and it starts rolling. I start gobbling up a lot of net balls and I start seeing some errors from his end and see he is feeling pressure from my net play.

On his tap second serves I start nailing the ball like I know I can. When he served to the deuce court I start heavy topspining balls at the cross-court service line corners. They are winners and he has no chance. I do it to him like 4 or 5 times and he is getting depressed at my success with this. Amazingly he doesn't ever cheat that way and make me hit it somewhere else.

Now I'm crushing my flat first serve and he is falling apart. I win the 6 games in a row and win 6-4.

I am determined to keep in rolling in the second and not let him come back like he did last time we played. My first serve keeps coming and now I'm regularly aceing him. My deep heavy topspin is starting to produce errors from him as it messes up his timing. Since my topspin is really coming now I start hitting his short shots with authority and following them to the net for the easy put away.

I'm getting him to think he can't do anything now as even his lobs are feeling pressure and starts tightening up and hitting them short. Which I in turn crush sending him further into depression.

I end up winning the second and final set 6-1 to win the match.

Pusher defeated handedly! YES!!

- Moves

Ripper
09-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Phew! I survived my first pusher match!! Secret? Come to net and get flat serve in!

Not so easy. Every opponent is different. You can't just say this is a pusher and the formula to beat pushers is this and that. Also, some pushers are better than others. They do max out at a certain level, though. Anyway, you beat this guy, because your'e better than him; that's the secret ;)

Congratulations.

boojay
09-06-2006, 11:57 AM
I played my first challenging pusher last weekend too. We tied: 6-0, 4-6, 4-6, 6-1

I won the first set easily cuz all my serves were going in (did not even double fault once). In the middle sets I was double faulting and making unforced errors like crazy. In the fourth set, I implemented my own pusher style....kinda, it was more of me just rallying instead of going for winners. My endurance was much better than my opponent so he ended up making many more mistakes.

All in all though, this pusher was the quickest, most athletic player I've ever played against. I wasn't happy with the result, but next time I will try different things, like coming to the net, which I suck at. I'll have to be more consistent with my power strokes otherwise I might lose some close sets as I did before.

Moves
09-07-2006, 07:58 AM
In the fourth set, I implemented my own pusher style....kinda, it was more of me just rallying instead of going for winners.

Found myself being sucked into this to. You see him just tapping it back over so you start doing it too! :confused:

Luckily I realised I needed to at least take my full swing by the third set of our first match. When we played that second time I started with my regular stroke and by the second set I was blasting shots. :cool:

- Moves

AR15
09-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Sounds like a pretty good "pusher" if he's hitting all of these slices and lobs.

I thought pushers only hit flat shots?:confused:

wyutani
09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Sounds like a pretty good "pusher" if he's hitting all of these slices and lobs.

I thought pushers only hit flat shots?:confused:

i hit flat shots and im no pusher mate...

Andres
09-07-2006, 10:18 AM
i hit flat shots and im no pusher mate...
Yesterday you were a baseliner! You're a net rusher again today, yut? :D