PDA

View Full Version : Thin replacement grips--Any suggestions?

The Dampener
09-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi all,

I now use a PK 5G with a 3/8 grip AND an over grip. But the handle seems "fatter" than my past Wilson and Dunlop 3/8 handles. I prefer a playing with a thick overgrip (Wilson Pro, Gamma Supreme).

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a thin replacement grip that would a) allow me to continue using thick overgrips, and b) get the grip closer to my old, thinner-feeling 3/8 grips.

Any thoughts are truly appreciated.

John

chowdhurynaveen
09-06-2006, 02:29 PM
try head softac with traction and then stretch it when applying....very thin!

good luck! :D

The Dampener
09-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks, chowd. Anyone else? Surely, some of you out there have some wisdom on this matter.

boxingguy
09-06-2006, 08:58 PM
try an overgrip over whatagrip.

LudaKrisKG
09-06-2006, 09:25 PM
it feels different because the grip shapesare different
try leather

SpinItIn
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I had similar issue with my PK grips - felt just a bit big for 4-1/2. I've been happy with Gamma Pro Lite replacement grips. They're quite thin & just the right amount of tackiness to suit me (no overgrip). You might want to give them a try.

The Dampener
09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Spin, thanks for the suggestion. I like Gamma products.

Luda, why use leather? Is it thinner?

Box, what is "whatagrip?" Never heard of it.

Thanks.
J

boxingguy
09-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Whatagrip:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACUNIQUE-CWAG.html

You can pick one up at Wally's for two and a half bucks.

andrew_b
09-08-2006, 09:22 AM
I just switched to Babolat's original VS overgrip. Nice dry feel, and according to the marketing blurb they are the thinnest of all overgrips.

TW has them HERE (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BVS10PK.html)in the more-economical 10-pack (plus you get 2 free, IIRC).

I like the feel, and they are very thin. Durability seems to be slightly above the tournagrip I was using, or at least very similar. Still on the first pair after ~8 sets (so, 4 sets per racket/overgrip), so we'll see how they hold up better as time goes on.

play well,
Andrew

need2paint
09-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi all,

I now use a PK 5G with a 3/8 grip AND an over grip. But the handle seems "fatter" than my past Wilson and Dunlop 3/8 handles. I prefer a playing with a thick overgrip (Wilson Pro, Gamma Supreme).

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a thin replacement grip that would a) allow me to continue using thick overgrips, and b) get the grip closer to my old, thinner-feeling 3/8 grips.

Any thoughts are truly appreciated.

John

Use a leather grip, a Wilson MD Feel, or a Laserfibre Tour Fit.