PDA

View Full Version : my US Open experience

Gugafan_Redux
09-06-2006, 01:24 PM
I put this in a reply to a post in the Pro Player section, and thought I'd air it out here too, in hopes of hearing some commisseration. Or at least to give others a realistic sense of what can happen.

Back in mid-June I bought the Weekend holiday package for the express purpose of seeing Andre before he retired: night sessions for Sat., Sunday, and Monday. Thanks to Baggy's cramps, he survived to the first weekend. He was scheduled for Saturday night session. My plan was looking like genius.

Friday I travelled from Minneapolis. And guess what -- tropical storm Ernesto, 100% chance of rain according to the forecasts. But we went out there anyway, an hour on the subway. And they were right. Saturday was a wash. Back into the city on the subway. Had plenty of beers in the city to tide me over. Got back to grounds Sunday morning at 10:30 (I stayed in Brooklyn with a friend) to swap the rained out session for Sunday day session -- they were all gone. Stood in line for over an hour, getting yelled at by a lady on a bullhorn to have my tickets out when I get to the front of the line. Finally got up near the windows -- about 20 people between me and the swap, and they announced all the Monday day sessions were gone.

Everything after that was soured. I saw Andre's last moments on a TV from a diner near 59th and Lexington. All the other big names (people I wanted to see) were put on Sunday and Monday day session: Roddick, Safin, Nadal, Federer. Blake/Moya was good, but I'd seen Blake before. I saw Berdych/Tursanov in court 11, which is a great court, but Dmitry just swings and swings, whether or not it goes in. Plus, you go for a pee, a beer and something to eat, and your out of your seat for an hour with no guarantee to get back in. (Not to mention the prices.) There were lines for 15 minutes just to get in the men's room.

Seeing Navratilova in the grandstand was fun. Other than that, I'm taking my $600 next year and getting a big TV and cable. All in all, I spent more time in the Subway than I did watching tennis.

A big thumbs down for my first and probably last Open experience.

P.S. The other thing I didn't mention was this. I don't subscribe to cable TV because it's not worth the cost, and I don't care to watch anything else. The advent of internet technology has been a boon, as I've been able to see streaming tennis from the Oz, and many European tourneys. But no one is streaming the USO in the U.S. They sold the rights for streaming to Europe, but they have protection. If you try to watch from an I.P. address in the U.S., you are told it's not available. All the more reason to go to the Open. So it was bitterly ironic being at Hewitt/Gasquet and hearing the announcment in Ashe that tonight's matches were being streaming through USOpen.org. What a treat for the fans! Ha!

Phil
09-07-2006, 01:20 AM
I got rained out there too. You really can't "blame" anyone or anything for the bad run of weather that hit NYC during the USO. In "normal" years, like the last 21, it's been the greatest tennis watching experience one can ever hope to have.

Gugafan_Redux
09-07-2006, 06:18 AM
In "normal" years, like the last 21, it's been the greatest tennis watching experience one can ever hope to have.

Yikes. That's some unabashed hyperbole.

billyboybeacon
09-07-2006, 08:35 AM
if you live in NY like my sister it's great or if you get seats in Armstrong or great seats in Ashe its fun but I have been 3 times and I would take the tourney in cinci everytime..the lines, the outragious prices it's a zoo but I guess that's part of the appeal...

xtremerunnerars
09-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Go to cincy for sure. Haven't been to the open, but i have a coach who's required to go there every year by the usta for the conference. I told him i'd take his place sometime, but he doesn't seem too keen on it :).

cgc76
09-07-2006, 02:44 PM
how's the parking situation with the mets in town? headed up saturday for both sessions, never driven to/in new york before....

Phil
09-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Yikes. That's some unabashed hyperbole.

If you've never been there, how can you say that? You never have, obviously.

nalbandian_fan
09-07-2006, 05:49 PM
the us open was fun, but imho it was nowhere near the nasdaq-100 or cincy. the smaller tournaments are more fun because you can get better seats at lower prices, with shorter waiting times, less time through security, less time waiting in line for food... which makes a much more relaxed fun experience than at the open.

Phil
09-08-2006, 02:32 AM
the us open was fun, but imho it was nowhere near the nasdaq-100 or cincy. the smaller tournaments are more fun because you can get better seats at lower prices, with shorter waiting times, less time through security, less time waiting in line for food... which makes a much more relaxed fun experience than at the open.

Who cares about seats, prices or lines if you have the opportunity to see the 100 best players in the world in both tours? I'd say these are small inconveniences when considering the "product" offered. Cincy and Miami? Well, as major drawbacks, these tournaments are held in Cincy and Miami. Nothing like New York City.

MasterTS
09-08-2006, 05:56 AM
Who cares about seats, prices or lines if you have the opportunity to see the 100 best players in the world in both tours? I'd say these are small inconveniences when considering the "product" offered. Cincy and Miami? Well, as major drawbacks, these tournaments are held in Cincy and Miami. Nothing like New York City.

They should move the USO to southern california... better weather, better crowd, and better city.

And in exchange give NYC the Pacific Life Open except call it the Atlantic Life Open.

Phil
09-08-2006, 02:01 PM
They should move the USO to southern california... better weather, better crowd, and better city.

And in exchange give NYC the Pacific Life Open except call it the Atlantic Life Open.

I'll give you that the weather in NYC often sucks during the USO, though this one has been particularly bad. However, the Open IS NYC and all its character quirks...such a huge tournament, just like Roland Garros and Wimbledon, should be held in the largest and greatest city in the country. S. California is...nothing. Blah! A wasteland.

gb93433
09-08-2006, 09:05 PM
S. California is...nothing. Blah! A wasteland.

If California were a country it would have the fifth highest gross national product in the world. So much for nothing. It's a good thing few know much about it.

slice bh compliment
09-09-2006, 03:15 AM
I do not think he is talking economics. He is talking culture and people.

vinouspleasure
09-10-2006, 05:51 PM
My open experience was great...for me, living an hour away, I love when it rains. I had $10 tickets, sat in armstrong and saw haas/genepri, Federer, and the Nadal upset. 10th row.

I can understand how you feel, especially if you travel to the tournament. It would have been a good idea to have just gone on monday and bought a ticket from someone. I've always been able to buy cheap ($20-$30) tickets at the event.

As you say, the food is very overpriced. However, you were in Manhattan and there are no shortage of great, great inexpensive delis and restaurants. You could have taken a couple of sandwiches to the open (thats what I did). Also, you could have gotten your hand stamped to stop at the hot dog truck, a five minute walk from armstrong. Two digs, chips and a soda for $5.

FuriousYellow
09-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Heh, heh. It's called the Pacific Life Open because Pacific Life insurance is the tournament sponsor not because it's on the West coast.

Anyway, what happened to the OP can happen at smaller tourneys too which players are less reluctant to pull out of than they would at a major.

In 04' I drove from L.A. to Palm Springs to watch the women's semi-final and the men's quarterfinal of the Pacific Life Open. Dementieva got blown off the court by Clijsters in 45 minutes in the women's match and Agassi pulled out of his against Hewitt because of a toe injury. Because the night session was cancelled, I ended up driving back to L.A. in the afternoon instead of the evening and hit rush hour traffic. All told, it was about 6 hours of driving to watch 45 minutes of tennis.

I've already booked tickets for 07' but, this time, I'm going midweek of the second week for three days.

rommil
09-10-2006, 08:54 PM

Better weather? Yeah but SoCal is no NYC. Not even close.

i am a tennis freak
09-13-2006, 06:45 AM
I thought the place was great.....this was my first yr and will be returning again and again..............yes the food is overpriced, yes the stadium is too big, yes the subway stinks ( take the lirr instead) ...........but to see such great tennis makes all that ok................learned that in the first wee to buy a grounds pass instead of ashe ticket........during the day you can get into the stadium anyhow..................