PDA

View Full Version : First Tournament facing number 3 seed....

mwitiiram
09-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Title says it all. My first tournament and i'm facing the number 3 seed whom my friends say is VERY good. Tips? I know to keep my confidence up, not do do anything differnet..... but since tennis is so mental any tips?

scez
09-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Try to think that you are playing an unseeded person. Someone at my camp had beaten the girl who was also seeded 3 in the tournament because she was unaware that she was seeded. If she knew, she would have probably mentally defeated herself.

Bagumbawalla
09-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes, basically, if he is better than you-- there's nothing you can do about it in just a few days-----except---

Play your own game. Do what you do best.

Be steady, move him about, watch his game, give him shots he doesn't like (if you can). Serve well-- get your 1st serve in. Hit a kicking 2nd serve. Chip and come to the net (if you can) for variety.

Vary your shots to thow hin off-- spins, pace, direction.

Play percentage shots. Don't go for improbable winners.

Hit with speed and pace to the open court when you can.

Drop shot (when you can do so safely).

Think of the game as practice. Win or lose, you will come away a better player.

dave333
09-06-2006, 04:58 PM
shame your buddy had to tell you that he was really good.....ignorance is bliss.

HyperHorse
09-07-2006, 05:28 AM
Stay away from your friends or anyone who says you dont have a chance.

will1087
09-07-2006, 06:22 AM
If you don't legitimately have a chance, one of the things that allows you to do is to go for shots you wouldn't neccessarily go for - you might end up playing out of your mind or gaining confidence from hitting some shots.

mwitiiram
09-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Well an update to all those who care.....

i lost 6-0, 6-0 but with dignity. He couldn't retun 3/4 of my serves, I couldn't handle his EXTREME TOPSPIN FH AND BH... playing in consolation tommrow. All in all, i'm not the least bit dissapointed. For facing the number 3 seed, i thought i did very well.

moxio
09-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Well if you're not upset sounds like you were able to mentally bounce back! :)

tennus
09-08-2006, 04:58 PM

i lost 6-0, 6-0 but with dignity. He couldn't retun 3/4 of my serves, I couldn't handle his EXTREME TOPSPIN FH AND BH... playing in consolation tommrow. All in all, i'm not the least bit dissapointed. For facing the number 3 seed, i thought i did very well.

Listen getting beaten double bagel means very little because you played someone with far more experience. One thing confuses me though. If he couldn't return 3/4 of your serves how didn't you win a service game ? Or do you mean 3 or 4 serves ?;)

Steven87
09-08-2006, 05:08 PM
He couldnt return your serves and you couldnt hold ONE game? Im not saying you should kill yourself, but maybe you should get some higher standards

tarheels2323
09-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Edit: Nevermind. I didn't read that you already played.

mwitiiram
09-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Listen getting beaten double bagel means very little because you played someone with far more experience. One thing confuses me though. If he couldn't return 3/4 of your serves how didn't you win a service game ? Or do you mean 3 or 4 serves ?;)

it was three or four.... If he couldn't return three fourths then i'd would have prob. won

Gazz
09-09-2006, 03:01 AM
hey - unlucky mate - so far, this year, i have lost 2 singles matches out of 18 and 1 doubles match out of 7 - all three losses were 0 and 0 - kinda strange - i guess, i just stand no chance against guys that can really play

good luck in winning the consolation!

Koaske
09-09-2006, 09:46 AM

Well, first tournament matches usually end up something like that, especially if facing seeded players. I think you can do better next time! And besides, you can always learn about losses: now you know what you have to improve to be able to beat that guy someday!

mahouFuji
09-09-2006, 11:33 AM
where u live?? dun worry my first tournament.... i played a 4.5 kid from mainland and i got licked 2-6 0-6...........my 2nd tournament i was on best condition but.... still i got licked again by another mainland kid another 4.5..... 3-6 4-6...... just dont give up and try ur best

mwitiiram
09-09-2006, 12:46 PM
i was getting killed 6-0 and i retired 1 game into the second set.... i want to quit tennis... i've been playing for a year and a half and i can't beat anyone. During warm-up, i was playing great...but i opted to recieve and then it was all downhill from there...pWhat should i do? i'm pretty mentally beat up right now. I was going to sign up for one next weekend and at the end of sept....but idk now

mwitiiram
09-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Was I wrong to retire? i got beat 6-0 6-0 in the first match and it would happen again so i was like forget this i should retire and I did. Any suggestions as to choking in the match?

Zets147
09-09-2006, 02:55 PM
lol wth, "I thought I did very well" to "I want to quit tennis"? Be a man dammit!
Practice and compete more!

tennus
09-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Was I wrong to retire? i got beat 6-0 6-0 in the first match and it would happen again so i was like forget this i should retire and I did. Any suggestions as to choking in the match?

Yes it's wrong to retire unless you're injured or seriously ill. Your injured ego doesn't count. This may sound harsh but IMO this is just bad sportsmanship You've got to ask yourself why am I playing in this tournament ? If it's to improve, there is no better way than playing people better than yourself. It seems to me however, you have entered a tournament well outside you're league. Be honest with yourself and commit to finish matches. :)

mwitiiram
09-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks to everyone. My confidence is back up. After studying my game i made crucial mistakes. 1) Getting a new string 2 days before the tournament. Luxilion Timo 17 (very harsh, going back to Reaction 17) 2) Not playing like I do in practice. I knew facing the number three seed i wouldn't win, but i had I had my Reaction 17 and played the way i played in practice, I would've smoked the guy i played today. So next week another tournament. Now i have to ask all of you one more question, should I play ranked for unranked. I want to play ranked so people that i play actually have something to play for.

nadalito92
09-09-2006, 04:17 PM
well i have bene playing for a year and a half and i cant win either, but i dont care cause my technique is way better than the guys i usually play with, so i dont care if i loose, actually when i finished (lost) these guys came and said "good game, your technique is way better than the other guy's so dont worry if you loose you are doing great". i was feeling really good after that i actually forgot i lost, so dont give up and kik some a** in the next tourney

donnyz89
09-09-2006, 07:45 PM
I was like this...

my first few tournament matches were not good either. I lost both matches my first tournament, I lose to the 1 seed 0,0 lost my consolation in 3 sets. My second tournament I played an unseeded player and still lost, I was really upset then loosing my first 3 matches. and I had to play the 3rd seed in the consolation! but I just let it loose and won in 3 sets, and I won the next match 4,3, played the 1 seed from that tournament in the consolation (wierd draw), and lost 3,4... so I was glad to have successs my second tournament.

keep practicing and good things will happen good luck.

nadalito92
09-09-2006, 07:56 PM
yep you got it right

Vixenbergen
09-09-2006, 07:58 PM
I easily won the first three tournaments I played, but that was probably because I started playing tournaments at a later age than most (at 13 playing under 14's) then in my fourth, I got killed 6-0, 7-6 in the first round to one of my friends, haven't played in a tourney since. I don't want to play in one unless I'm absolutely sure that I like my chances. Now that I'm 15, I can only play in under 16's, but I'm confident

My advice to you is to never enter a tournament when you don't feel confident. Practice a lot, if your strokes are doing bad, lay off tennis for a while and don't think about the things you're doing wrong. Once you get the feel back, then is the time to play tournaments, otherwise you will just get discouraged.

tennus
09-09-2006, 09:18 PM
I easily won the first three tournaments I played, but that was probably because I started playing tournaments at a later age than most (at 13 playing under 14's) then in my fourth, I got killed 6-0, 7-6 in the first round to one of my friends, haven't played in a tourney since. I don't want to play in one unless I'm absolutely sure that I like my chances. Now that I'm 15, I can only play in under 16's, but I'm confident

My advice to you is to never enter a tournament when you don't feel confident. Practice a lot, if your strokes are doing bad, lay off tennis for a while and don't think about the things you're doing wrong. Once you get the feel back, then is the time to play tournaments, otherwise you will just get discouraged.

I can't understand this way of thinking. To me being beaten 6-0 7-6 is not being killed. You shouldn't expect to win every tournament you enter ! By taking the other guy to tie break you've shown you're competitive at this level. Intestinal fortitude will generally win tight matches. Sure you might feel gutted after a loss to a friend but if you give up so easily how can you expect to improve ? You can practice all you want in private but matchplay is where you learn the most about your game. :)

mwitiiram
09-15-2006, 06:17 PM
well played in my second tournament... 6-0 6-1...not bad but my serve broke me down bad. I mean at least 5 double faults....and i don't know what i was thinking, but after i hit a backhand, i wouldn't shuffle to the middle, i'd kinda just stand there. And i corrected myself mentally, but didn't do it. I was so excited to win one game. It felt great. It was the 6th duce of the game. I was fighting to win that one. Consolation match is tommrow at 4pm CST so i'll be doing a little serving between now and then. Just thought i'd keep you updated!

mahouFuji
09-15-2006, 09:04 PM
i was getting killed 6-0 and i retired 1 game into the second set.... i want to quit tennis... i've been playing for a year and a half and i can't beat anyone. During warm-up, i was playing great...but i opted to recieve and then it was all downhill from there...pWhat should i do? i'm pretty mentally beat up right now. I was going to sign up for one next weekend and at the end of sept....but idk now

dude it dont matter..... i played almost a year and im still only 3.5...... my serve weighin me down

Xtennis88
09-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Yeah I played a tournament once... and got the #5 seed in the first round... and he was a 5.0 level player and I was a 4.0... so I basically got whooped 6-0 6-0 (kids from Connecticut are really good)... I made him swear and curse tho so it was worth it

magilligan
09-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah I played a tournament once... and got the #5 seed in the first round... and he was a 5.0 level player and I was a 4.0... so I basically got whooped 6-0 6-0 (kids from Connecticut are really good)... I made him swear and curse tho so it was worth it

I'm from connecticut... which tournament was this? and do you remember the kids name?

mahouFuji
09-17-2006, 04:26 PM

woah 5.0 i wish i was 5.0...... god imma sophomore.... gettin old already

MasterTS
09-17-2006, 04:47 PM

How did u lose with dignity if he smoked you.. sounds like it wasn't match exp that got you beaten but he was purely a better player since you couldn't handle his groundies..

jackson vile
09-17-2006, 05:36 PM
How did u lose with dignity if he smoked you.. sounds like it wasn't match exp that got you beaten but he was purely a better player since you couldn't handle his groundies..

No reason to be rude, he's saying he did not make a scene as so many do, and did not attempt to cheat or throw him off with various distractions ect.

He knew what he was up against and did the best that he could, end of story

That is all one can do, you do your best don't pull and BS and shake hands at the end.

Sounds to me like it was a very poor matchup, When ever you see a double bagle you know that people managing the tournament or ratings messed up big time.

Good for you mwitiiram, you did the right thing, and you will progress with time and smart work. And you being grown up enough to talk about it so honestly is astoundingly respectful!

pNoyr3D
09-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Hm.. Well some tips I would give you is to be mentally tough and ready for the match. Do anything you can just to get into the match and get your mind ready. Also doesn't matter if he's better than you just remember to keep the ball in play and keep your head in the game.

Good luck in concelation.. Lol I might be late :(

mahouFuji
09-21-2006, 09:03 AM
well they usually do that in oahu here in oia championships they set all the first timers or the first year playing tennis against the seeded people in first round