PDA

View Full Version : Killing Ever Shot

Silentgunz
09-06-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm playing high school tennis and im having a bad season... my record is like 2-7... i need help with forehand... i always wanna kill the ball... i hit the ball hard as i can everytime, and like after 2-3 times ill hit it long or ill hit it into the net.... i hit with all my strength.... i was wondering do u hit has hard as u can everytime or just medium... i feel like a weakling not hitting it hard as i can.... the main reason i think im losing is because i always hit it out or into the net... i never rally or anything...

also since im posting can to high string tension hurt ur wrist ? ever since i got my racquet restrung my wrist has been killing me...

and by the way since im posting... wat is a tall persons weakness in tennis... everytime i play a player that is 6'1" and up i always end up losing... i feel like they got a advantage being tall im like 5'7"...

DrewRafter8
09-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Patience my friend, Patience. In high school tennis, power thrills, placement kills. What I tell my high school team is that 99% of the time you will win matches if you just learn to be consistant. "Push" the ball back. In my area at least, if you learn just how to rally a ball, you will win matches. It frustrates these young minds when you get a ball back that they thought should have been a winner. Good luck and hope this helps!

xtremerunnerars
09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Hmm, well my forehand was where yours seems to be about a month ago. You just have to work with it. Don't try to copy anyone, figure out what works for you.

It's a lot easier for me to crush it when i hit with a more open stance. I really feel like i throw my hips into the ball, and get some mad spin+pace. My shots are definitely harder with a closed stance, but it's tougher to be as consistent.

At some point you're going to have to accept the fact that the only people in this world who kill the ball and do well are pros. And even then, they don't swing all out on every ball. They know when to take things off of it. So, unless you're an 8.0 on a scale that only goes up to 7.0, you should realize there's no need to kill the ball every shot.

I'm not experienced with strings enough and resulting injuries.

And the tall question, the fact that you feel like they have an advantage gives them one. I played a 6'4" in one of my ladder matches, and destroyed him. He rushed in like a mad bull, recklessly and not intelligently. He'd come in on poor, crosscourt shots to my forehand wheelhouse...instead of down the line, to my backhand. He most likely had always seen a lob in that situation, and his net game WAS his overhead. No volleys at all because he never had to hit them!

ZPTennis
09-06-2006, 06:44 PM
yeah, you shouldn't be hitting the ball as hard as you can. Hit at about 70% of your power.

When playing a tall person, try incorporating some low flat shots or slices. Most high school players only know topspin. As a tall player myself, I do not like low shots since I have to bend more than a shorter person and its also much harder to hit winners off of a low ball.

w00gy
09-07-2006, 01:42 AM
"Push" the ball back.

Are you telling him to become a pusher?
I don't think that is a good idea.

skuludo
09-07-2006, 02:40 AM
Pushing means drive.

kevhen
09-07-2006, 06:25 AM
I rarely hit with all my power. Tennis is more about control than power. I beat a kid recently whose team won state by keeping the ball in play and letting him go for his power shots which he made some but he missed many too. Many younger players think power wins in tennis but the old guys in all their experience know it's about consistency and placement. Hold back on the adrenaline and testosterone and you will win more matches.

Instead of ripping passing shots long, dip the ball with heavy topspin at the guy's feet. Instead of ripping want-to-be winners long, hit them consistently crosscourt and let your opponent become the impatient one. Learn how to play winining tennis....

xtremerunnerars
09-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Dip the ball with heavy topspin at the guy's feet.

SUCH a great shot to hit. It's damn near impossible to half volley, so if they're smart they get closer--in which case you throw up the lob. A short, angled crosscourt passing shot is often much easier to hit than a down the line one.

Trinity TC
09-07-2006, 01:24 PM
I have to cut back a notch because of the extra length and power because of the extra adrenalin that comes from matchplay. I also hit at about 70-75% of my maximum practice strength like ZPTennis says, which gives me the equivalent my max practice shot. You gotta factor in the extra boost from adrenalin.

Steven87
09-07-2006, 02:25 PM
If you hit a clean shot everytime WITH some kind of direction, you wont have to use all your power.

Marius_Hancu
09-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Forget about baseball and learn tennis.

xtremerunnerars
09-07-2006, 04:56 PM
adrenaline doesnt last a whole match...unless you are playing your highschool matches as grand slam finals.

Trinity TC
09-07-2006, 05:54 PM
adrenaline doesnt last a whole match...unless you are playing your highschool matches as grand slam finals.
Yes, but you have to be aware of it's existence, adjust accordingly and find your range and consistency at the start of the match.

Silentgunz
09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
man i was playing so good today, i was hitting about medium power and just placing the ball... i was up 4-0 in 8 game proset then guess wat happens... i cramped... both my calves... it sucked... so i had to take a break and stretch and after that i couldnt realli run anywhere... kept feeling a pull everytime i tryed to run... it sucked... i could barely move... but after that i strectched and took some tylonol... and won my doubles match

AngeloDS
09-07-2006, 07:48 PM
*I* personally like placement over power, but power is good as long as you play it deep; which a lot of people fail to do. I'd take that mentality out and relearn a new playing style.

Though, you can kill the ball as long as your technique is sound and near perfect. But to get there you need to do a lot of drilling, have quite a bit of coaching on your technique and what-not.

Get the basics down first and then you can play your style.