PDA

View Full Version : Tennis elbow

oray777
09-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Is there a way to prevent tennis elbow? I'm feeling a little discomfort behind my elbow right where the tricep connects to the elbow. Also is there tennis racquets available suited for people who have tennis elbow problems?

kchau
09-06-2006, 07:22 PM
soft racquets such as volkl and some yonex's are nice, princes' are good as well.

head makes a racquet especially for TE, called the protector.

tennis_hand
09-06-2006, 07:33 PM
this is what u can do first if it can apply to you:

1. use synthetic gut strings. totally avoid poly and aramid strings.
2. string them in low tension around 55 or lower.
3. if you are tired, you tend to just block back. Rest and swing. Blocking damages elbow.
4. once the string loses tension or feels stiff, replace it.
5. grip size could be too big for you.

oray777
09-06-2006, 08:46 PM
this is what u can do first if it can apply to you:

1. use synthetic gut strings. totally avoid poly and aramid strings.
2. string them in low tension around 55 or lower.
3. if you are tired, you tend to just block back. Rest and swing. Blocking damages elbow.
4. once the string loses tension or feels stiff, replace it.
5. grip size could be too big for you.

Thats very useful information. Thanks.

tennis_hand
09-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Thats very useful information. Thanks.

I had elbow pain previously. but after i dropped my tension, restrung with new strings (PSGD 16) and reduced my grip size( so I can use more wrist ), I no longer have any pain. Using more wrist is a cushion to the elbow, and a slightly smaller grip size helps the wrist action.

oray777
09-06-2006, 11:49 PM
I measured my hand at 4 5/8 grip but i've been using 4 1/2 which is comfortable for me but i did use an overgrip this last weekend which may have aggravated my elbow since it was a larger grip.

paulfreda
09-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Dropping tension to 50 lbs solved my 3 yr old TE problem several yrs ago.
There has been no trace of pain since. I already had a flexible (absorbs energy) and semi-heavy (>12 oz) frame. But lowering the string tension put TE's infliction of misery on me to bed. Just wish I had tried it sooner as I was so desperate that I was actually considering surgery at the time.
Three cheers for a happy ending.

MTChong
09-07-2006, 02:42 PM
I had elbow pain previously. but after i dropped my tension, restrung with new strings (PSGD 16) and reduced my grip size( so I can use more wrist ), I no longer have any pain. Using more wrist is a cushion to the elbow, and a slightly smaller grip size helps the wrist action.

I wouldn't follow that advice; a wristy shot puts even more strain on the upper forearm and elbow region.

Also, what's your set-up? You want a heavier racquet with nice flex strung with soft strings.

Marius_Hancu
09-07-2006, 02:45 PM
This is for the Health section. Read the topmost thread there and the many related threads.
-----------------------
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

check my signature here:

Great fitness sites
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33800

esp the Elbow and Wrist Pain sections

Court_Jester
09-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Also is there tennis racquets available suited for people who have tennis elbow problems?
Volkls and Pro Kennex, especially the Kinetic Pro 5G, have been cited as very elbow-friendly racquets. From my experience, they are.

tennis_hand
09-07-2006, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't follow that advice; a wristy shot puts even more strain on the upper forearm and elbow region.

Also, what's your set-up? You want a heavier racquet with nice flex strung with soft strings.

well, i don't know much about the theory, but the fact is true. I now uses the replacement grip without any overgrip. WHen you use the wrist snap more, the action will go through wrist before it reaches the elbow. But with a larger grip, the wrist is not flexible and thus the shock go directly to the elbow first. And additionally, the wrist is a much more flexible part of the arm than the elbow.

i m using nPro Surge with PSGD 16, 57lbs on mains and 55 on cross. stock grip is 4 3/8, but i added 2 heat shrink sleeves. Without any over grip and dampener, it should now weigh about 340g but much head light. My measured size is 4 5/8. At this setup, my ring finger is just 1/2 cm from my palm when I shake hand with the racket. The swing feels much better and easier than the case that I add any over-grip in order to slot my index finger in.

You cannot be serious !!!
09-07-2006, 10:47 PM
My advice :

Equipment

1) Strings - change to synthetic gut and lower tension by 3-10 lbs
2) Proper grip size - too small or too large is no good
3) Racquet - racquets with larger sweetspots/ larger heads are better
4) Stroke technique - try to generate power more from your body, contrary to popular belief, increasing wrist movements actually makes it worse (try resisting forceful wrist extension with your other hand and it will hurt)

Elbow

1) ICE between games / sets or matches
2) Massage around the sore area +/- anti-inflammatory gel
3) Stretch by keeping elbow straight and pulling your hand towards you at the wrist

Only read on if you're game enough.........

If it worsens despite all this, try taking oral anti-inflammatories such as nurofen or voltaren.

If it still hurts, you will need to take a break from playing (god forbid!)

If it still hurts after 2 weeks of rest you might want a steroid injection

If it still hurts after the steroid injection you might want to have 2 more injections or shock wave therapy

If it still hurts after this you might want to consider surgery

If it still hurts after surgery you will have to live with it or chop your arm off

Nah, it not usually that bad ok? Most of the time if you look after it it will get better, just takes time

Good luck

You cannot be serious !!!
09-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Forgot to mention, you might want to try a tennis elbow brace as well

MasterTS
09-08-2006, 06:08 AM
Big cause of elbow pain is when you mishit balls.. either framed shots, or when you're too late on the forehand/serve/return of serve... Blocking the ball does NOT cause elbow pain, for whoever mentioned it above!

The solution: stop sucking.

Clean contact will help against elbow pains :)