PDA

View Full Version : I hit my 1000th backhand today and the difference is more than subtle!!!

pmata814
09-06-2006, 09:24 PM
A while back somebody posted a link to several articles by someone named Tom Veneziano (i think that's right). One of his lessons talked about how repetition, not technique, is the key to progress in tennis. It was quite interesting. It compared a baby trying to walk to someone picking up a tennis racquet for the first time.

In this article he throws some numbers out about more or less when you should expect to see results. At 1000 balls he says you should experience a subtle difference. Of course I know he is just trying to emphasize how much repetition is actually needed, but I have to say after 1000 balls I have seen more than a subtle difference. After 700 I went out and played my brother (I play him every week) and even he was impressed with my improvement.

I don't agree totally with the part about technique not being important though. I feel that taking lessons is absolutely necessary so that you are not grooving in bad technique. I have actually been keeping a log, for the last 3 weeks, and after 1,000 backhands, 525 forehands and 295 serves my game has improved significantly.

In addition to hitting with the ball machine I take a half hour lesson once a week as well, which I feel is incredibly important. So, just to clarify, I DON'T think that repetition alone will do the trick.

I'm sorry. I'm really excited about my progress and I just wanted to share this with you all.

P.S.
For those who advised me to switch to a heavier racquet...thanks!! It's been working great for me. (Tour Diablo MP)

TaintedWisdom
09-06-2006, 11:33 PM
A while back somebody posted a link to several articles by someone named Tom Veneziano (i think that's right). One of his lessons talked about how repetition, not technique, is the key to progress in tennis. It was quite interesting. It compared a baby trying to walk to someone picking up a tennis racquet for the first time.

In this article he throws some numbers out about more or less when you should expect to see results. At 1000 balls he says you should experience a subtle difference. Of course I know he is just trying to emphasize how much repetition is actually needed, but I have to say after 1000 balls I have seen more than a subtle difference. After 700 I went out and played my brother (I play him every week) and even he was impressed with my improvement.

I don't agree totally with the part about technique not being important though. I feel that taking lessons is absolutely necessary so that you are not grooving in bad technique. I have actually been keeping a log, for the last 3 weeks, and after 1,000 backhands, 525 forehands and 295 serves my game has improved significantly.

In addition to hitting with the ball machine I take a half hour lesson once a week as well, which I feel is incredibly important. So, just to clarify, I DON'T think that repetition alone will do the trick.

I'm sorry. I'm really excited about my progress and I just wanted to share this with you all.

P.S.
For those who advised me to switch to a heavier racquet...thanks!! It's been working great for me. (Tour Diablo MP)

Just have to say woot to the Prince diablo tour mp, joined the crew.
(I got the same one, woot);)

andyroddick's mojo
09-06-2006, 11:45 PM
so are you saying that just repetitive hitting will help you develop consistency? did you change your form at all? anything you did different from your first backhand and your 1000th?

nViATi
09-06-2006, 11:51 PM
edit: nevermind

AJK1
09-06-2006, 11:59 PM
My coach said "perfect practice makes perfect" so repeating a good stroke is what you have to do. And it works.

chess9
09-07-2006, 12:22 AM
My coach said "perfect practice makes perfect" so repeating a good stroke is what you have to do. And it works.

Yes, optimally true. But, in the real world of constraints on time, enthusiasm and talent, practicing that thumb behind the racquet, leading with the elbow backhand will improve stroke RELIABILITY until the stroke is pressured. Once you meet the guy who is sending slightly faster balls your way, you will appreciate the importance of technique. Tom V. is right though. Tennis is a lot like playing the violin-lots of practice pays dividends. If you want to move above 3-4.0 level, then technique becomes more important, IMHO. Of course, I'm sure I'm wrong.... :)

Oh, this isn't directed at YOU AJK1. Obviously you know....

-Robert

pmata814
09-07-2006, 06:18 AM
so are you saying that just repetitive hitting will help you develop consistency? No. I stated in my post that I do believe having a coach to teach you the correct technique is absolutely necessary. did you change your form at all? anything you did different from your first backhand and your 1000th?My coach told me my form on my backhand was correct and that I just needed to prepare earlier and catch the ball in front. Some how afte so much repetition I've started to do that better.