PDA

View Full Version : Best way to return slice shots?...

LazyAzN
09-06-2006, 08:35 PM
So pretty much, for my match today, I was playing a pusher... So what ended up happening... Was that he was pushing the ball back and back further and further from the service line, using lobs and slices.

So what I tried, was hitting the 4 boxes of the court (draw a line down from the middle to the baseline, and you get what I mean). But what happened was that he just sliced them back or lobbed them back...

So when I went for a putaway with a regular stroke in front of the service line when it was short, and because of the backspin associated with the slices, my balls went out... If I tapped the ball, it would've gone back to the person, thus I had to do a whole slicing game against the pusher, doing as many as 30+ ball rallies... Because I couldn't trust putting away the ball when it was sliced.

So can someone tell me how I can improve on hitting slice shots with topspin so I can have some more confidence on putting away shots?.

Btw. I lost 3-6 3-6...

kevhen
09-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Don't think you can just put a low slice shot away for a winner. It's coming in low and slow so often better to just hit crosscourt with a steady shot and wait for a higher bouncing ball to put away. You could also hit a slice shot and come to net behind it. That is another way to deal with short slice.

Bagumbawalla
09-07-2006, 08:22 AM
If this is just pretty normal slice (not like a drop shot). Just hit through the ball with lots of foreward momentum with your racket moving low to high. Hit the ball solidly. The natural (not exaggerated) topspin is enough to send the ball back over the net and into the court with plenty of pop.

This works for me. One of my prcatice partners skims the ball back and it bounces only a foot or so up from the court. I get down low and just hit thorough it aiming over the low part of the net when I can.

mahouFuji
09-07-2006, 09:45 AM
try do the shot nadal does his open stance one its really useful against slices

Bottle Rocket
09-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Hit a solid shot. Hit through the ball and hit a heavy top spin shot.

At least in my experience, most of the guys that slice everything back have an EXTREMELY hard time dealing with heavy top spin.

If he hits a low slices that lands in front of your service line, don't go for a put-away. Hit a deep shot and come into the net. A nice sliced and slow return from him will give you an easy volley.

Do not start playing his game. Do not slice everything back. Play your game!

LuckyR
09-07-2006, 01:26 PM
^^^^ What he said, with the addition that it is way easier to do with an Eastern FH grip.