PDA

View Full Version : gosh, i forgot how much i needed consistency

andyroddick's mojo
09-06-2006, 09:51 PM
about a year ago, I had no weapons in my inventory, just soft groundstrokes and a weak serve. As of now, I have much more powerful groundstrokes and a kick serve. But today I played a guy who i believe is worse then me (horrible form), and he's basically a pusher. I lost the match 5-7. I have a few reasos though. 1) There was a bunch of nerves. no idea why, i know his form is worse, but I still felt weird 2) I was missing a bunch of shots. My game plan was, okay, just go out there and smash some balls cause he wouldn't be able to handle it. I missed a bunch of shots I thought I could hit hard, and from then on, he was playing much more consistent then I was. Now I think i've finally realized, that although i've gained more power and better strokes/serve, I've lost something that I forgot I needed : consistency!
Now, from here on out, I will practice being much more consistent! does anyone have any tips on 2 things :

1) how to be more consistent while keeping high paced shots
2) help on handling the mind and its nerves. the mental game of tennis. because honestly I play almost 3 times better at practice, but when I played my match I felt restricted.

Spindarella
09-06-2006, 10:10 PM
about a year ago, I had no weapons in my inventory, just soft groundstrokes and a weak serve. As of now, I have much more powerful groundstrokes and a kick serve. But today I played a guy who i believe is worse then me (horrible form), and he's basically a pusher. I lost the match 5-7. I have a few reasos though. 1) There was a bunch of nerves. no idea why, i know his form is worse, but I still felt weird 2) I was missing a bunch of shots. My game plan was, okay, just go out there and smash some balls cause he wouldn't be able to handle it. I missed a bunch of shots I thought I could hit hard, and from then on, he was playing much more consistent then I was. Now I think i've finally realized, that although i've gained more power and better strokes/serve, I've lost something that I forgot I needed : consistency!
Now, from here on out, I will practice being much more consistent! does anyone have any tips on 2 things :

1) how to be more consistent while keeping high paced shots
2) help on handling the mind and its nerves. the mental game of tennis. because honestly I play almost 3 times better at practice, but when I played my match I felt restricted.
1) practice more. hope you have good form.
2) get yourself short-term memory and just hit your shots. practice more.

The Vitamin L
09-07-2006, 02:48 AM
Eventually it comes down to you thinking too much. You think "ok, time to kill it" because you [I]know[I] you can, doesn't mean you should thoughm a smooth and relaxed stroke does the job well. Just some important things, be loose, because you're obviously tightening up and not performing as well as you should be. You probably just need more match experience, I'm assuming that you have practiced your strokes enough times to know that as long as you're there before the ball you can hit it well so you don't have to think about "I gotta hit a winner off this one", just relax and get into your rhythm.

skuludo
09-07-2006, 03:27 AM
Controling the center of the court is very easy against a pusher. Keep hitting the ball cross court until your opponent hits one to the center. Then either hit cross court or inside out; however, you will need to hit the side line or the corner of the court very well. That is if you want to hit a winner off such a shot. If you feel confident with hitting down the line then just wait for the right ball and hit it like Roddick against Hewitt. Accurate shot making is very important with your power.

The key that I achieved my consistency was being able to control how high I wanted the ball to clear the net and land the ball near the baseline. Once you know how to control how high and deep you want to hit the ball then you will know why you sailed the ball long or dump into the net. Think of your groundstrokes as a way to launch the ball over the net rather than hitting it.

Imagine your racket as an airplane taking off. The airplane always moves forward (The forward swing that pushes the ball forward.), but in this case you have a limited run way and are able to control the angle of lift off. This way of hitting will allow you to control the pace and height of the balls net clearance. The steeper launch will result in less drive and more spin.