PDA

View Full Version : Slice or drop shot?

willman
02-19-2004, 07:27 PM
I recently made attempts to utilize a slice backhand but it barely made it over the net, thus making it a drop shot. Though I do like to mix it up with drop shots I want to know what I'm doing wrong. Thanx Bungalow bill and Maboob Khan.

Eric Matuszewski
02-19-2004, 07:40 PM
William, you not supplying enough drive to the ball. Use this excersise to feel the muscles you need to use more of.

Stand with your right side leaning against a wall or something immovable.

Back away about a foot from the wall (distance from right shoulder to the wall)

face the back of your right hand against the wall.

push on the wall with the back of your hand.

The muscles you are using here are the external rotators of the humerous (primarily the infraspinatus).

This muscle needs to contract more forcefully during your slice.
Also make sure not to open the racket face. The high to low path of the racket will give the ball the desired backspin, opening the face will cause a short drop shot, not the deep low slice your looking for.

jeebeesus
02-20-2004, 06:00 AM
great stuff Eric!

Cypo
02-20-2004, 06:49 AM
I'm probably being pedantic, but a dropshot is when you take the pace out of the ball by cradling it and ease it over the net so it just dies on the other side. A hard chopped (backhand) slice, will also land short, but it will bounce up again (likely back towards the net). It's a good shot too, but I'll bet even lower percentage than a dropshot.

It doesn't matter at all for the discussion of course.

dozu
02-20-2004, 09:22 AM
the slice is hit just like a backhand volley, there is no intentional "chopping" to generate the underspin. Instead, because the racket impacts the ball with an open face, the underspin comes as a side-effect.

To have good consistency for who trying to develop this shot, keep the racket/forearm angle fixed (ala Federer, Stich), instead of letting it swive (ala Steffi).

I hit 90% of my backhand with the slice, it's a high efficiency shot, it covers wide angle well, and takes very little effort. In a neutral position, I can cover the backhand side of the court with just 1 step. It also gives lots of variety as an approach. When a short ball is available on the backhand side, I can either slice deep down the line/cross court, or drop shot to keep him honest... with essentially the same take-back.

It's a great tool.

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-31-2011, 10:27 PM
wow, you still do!!!!!

Dozu, bringing you the best in tips and instruction since 2004...

(look it's a slow day and I am waiting for a reasonable excuse to go home, ok?)

Timbo's hopeless slice
06-01-2011, 07:02 PM
oh come on Dozu, bite, dammit!

dozu
06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
oh come on Dozu, bite, dammit!

I am biting big time!

you must have a cushy job? with enough time to dig up 7 year old posts :)

nice!

Timbo's hopeless slice
06-01-2011, 07:29 PM
One has one's own office, you see, and a receptionist unwilling to book clients any later than 4 pm lest they take up too much of her valuable time....