PDA

View Full Version : Davydenko not wearing prince clothing???

thetenniskid07
09-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Is he not sponsored by prince for clothing anymore? He was wearing prince shoes but not apparel.

Dan007
09-07-2006, 02:34 PM
He was wearing this $20-$30 Champians Duo-Dry shirt from Target.

Moves
09-07-2006, 02:41 PM
He was wearing this $20-$30 Champians Duo-Dry shirt from Target.

I was just at Target last night and noticed super cheap Champions brand athletic shirts for 9.99 - 14.99. I was amazed at the price.

Then I watch the match today and there is the same shirt! :eek:

- Moves

chaz_233
09-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah, why pay $50 for a plastic shirt when you can pay $10.

BreakPoint
09-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Is he not sponsored by prince for clothing anymore? He was wearing prince shoes but not apparel.

Are you sure? It sure looks like he's wearing Prince clothes to me today.

BTW, the red long sleeve shirt that his brother is wearing is definitely Prince since I own the same shirt.

BreakPoint
09-07-2006, 02:46 PM
It looks like he's wearing this shirt right now in white in his match vs. Haas: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMAPRINCE-PBPC.html#

Dan007
09-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Do you guys think this guy will ever get a clothing sponsor. I think he is a good player but most company ignores him because he's not charismatic at all.

BreakPoint
09-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Do you guys think this guy will ever get a clothing sponsor. I think he is a good player but most company ignores him because he's not charismatic at all.

Did you not read the rest of this thread? He's sponsored by Prince for clothes, shoes, and of course, racquets.

BreakPoint
09-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Here: http://www.princetennis.com/news_events/press/press_release.asp?iCategoryID=17&iDocTypeID=3&DocumentID=511

Here's a quote from that press release:
"In addition to his racquet deal with Prince, Davydenko will also wear the brand's apparel and footwear."

hoosierbr
09-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Davydenko tends to wear Prince practice shirts, which are solid in color with the "P" logo at the bottom. It makes it hard to see sometimes. His shorts and shoes are easily identifiable.

The gray shirt he was wearing at the start of the match didn't look like a Prince shirt to me. Could be he has a buddy that designs shirts or something and is giving him free advertising. I've seen others do that with hats during a match.

couch
09-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Not real good marketing for Prince, huh? I know he's with prince and I just assumed he was wearing a Prince shirt that probably had the emblem at the bottom or on the sleeve or something. But most people wouldn't know that. Just look at this thread.

Bogie
09-07-2006, 08:49 PM
no, he was definitely rocking all prince today, from the socks and shoes to the shorts and shirts. he's all prince

Thud and blunder
09-08-2006, 03:30 AM
What the heck's the point of an endorsement deal if no-one can figure out the brand?

I wouldn't mind wearing unmarked gear, but I still need to know who to buy it from!?

BreakPoint
09-08-2006, 10:09 AM
The problem with a lot of the Prince apparel is that the Prince "P" logo on them is in the same color as the rest of the shirt or shorts or jacket or whatever. That's makes it very hard to see the logo at all. I think they do this for the subtle and conservative look, and it appeals to people who don't want big logos on their clothes to scream brand name pretentiousness.

couch
09-08-2006, 03:54 PM
A white or black "P" is still very subtle. I think they could at least make the logo show up with a contrasting color. It just doesn't make much sense to make the logo match the color of the shirt. Why even pay the guy to endorse the brand if most people don't even know he's wearing it. I think I heard someone in the stands yell out, "Somebody get that guy a clothing contract". I don't think that speaks too well for your marketing efforts.

Someone in the marketing/design department needs a talkin' to if you ask me.

Thud and blunder
09-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Agreed. At least put a 'P' on his hat or something, so that people can connect the dots.

slice bh compliment
09-09-2006, 03:59 AM
A lot of the Prince stuff has the tonal logos. I like it, but it doesn't make much sense if your guy is playing in it on TV.
Re: Davydenko, I saw the new Champions logo on one of his shirts, too. It was during his qf vs Haas.

brinkeguthrie
09-09-2006, 09:47 AM
thata definately a Champion C9 shirt from off the rack at Target.

malakas
09-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Davydenko currently does not have a clothing sponsor. He has a deal with Prince only for racquets and shoes. Prince was providing him clothes earlier this year but no longer.

brinkeguthrie
09-09-2006, 10:08 AM
i dont get why they just wouldnt do the whole deal.

couch
09-09-2006, 10:12 AM
That's very strange that he wouldn't at least wear Prince clothes. But it's also strange that he's not under contract anymore with Prince for clothes. Didn't he just sign a contract with them for clothes?

Maybe he's sponsored by Target :)

johnkidd
09-09-2006, 10:13 AM
thata definately a Champion C9 shirt from off the rack at Target.

I saw that just now and did a double take. It is the Champion C9. Target might get a run of people looking for this shirt LOL

malakas
09-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Raymond, Stubbs and Gambill, who all formerly wore Prince are looking for new deals as well.Maybe Prince is no longer in the clothes biz..:confused:
His clothes-contract with Prince was till the end of last year.

Ronaldo
09-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I saw that just now and did a double take. It is the Champion C9. Target might get a run of people looking for this shirt LOL
The price sure is right for that gear. Does Champion make shorts w/pockets too?

thetenniskid07
09-09-2006, 11:00 AM

Yes they do.

johnkidd
09-09-2006, 11:33 AM
They make a navy pair with two white stripes. I haven't seen them in my size in awhile. The C9 socks are also great.

Caswell
09-09-2006, 12:07 PM
I did a double-take when I noticed him wearing a shirt I got at Target for $11.99.

The C9 stuff there is great, and cheap. Just as good as the expensive Adidas stuff I wore as a junior when I cared about brands.

BreakPoint
09-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Davydenko currently does not have a clothing sponsor. He has a deal with Prince only for racquets and shoes. Prince was providing him clothes earlier this year but no longer.

How do you know?

Did you read my post above and the press release in my post #9?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1125021&postcount=9

Seems silly for Prince to have a deal with him for racquets, shoes, and clothing, and then just cancel the clothing part in less than a year, but keep the racquet and shoes parts. Doesn't make any sense to me so I don't believe it. BTW, both Nicholay and his brother were wearing Prince apparel during the Haas match.

BreakPoint
09-09-2006, 03:19 PM
His clothes-contract with Prince was till the end of last year.

Can you cite some sources?

I find that hard to believe since he only signed the clothing deal with Prince at the end of September last year. So you're saying it was only a 3 month clothing contract? Come on, get real. No way that's true.

BreakPoint
09-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Hmmm...you guys are right. He was wearing a Champion C9 shirt from Target in the early part of his match against Haas: http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=71805872&cdi=0

Just like this one for $11.99: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_1/601-2398950-4117704?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000EPXAI0

But later he changed into an all white Prince shirt.

Bryant
09-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I saw the C9 shirt too and I was like..."I have that shirt!" ...not really that shirt but u get the idea...I have 3 C9 shirts and 1 short. I actually prefer the C9's to my nike shirt, but the shorts, the pockets are a bit small, not deep enough.

lacoster
09-11-2006, 10:03 PM
"For the dignity of the sport, could someone give Nikolay Davydenko a clothing deal?", Jon Wertheim, USOpen parting shots, CNNSI.com

Davydenko was wearing Oscillates for the entire clay court season and then Vapor Speeds on grass. Prince needs to write better contracts and insert breach of contract clauses because other supposed 'head-to-toe' Prince players Lisa Raymond (Zoom Animos)and Ai Sugiyama (Air Lumify) have been seen sporting Nike shoes.

Yonex contracts must be very airtight because I have yet to see Hewitt, Dementieva, or Nalbandian in other brands (shoes or clothing).
________
Suzuki Rv125 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_RV125)

malakas
09-11-2006, 10:26 PM
sorry I can't find any links to provide..that's strange...:confused:
My source is another forum...:neutral:

anyway..he only has contract with Prince for racquet not for apparell..that's why he changes his clothes and shoes ..I think he's waiting for a good deal..only problem is that he's not very marketable.. :cool:

well..hopefully he will soon.

hoosierbr
09-11-2006, 10:43 PM
I was thinking that but Prince announced last year that Davydenko signed an all-products deal. You can still find the press release on their site.

Given how steady a Top Ten player he's been the last two years Prince may be letting him try to attract other sponsors, which could be why he's been wearing some different shirts and shoes this year. If he were to get an offer I'm sure they'd let him go for that since he won't be changing racquets and is Prince really looking to make a major impact on the apparel and shoe market?

Yonex seems to make high-quality shoes but not too much in the way of clothes. Prince might do the same thing.

BreakPoint
09-11-2006, 11:01 PM
I was thinking that but Prince announced last year that Davydenko signed an all-products deal. You can still find the press release on their site.

Yes, it was in my Post #9 above: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1125021&postcount=9
or here:
http://www.princetennis.com/news_events/press/press_release.asp?iCategoryID=17&iDocTypeID=3&DocumentID=511

... is Prince really looking to make a major impact on the apparel and shoe market?

Yes, Prince is very serious about the tennis shoe and apparel markets. They sponsor some tournaments like the SAP Open and provide the volunteers with shoes and apparel.
Prince is the #3 tennis shoe brand and they are always battling with Wilson for the shoe market. They make great tennis shoes and the new M series look great!
http://www.princetennis.com/news_events/press/press_release.asp?iCategoryID=17&iDocTypeID=3&DocumentID=517

BreakPoint
09-11-2006, 11:02 PM
anyway..he only has contract with Prince for racquet not for apparell..that's why he changes his clothes and shoes ..I think he's waiting for a good deal..only problem is that he's not very marketable.. :cool:

Did you not read my Post #9 and the Prince press release that's linked?

BreakPoint
09-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Davydenko was wearing Oscillates for the entire clay court season and then Vapor Speeds on grass. Prince needs to write better contracts and insert breach of contract clauses because other supposed 'head-to-toe' Prince players Lisa Raymond (Zoom Animos)and Ai Sugiyama (Air Lumify) have been seen sporting Nike shoes.

That's because Prince does not make either a clay court shoe nor a grass court shoe. The Prince sponsored player's contracts allow them to wear another brand of shoes if Prince does not make an appropriate shoe for a specific surface.

malakas
09-11-2006, 11:08 PM
ah yes I did.I have seen also other links to last year's Prince's public announcement that Davydenko would wear all prince..
But if you go to their site,in the prince teams they list him as only using their racquet..:confused:
I think that he's not with prince for clothes..I don't know.. ..

hoosierbr
09-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I think I remember seeing the umpires and linesman wearing Prince stuff at the SAP Open now that you mention it. If they are looking to impact those markets they need to do a better job making the Prince logo noticeable on their clothes and make some clay suited shoes. Grass shoes would be nice too but I think you can get away with wearing shoes that aren't grass court specific.

BreakPoint
09-11-2006, 11:26 PM
But if you go to their site,in the prince teams they list him as only using their racquet..:confused:
I think that he's not with prince for clothes..I don't know.. ..

I don't think that means anything as they also only show a pic of a racquet under Raymond and Sugiyama also and I've seen them wearing Prince clothes and shoes.

johnkidd
09-12-2006, 07:23 AM
When I was watching Davydenko practice here in Cincinnati he was wearing Prince clothes and shoes. His brother had the new Prince M shoes on although he had on the during the Open which I think is an older model.

I also came to the conclusion that Davydenko should be the common guys favorite player given it appears he really doesn't care how he looks out there and just goes and plays.

JordanR
09-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah he was definitely wearing the C9, same stuff I wear. I love it because its so cheap! I joke with my friends that C9 is my 'unofficial official sponsor' because thats all I wear. Davydenko would be a good talent to pick up for them they should get something arranged :) Unless of course I would start to have to pay $20+ for shirts and shorts as opposed to $10

malakas
09-12-2006, 08:47 AM
He's blogging for ATP this week :)..This hopefully will bring more attention to him!! :p

BreakPoint
09-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Davydenko would be a good talent to pick up for them they should get something arranged :) Unless of course I would start to have to pay $20+ for shirts and shorts as opposed to $10

That's probably what would happen if Champion C9 started sponsoring pro players. The reason why they can sell their clothes for so cheap is that they don't have to pay millions of dollars in endorsement fees to the pros. That's also why Nike and Adidas tennis clothes are so expensive - you're the one paying the pros' salaries to wear them. Besides, if the C9 stuff became expensive, I doubt Target would continue carrying them.

Caswell
09-13-2006, 02:51 PM
I'd like to keep my no-endorsement $11.99 shirts, thank you very much.

BTW, I'm reminded of why Wilson's gear costs twice as much as Dunlop's every time I look at the TW page for Wilson racquets and see dozens of pro faces.

BreakPoint
09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
What's amazing is that I actually find the C9 shirts to work much better in moving my sweat to the outside of the shirt and keeping me dry than my Nike, Adidas, Fila, Reebok, etc. shirts that cost three times as much!

hoosierbr
09-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Maybe it's my eyes but if you look at the pics from today at the China Open on gettyimages Davydenko doesn't seem to be wearing Prince apparel. His shoes look like Barricades to me. Any thoughts?

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=EventImagesSearchState%7c0%7c1%7c0 %7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c71817025%7c0%7 c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=2&tag=2

BreakPoint
09-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah, definitely Barricade II's and he's wearing that same C9 shirt from Target that he wore at the US Open. Perhaps his apparel and shoe contract with Prince was just for one year and it's now expired. He did sign it in Sept. 2005.

tennis life
09-14-2006, 03:44 PM
They said on tv "Davydenko vs Federer, davdenko is 6 in the world and he doesnt have a clothing sponsor. im gonna guess that means hes not sponsored by prince for clothing

slice bh compliment
09-14-2006, 03:47 PM
What's amazing is that I actually find the C9 shirts to work much better in moving my sweat to the outside of the shirt and keeping me dry than my Nike, Adidas, Fila, Reebok, etc. shirts that cost three times as much!

Moderators, please do something about BreakPoint. This man must be stopped. We cannot let it get out that a Champion shirt from Target outperforms TW's au courant offerings! And at a third the price!?!?

BreakPoint
09-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Moderators, please do something about BreakPoint. This man must be stopped. We cannot let it get out that a Champion shirt from Target outperforms TW's au courant offerings! And at a third the price!?!?

Yeah, but who buys those expensive shirts for if they move sweat or not anyway? People buy them to look like the pros and are more than willing to pay the price to look cool. :D

Hey, for some people it's better to "look" cool than to actually "be" cool (body temperture-wise). ;) LOL

Faber
09-14-2006, 06:14 PM
BP: Was your C9 shirt purchased at exactly same time and washed/used the same amount of time?

slice bh compliment
09-14-2006, 07:49 PM
BP: Was your C9 shirt purchased at exactly same time and washed/used the same amount of time?

Uh oh, now he's really gonna drop the bomb: they were worn and washed longer and more often than the name brands. And they smell better. And they helped improve footwork and touch, too.;)

Advantage: Champion C9.

I'm half kidding, but I just bought one yesterday and played (and worked out) with it today. Not as nice feeling as a Diadora shirt, but it's better than an adidias or a Nike.

Freedom
09-14-2006, 07:51 PM
It's not C9. It's CG-ChampionGear. It's good stuff, IMO. I have quite a few CG shirts.

slice bh compliment
09-14-2006, 08:07 PM
It's not C9. It's CG-ChampionGear. It's good stuff, IMO. I have quite a few CG shirts.

Thought so. that 9 is a G.
And now so am I.

Freedom
09-14-2006, 08:08 PM
And now so am I.

:confused:

The 'G' is backwards so the design looks cooler...

slice bh compliment
09-14-2006, 08:11 PM
:confused:

The 'G' is backwards so the design looks cooler...

Yeah, a lower case g.
Good product.

BreakPoint
09-14-2006, 08:37 PM

Yes. They've always worked as good or better than the other name brands from the very first wearing.

Think about it. Regardless of brand, they are all just polyester. There's not a whole lot of "technology" involved. BTW, I find that the ones with the mesh-like fabric to work the best in moving sweat.

BreakPoint
09-14-2006, 08:43 PM
And now so am I.

Sorry to burst your bubble guys. It's "C9" not "CG".

I posted this link before in this thread: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_1/601-9669112-6863340?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000EPXAI0

You can also look at this page: http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=in_se_pagelist/601-9669112-6863340?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=10825231&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=10825231&rank=%2Bdaterank&size=41&page=1

rfprse
09-14-2006, 08:53 PM
c9 is ok. I've been using it, but I would not say it's better.
From my experience, it's heavier & contains heat more.
Not good for the hot & humid weather.

tetsuo10
09-14-2006, 10:21 PM
I would suggest spending a little more on the good stuff. I bought some of the C9 stuff in an attempt to save some money before, and they didn't last longer than a few months before falling apart. The C9 compression top doesn't even compress at all. Just because it's made of the same material doesn't mean it's of the same quality and feel.

lacoster
09-14-2006, 10:31 PM

That's because Prince does not make either a clay court shoe nor a grass court shoe. The Prince sponsored player's contracts allow them to wear another brand of shoes if Prince does not make an appropriate shoe for a specific surface.

Prince should make them special shoes for the sake of the brand. Yonex and Babolat specifically make grass and clay court shoes only for their tour players, which are not available to the public.
________
BUY SILVERSURFER VAPORIZER (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

slice bh compliment
09-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble guys. It's "C9" not "CG".

I posted this link before in this thread: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_1/601-9669112-6863340?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000EPXAI0

You can also look at this page: http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=in_se_pagelist/601-9669112-6863340?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=10825231&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=10825231&rank=%2Bdaterank&size=41&page=1

Got it. C9 it is.

Here is my question. How do they keep their prices so low? They have positioned their brand and made a good product. This must **** off the major pro specialty brands, huh?

Retail is wild.

BreakPoint
09-15-2006, 02:10 AM
Here is my question. How do they keep their prices so low? They have positioned their brand and made a good product.

Easy. They don't endorse anybody so they don't have to pay hundreds of millions in endorsement fees to the pros. Just remember that when you buy a Nike shirt for $50, that a large percentage of that money goes into the pockets of Federer, Nadal, Agassi (before he switched), Blake, Hewitt (before he switched), Sharapova, Serena, etc., and to all the other marketing and advertising expenses to make the Nike brand popular. Nike ads are everywhere.

C9 doesn't have all those expenses. They just make the shirts and sell them through Target. I'm sure their production cost to make a shirt is comparable to Nike's cost to make a shirt.

thetenniskid07
10-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Now he's wearing barricade ii's

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71886150.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193CC300C081D9F4700E8473A8F448CA015 0FC1ED2BEDDC8880

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71869104.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193CC300C081D9F470049532882C7D8FABF DA6E72D42E3C72F8

Donovan_mi
12-22-2006, 09:50 AM
he wore prince Freaks alot thru out 2006 season. Those shoes are not sold by Prince anymore :(. not for hmmm 2 years??...., yet, there he is.. running around in his Freaks.

jamumafa
12-22-2006, 09:57 AM
He was wearing Asics clothes at the DC final

PBODY99
12-22-2006, 01:08 PM
I know it may sound strange but there are players who will use what works & is free. If someone wants to pay them, find. For a Professional if there racket company won't pay them to wear their shoes & clothes, but they can get some for the right price, they'll wear it.
It cuts the cost of trying to make that money.

mctennis
12-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, why pay $50 for a plastic shirt when you can pay $10.

I agree 100%. I can't stand those plastic shirts. I sweat like crazy in them.

Chauvalito
01-03-2007, 08:23 PM
If I am not mistaken I also saw davydenko wearing the chinese sport brand that the is the incoming new ATP official sponsor...