PDA

View Full Version : Customizing Head grips/handle

TonyB
09-07-2006, 02:45 PM
I've been demo-ing a Head FP Radical for a couple of days and I'm not really used to the "rectangular" shaped grip quite yet. In fact, since I use a semi-western forehand, I'm getting some significant pressure point pain right at the base of my index finger. That's right where the "wide" part of the handle meets the corner chamfer edge. That edge is putting pressure directly on my finger joint.

Anyways, has anyone actually tried to "round out" that edge, to make it more similar to the "traditional" style handle shape? I was thinking of going with a slightly larger grip size (4 1/2 instead of my usual 4 3/8), taking off the grip, then using a file to slightly remove the edge that's giving me problems.

Has anyone actually tried to do this? I can't believe it's a unique problem.

BTW, the grip size is correct -- it fits my hand just the same as my other racquets and I wouldn't want to go smaller/bigger on the size because my other strokes would suffer. Serving feels great, volleys are great (more eastern grip) and backhands are wonderful. It's just the forehand that I'm encountering the pain problem with.

Thanks.

AJK1
09-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Sacre bleu!!! Leave the racquet alone and file your finger down;)

Steve Huff
09-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Buy it ONE size small. Then, take a heat shrink sleeve and shrink it onto the handle. Next, cut it off, making sure you cut along the top or bottom bevel. Carefully cut off the top bevel on both sides of where you just cut it off. Cut out the bottom panel to. This will leave you with 2 pieces, each of which will cover 3 panels. Glue them into place. Add your grip back on. This will feel fairly close.

Davai
09-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Buy it ONE size small. Then, take a heat shrink sleeve and shrink it onto the handle. Next, cut it off, making sure you cut along the top or bottom bevel. Carefully cut off the top bevel on both sides of where you just cut it off. Cut out the bottom panel to. This will leave you with 2 pieces, each of which will cover 3 panels. Glue them into place. Add your grip back on. This will feel fairly close.

That sounds really good. My only concern is what if it doesn't work out, how would I remove the shrink sleeve?

Ripper
09-08-2006, 06:49 AM
That sounds really good. My only concern is what if it doesn't work out, how would I remove the shrink sleeve?

Simple. Use a weak glue first and, if you like it, then, go for one of those ultra-strong glues.

TonyB
09-09-2006, 03:44 PM

I'm pretty sure I understand what you're describing. Basically, you have 2 pieces that cover the 3 panels on the "top" and "bottom" of the grip, leaving the 2 side panels unchanged. Just adding thickness to the rectangular shape, making it more square.

But what sort of "heat shrink" are you talking about? Could I simply use a thin piece of rubber sheet or something like that?

snoflewis
09-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm pretty sure I understand what you're describing. Basically, you have 2 pieces that cover the 3 panels on the "top" and "bottom" of the grip, leaving the 2 side panels unchanged. Just adding thickness to the rectangular shape, making it more square.

But what sort of "heat shrink" are you talking about? Could I simply use a thin piece of rubber sheet or something like that?

TW has them. they're like $2 each. go to tools and supplies and it should be there.

TonyB
09-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I found the shrink tubing on TW. Looks like it's exactly what I need.

I did order the racquet with a smaller grip size. I will try to build it up as described. Thanks for the tips.

BDAZ
09-10-2006, 02:32 AM
just add electrical tape to the two flat bevels. add until you get the desired grip shape. the more tape you add, the rounder the grip will get. this has worked well for me.