PDA

View Full Version : how to use the legs to hit an explosive shot?

redtennis55
09-07-2006, 03:13 PM
How to use the legs to hit harder? I bend my knees but it does not seem to add pace.

mona999
09-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Ready Revolutionary Tennis.... apparently you need to adopt a forward stance and move towards the ball with a linear motion. This linear motion generates and maximizes the power needed to hit a hard shot. It also tells you NOT to rotate your body, as this takes power away from your shot.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/step2.html

It's definitely worth reading as much from that site as possible. There's sooo much quality information there that I don't think too many tennis players at higher levels even know about.

Bagumbawalla
09-07-2006, 09:49 PM
I read through that article suggested, above. While is worthwhile, it is also long and complicated.

You know how when you shut a heavy car door or old gate, you lean your weight into it. You don't just push with your arm.

The same thing is true in hitting the ball. You need to get as much body mass cracking throught the ball as smoothly and effectively as possible.

Start with your legs. Get your body weight moving foreward (in the direction you want the ball to go). Your knees will pivot in unison and keep the motion fluid. You rotate slightly at the waist and shoulders "pulling" your arm along (the same direction as your weight shifts from the back to the foreward leg). At a certain point your weight will be mostly over your foreward foot. This is about when you contact the ball (for different people the point may vary). Try to capture or "hold" the ball with your eyes (like a lightning flash) and hit through it in a smooth, powerful motion.

TaintedWisdom
09-07-2006, 10:50 PM
havent read the article, but a tip which has to be helpful as it is for pitching (was a pitcher for a while) is getting your body into it. by this I mean, get as many body parts involved in a swing. In baseball, a pitcher will pick up his leg, twist it around, kick it out, move hip, load shoulder blades, twist hand AND A BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF AT THE SAME TIME. this generates more energy (is actually a science proven fact, and is being displayed at the new york hall of science which now has a sports based section).

For tennis some of this has to apply rofl.

DX_Psycho
09-07-2006, 11:17 PM
the way i think of it is that when you bend your knee and sit up through the shot it's liek you're pushing off the ground and sending the energy into the shot. helps me a lot.

andyroddick's mojo
09-08-2006, 12:14 AM
you need to jump more through the ball, horizontally. most people think they have to jump up, but jumping up only makes the ball go higher.

habib
09-08-2006, 10:47 AM
you need to jump more through the ball, horizontally. most people think they have to jump up, but jumping up only makes the ball go higher.

For topspin, actually. Much like driving forward produces more pace.

redtennis55
09-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Many of you have answered my question in the context of a closed stance, but I was wondering actually how to do it for an open stance? Jumping foreward w/ that stance would be kind of hard. I do use closed stance but it would be nice to know how for open stance.

jackson vile
09-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Ready Revolutionary Tennis.... apparently you need to adopt a forward stance and move towards the ball with a linear motion. This linear motion generates and maximizes the power needed to hit a hard shot. It also tells you NOT to rotate your body, as this takes power away from your shot.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/step2.html

It's definitely worth reading as much from that site as possible. There's sooo much quality information there that I don't think too many tennis players at higher levels even know about.

Now that is top notch help! That along with hi-techtennis.com are my two favorite sources for information

If you could only have two sources of information those would be my picks, mona you are on your way to topnotch tennis!

Bagumbawalla
09-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Closed or open stance-- it's basically the same-- the momentum moves in the direction of the ball.

In either case, you don't actually "Jump" foreward- not in the conventional sense of "leaping". You move your weight through the ball in a smooth, powerful, transfer- from back to front in the direction you want the ball to travel. It may seem like a jump because of the explosive (depending on you skill) nature the stroke.

redtennis55
09-08-2006, 03:41 PM
In a quote from the sticky:
Open Stance - A common problem with players hitting from an open stance is that upon initiating their forward swing, they move their weight from their right to their left foot. This movement detracts from the linear path that the racket must take into contact to optimize pace and accuracy. The result is that players often pull off the ball too early, reducing both power and accurate placement. In order to prevent this from happening, players should attempt to keep their center of gravity between their two legs. Try to avoid the feel of having your center of gravity tilted towards your right leg during the set up phase, moving towards a tilt towards the left leg during and immediately following the swing phase.

When you say back to front I believe that you are talking about shifting from right to left (for righties) but this guy says that you shouldn't, and BB agreed with him in the quote. Now I am confused as which one I should try.

Bagumbawalla
09-08-2006, 08:32 PM
No, you are, correct, The weight shifts in the direction of the path you want the ball to follow. In that way, the building of momentum is basically the same-- open or closed stance. The movement/shifting of weight follows the direction of the ball, not the position of the legs.

I, personally, hit with a more "closed" style and was thinking in those terms.

Actually, When I do hit from an open position, I feel, as you described, my knees are pivoting, but my weight is more balanced.

I think I would get the feel of a closed stance first, then shift to the open because I think it takes more timing/co-ordination to find power from that position.

Sorry to confuse-- I think you are on the right track,

B