PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Buttcap Moves around/Loose

jonolau
09-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Guys,

One of our fellow TTW posters has been having an issue with the butt cap on his Dunlop HM200G and M-Fil 200 that keeps coming loose and moving around. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1124418&postcount=229)

Has anyone else had this experience or have a solution to help him?

anirut
09-07-2006, 06:50 PM
With such situation ...

I'll redo the job. Take out the grip and re-staple the thing with heavy duty staples.

My Redondo buttcap was re-stapled with ... ahem ... well, I drove by a coffin-making shop, got off my car and asked for the cap to be stapled and got it done for free. All done in three minutes. And these are big, broad and long staples. No movement whatsoever with the buttcap.

carTW
09-07-2006, 07:15 PM
yes, I have that symptom on my M-Fil200s. It feels that you cannot trust the buttcap not to twist or come off, but it appears to be stapled pretty good and I don't think the buttcap will come off or even move to a point that it would affect play. So I just accept it, the rest of the racquet is very good.

uovagabond
09-07-2006, 09:20 PM
i use the m-fil 200's and still have 2 HM 200g's and never have had this problem with the racquet. ive actually never had this problem with any racquet, but ive heard of it. especially on babolats and heads. i think its more of how someone holds the racquet and where the pressure is applied on the grip instead of a defect. i mean the people ive known who have had this issue have had it with almost every racquet theyve had, but i guess having a "weak" grip support system can contribute to this problem.

tschevap
09-07-2006, 10:44 PM
@jonolau/all: Thanks for your help! :)

@topic...yes, i hold the racket at the very end of the grip and that way more pressure is applied to the grip-end. I have played with all brands until today (except ProKennex) and NEVER had any problems - only with Dunlops. And here i had those problems immediately after starting using those rackets...

The problem affects my play very much: The gripend simply is moving around during swinging. In addition you hear an annoying sound at ball contact and there is a vibration coming from the moving...that is annoying and i cannot accept that.

I already tried the option with the staples - but: As i wrote before the Dunlop grips are VERY sensitive to break ...it is some kind of hard foam, which is very porous... once one of the staples gets loose, all the material around the hole starts to break...it is simply an engineeric mess!

Today i will talk to Dunlop again and if they do not offer me something, that solves this forever, i will turn away and go on to another brand...

As i said before: never had problems with Head, Prince, Babolat, Tecnifibre, Topspin, Völkl, Wilson, ... never! And i held the grip the same way

anirut
09-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Oh ... it's foam ...

Just fix it with epoxy glue. Period. The resin in the epoxy itself is "real material" and will hold nicely.

And you can forget about it becoming loose ... or even removing it.

jonolau
09-08-2006, 02:53 AM
Oh ... it's foam ...

Just fix it with epoxy glue. Period. The resin in the epoxy itself is "real material" and will hold nicely.

And you can forget about it becoming loose ... or even removing it.
Why didn't I think of that! I agree totally with Anirut. Very rarely will most players remove the butt cap, only those who enjoy modifying the racquet by adding a removing lead weights in the handle.

If not, just use epoxy as Anirut had suggested, it will definitely solve all the problems.

Speedygonzalez
06-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Why didn't I think of that! I agree totally with Anirut. Very rarely will most players remove the butt cap, only those who enjoy modifying the racquet by adding a removing lead weights in the handle.

If not, just use epoxy as Anirut had suggested, it will definitely solve all the problems.

I know this is an older topic but I would like to ask Jonolau (and others who had the same problem):
How have you fixed the loose butcap? I have just acquired two Aerogels 200 which have squeeking handles and I am suspecting the butcaps. I am not 100% sure because I just found out this afternoon and I haven't removed the grips yet. The sound is not really bad, but I am afraid that it will get worse!
I also have several Revelations 200gs that have the same problem but their butcaps seem to be pretty fixed.....

Also, if I restaple the butcap, which size staples should I use?

BTW is this just a Dunlop thing? I have played with many Head rackets and I never had this problem. Also with other brands I never experienced this!

And besides the squeeking handles the Aerogels really play awesome!

FH2FH
06-19-2008, 11:09 AM
With Dunlops you can glue the buttcap on and still be able to put lead in using the pop-off door. I've used Gorilla Glue with success a few times to do this. works great and no staples are needed.

icorp
06-19-2008, 11:15 AM
With such situation ...

I'll redo the job. Take out the grip and re-staple the thing with heavy duty staples.

My Redondo buttcap was re-stapled with ... ahem ... well, I drove by a coffin-making shop, got off my car and asked for the cap to be stapled and got it done for free. All done in three minutes. And these are big, broad and long staples. No movement whatsoever with the buttcap.

Glad to know its secure, you certainly don't want any movement inside those coffins! :)

icorp
06-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I apply a small piece of overgrip around the end of the handle and slip on the buttcap to get a tigher fit if the buttcap is loose or the wrong size.

FH2FH
06-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Gorilla Glue = $3. DO IT, NOW. ;)

Have you ever "worn out" a buttcap. Probably not. Just glue it and forget about it.

Speedygonzalez
06-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will first try to fix my older Revelations in case I mess up the Aerogels. Hopefully I can find someone whose staplegun I can use for free, if I need one. Don't want to spend 50 euros for a tool I will hardly use!

anirut
06-19-2008, 05:11 PM
If the buttcap already fits snugly to the pallet, leaving no space, may I suggest a real crazy method I have just discovered?

Use 3M double-sided tape. The thin one. Just wrap it around the pallet end, insert the buttcap and that's it.

I could not pull out the buttcap after that. Ever.

To remove, I had to shove a thin blade between the buttcap and the pallet to "crumble" the tape. Even then, I had to pull really hard to get it moving out slowly.

mdjenders
06-19-2008, 05:18 PM
I will echo the others, use gorilla glue. I have had/seen/played with loose butt caps on dunlop (several), tecnifibre, babolat, and head, and a little of the glue keeps it cemented in place.

nn
06-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah on demo racquet (dunlop areogel 200) I notice that when I hold it and just swing not even hitting balls. It is annoying..

airdupont
06-20-2008, 05:04 AM
dunlop is major crap

jck01
06-20-2008, 05:16 AM
If the buttcap already fits snugly to the pallet, leaving no space, may I suggest a real crazy method I have just discovered?

Use 3M double-sided tape. The thin one. Just wrap it around the pallet end, insert the buttcap and that's it.

I could not pull out the buttcap after that. Ever.

Wow! I had two Head racquets with loose buttcaps. I should have thought about that before selling it. I know better now.

Speedygonzalez
06-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys for all the input!

I removed the overgrip this morning and it was indeed the butcap which made the squeeking sound. It was firmly secured by staples but still slight movement was possible which caused the sound.

So many suggestions and I see that Gorilla Glue has great support on this board. Unfortunately we don't have that in the Netherlands. Since I didn't want to spend 50 euros on a pneumatic staple gun I tried the 'Arinut method' combined with our local superglue: Bisonkit. For the Arinut method I used double sided carpet tape (very thin and only 1.25 euro on the market!) and I applied the glue on top of the pallet grip. I hardly could put the butcap back once I had double sided tape around the pallet but I used a hammer and a towel to secure it gently.
And guess what: the squeeking sound is gone! Hurray, hurray, hurray!

I haven't played with the racquet yet but I think the butcap is now much more securely fixed.

Thanks Arinut and everyone else!

Tennisguy777
06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
dunlop is major crap

Hey , hey watch it. They make good racquets. Have you ever tried any of their sticks before. At least their CC is not as bad as Wilson and Babolat. I did have the same prob with 1 0f my AGs. I thought I was going nuts or something, guess not. Feels like cap moves slightly but when I remove the grip and all it feels fine and plays fine, decided to forget about it.

nn
06-20-2008, 03:54 PM
dunlop is major crap

yeah babolat & wilson are selling because of top 3 are using it and they are dominating minds of club players who would like to hit same shots but it never works.

K90 will never get 85 points because of the hype (even TW play tester are not overly exited but score shows something else)

kblade less said is better and babolat gives more of less elbow pain to us and pros as well (they play custom one & lot of money)

I have gone through the cycle and trying out racquets which suits me not who plays with it.

Dunlop AG100 specs are interesting and 200 feels good but heavy so waiting for 100 arrive at shop for demo

PED
06-20-2008, 05:52 PM
I had the same issue yesterday in my pure storm tour and the guy at our local shop said it was caused by the way I hold the racquet. I hold mine at the very bottom of the butt cap with a lot of torque caused by the way my pinky wraps around the cap. I've noticed it since I went down in grip size to a 1/4 and whip it more.

He mentioned that if you don't restaple, glue it or whatever then the movement can eventually damage the foam in the grip and mess the racquet up. I don't know if that's true but just passing it on. Superglue and new staples took care of my problem. I wish I'd seen this thread last night though ;)