PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Reccomendations?

Reveille1984
09-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Just curious as to whether a self-taught beginner player (2.0 ish level) would benefit more from a small group lesson, or a private lesson? I live in the Long Beach, CA area and was going to register for some group lessons (once weekly for a few months), but started thinking about whether a private lesson might pay off more? I know private is much more expensive, but if I got more out of it then I guess it'd be worth it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Spindarella
09-07-2006, 07:31 PM
If you want the best instruction and can afford it, go private. If you want more of just practice, go with small group

AngeloDS
09-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Group lessons are fun as you can see other people and other people can see you. A lot of people are oblivious to how their strokes or technique looks; so you can benefit from lessons as long as you go in there knowing what you want to work on and take it seriously and work real hard at the goal at hand.

A lot of people tend to just "hit" the ball and not work on aspects. You're going to have to do a lot of stuff you don't like, but in the end you should come out a better player if not better, with more potential to be better. Big thing is just to keep your feet moving throughout the whole lesson. Don't let those feet stop.

If you plan to go private be sure you know what you want to work on specifically to get the most out of it. Like for me, I'd write down things like Forehand volley and taking it low (serve & volley; first volley). That was always my worst volley and I'd work on it.

But just make it worth it; do what he says and do it at 110%. Give it your all.

str33t
09-07-2006, 08:52 PM
i've tried both. private helped so much more. in a group lesson, you don't get one-on-one attention. the coach cannot pay attention to just one person the whole time during a group lesson.

Reveille1984
09-07-2006, 09:57 PM
thanks for the tips.

I was thinking maybe I'd just do both, since a group session might help me meet some more people that are around my level that I can hit the ball around with. Since it's only once a week lessons for an hour, maybe I'll just get a couple private lessons on the side as well. I'm already 22, I feel like I'm running out of time to improve! lol