PDA

View Full Version : M-fil 200g???

sigep1967
09-07-2006, 06:26 PM
I demoed an 2005 18x20 today and I must say it blew away the Maxply I have been playing with. Much more control and no unexpected flyers. The Maxply just seems to have way too much power for me. I could actually get more spin on serves and groundies with the Mfil 200 with the closed string pattern than the Maxply? You fellows who have tried this one what do you think?

uovagabond
09-07-2006, 09:13 PM
i use the m-fil 200's and have 2 of the old hotmelt 200g's too. both are extremely solid sticks. never hit with the maxply before so i cant compare with the 200's. but i do know the 200's are just solid all around: vollies, groundies, serves, slice; all are crisp and controlled in my hands. this racquet provides great control through spins and frame response, but lacks in power and ball feel. the feeling is muted on all shots which doesnt provide feedback from the ball. but this racquets is for sure any advanced player. its sweet from anywhere on the court so no player who generates their own pace/spin will be disappointed in this sticks performance.

sigep1967
09-08-2006, 03:29 AM
That is what I seemed to like about it you got out what you put in. With the Maxply I would get some odd shots every now and then. I think due to the stiffness.

sigep1967
09-10-2006, 05:10 PM
OK I have had several days to hit with this racquet and really like it so far. It lets me hit all out without worrying that the ball will fly into the fence like the Maxply did. What I don't understand is why I seem to be able to spin it more with the 18x20 pattern versus the 16x20 pattern on the Maxply. Also If I do decide to buy a couple oft hese has anyone replaced the stock grip with leather? The hydromax feels good but my hand tear up the grip pretty bad. If someone out there changed the grip how much differnece did it make to the balance.

anirut
09-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Leather grip is about 26 +/- 1 gram. A hydromax is probably around 15 +/- 2 grams, I guess. An overgrip around 7.2 +/- 0.5 grams.

You can try adding 1.5 overgrips just to check how the balance changes. Give it a +/- 1 pt. error.

I'm not saying you should go out and play with what I just described. I'm just giving you a rough (very rough) idea of how you may feel the balance if you change to a leather grip.

sigep1967
09-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Sounds like it will be perfect. Will raise the static weight to about 12.5 and give me a couple of more pts hl.

Anybody got suggestions on strings?

anirut
09-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Strings? Dunno ...

Anyway, since the mFil200 has the same head size & 18x20 as the Redondo, the strings in my racket weight precisely at 14 grams. This is 17G Gamma Synthetic with Wearguard strung at 61.5 lbs.

In general strings weight around 15 +/- 1.5 grams, I guess.

Forgot to tell you this -- a full, uncut overgrip will change the blance by around 1.5 pts., once properly wrapped to the handle top.

The rest you can do a rough calculation.

sigep1967
09-10-2006, 06:39 PM
I am demoing a redondo next week. I think that the reson I like the M-fil 200 so much is the specs are almost dead on to the racquet I grew up with a Max 200g except for stiffness. The Maxply's were just to stiff for me I guess I hit too flat. If I could just learn to serve worth a damn:D :D

anirut
09-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Sigep,

If 1967 is your birth year, I'm just a year older than you are ... YES! Those Max 200G years ...

Note that I customized my Redondo pretty hard to get it to play the way I like as it is now. Took some learning to get to that. Also the Redondo's flexier than the mFil.

If you like the Redondo after demoing and should like to have my setup, I'd be happy to share. Oh, I play mostly flat with tops here and there with 1HBH. Old school, you know ...

sigep1967
09-10-2006, 07:15 PM
yeah me too flat and hard. Never could keep the maxply in the line just too much power for my swing style. I really don't think I would have to do anything to the Mfil 200. With the redondo looks like it will need about 8-10 grams at 3-9 to make it play the same. The only thing that worries me it the mfil I have been demoing has old strings in it. I am getting one from TW with the redondo so I will see what it does. Maybe it iwll have better strings. I still do not understand why I can put more spin withe mfil than the maxply other than the flex. I remember hitting some nast spin shots with the max200. One good thing is I already have a buyer for my maxplys. He plays great with them so he is going to buy them next week.

jasonbourne
09-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Sounds like it will be perfect. Will raise the static weight to about 12.5 and give me a couple of more pts hl.

Anybody got suggestions on strings?

I used to use the mfil. Gosen og-micro sheep 16g is good in this racket.

VGP
09-10-2006, 07:26 PM
hey....Dunlop HM200g user here.

Perhaps you're able to get more spin using the Mfil 200 over the Maxply McEnroe due to the more headlight balance.

You could be getting the racket head around just that much faster to get more action on the ball.

My set up with my HM 200gs was to replace the Hydramax grip with leather. Overgrip over leather. 0.5 oz lead at the handle, 0.45 oz lead in strips 1-3 o'clock, 11-9 o'clock. Total weight 13.5-13.6 oz.

As for strings, I've been using BDE Performance 16 mains, Prince synthetic gut 16 on the crosses strung at 60 lbs.

So far, I like this setup......