PDA

View Full Version : able-bodied versus wheelchair tennis

boojay
09-07-2006, 08:15 PM
anyone here have the opportunity to try this out? it's pretty fun. i played my first wheelchair opponent and he more than held his own. mind you, he's ranked 96th in the world and 6th in canada (where i'm from), so i expected him to be pretty good.

Steven87
09-07-2006, 08:59 PM
It doesnt matter if he's #1 in the world. Able bodied should win, period.

FD3S
09-07-2006, 09:13 PM
There was an article a while back about a guy (fairly good if I remember, prob. a 4.5/5.0) playing a very, very highly ranked wheelchair player. He got smoked; didn't even stand a chance.

MTChong
09-07-2006, 09:23 PM
It doesnt matter if he's #1 in the world. Able bodied should win, period.

Wow, shut up.

shawn1122
09-07-2006, 09:36 PM
able bodies in wheelchairs...

boojay
09-07-2006, 09:39 PM
There was an article a while back about a guy (fairly good if I remember, prob. a 4.5/5.0) playing a very, very highly ranked wheelchair player. He got smoked; didn't even stand a chance.

not surprised.

i think the youngin' up there with the quick and most likely uninformed reply has no clue and sorely underestimating wheelchair players. I think it's fantastic that even as a disabled person, you can still enjoy the game of tennis.

By the way, for anyone who's curious, the only diff between able bodied and wheelchair players is that the wheelchair player is allowed to let the ball bounce twice to make up for the lack of motor speed, otherwise the rules are the exact same.

watch, and be inspired: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gTrqurtZLo

noobplayer
09-07-2006, 11:18 PM
cool video...ya intersting stuff..i want to see a wheelchair guy serve :) dat video had no serve

Ano
09-07-2006, 11:33 PM

Yes, I remember an article in TENNIS magazine a few years ago.

The writer was a 4.0. He played against Jack Welch ( no. 1 wheelcair player in the world at that time).

Before the match, the TENNIS writer had a simple strategy, just hit drop shot and lob, to make his wheelchair opponent run, because he supposed his opponent can't run.

The Result? He lost the first set 2-6.

In the second set the TENNIS writer ( I forgot his name) changed his strategy and attacked the net at every points, and he lost the second set 6-7.

andyroddick's mojo
09-08-2006, 12:13 AM
i wonder if the players ever get dizzy? i'd get dizzy by turning so many times in a wheelchair.

boojay
09-08-2006, 01:02 AM
cool video...ya intersting stuff..i want to see a wheelchair guy serve :) dat video had no serve

there's a serve at the start of the vid.

anyway, the guy i played against apparently didn't throw too many 1st serves at me...hehe, or so he says, but anyhooz, i can tell you i was surprised at how much kick he was able to generate. There really was not a huge difference in play other than the two bounces.

edberg505
09-08-2006, 01:10 AM
I hit with a guy who used to be ranked #1 or #2, I can't remember which, in the world in wheel chair tennis. He was pretty good too. He is apparently from Albuquerque, NM.

scotus
09-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Are there any regulations in place for what type of wheelchairs can be used?

How about a turbo-charged power wheelchair with a joy-stick control ... and automatic height adjustment for an added advantage on the serve?

shrakkie
09-08-2006, 02:04 AM
what if u kick served over his head?...i dont get it lol!!!

also what if u kept dropshotting or hitting the corners?

shrakkie
09-08-2006, 02:06 AM
actually i just saw the vid and...wow!

goober
09-08-2006, 04:39 AM
The 2 bounce rule for wheelchair players is the great equalizer otherwise it wouldn't be close.

I think my strat would be to hit heavy topspin. Someone sitting in a wheel chair would seem to have a hard time with a ball hit deep with a lot topspin since it would bounce over their head. I would follow a lot of these shots to the net.

thursdayisgod
09-08-2006, 08:39 AM
I agree that any decent able bodied player should beat a wheel chair player, the video is no testament to otherwise.

jackson vile
09-08-2006, 08:45 AM
anyone here have the opportunity to try this out? it's pretty fun. i played my first wheelchair opponent and he more than held his own. mind you, he's ranked 96th in the world and 6th in canada (where i'm from), so i expected him to be pretty good.

Hey that is really good of you, it is hard to be taken out of your element and to do something like that.

I subed out of house for a guy named Tom and he was paralyzed, one of the nicest calmest guys I ever met, a really good role modle.

A lot of things went wrong on that house and it just did not bother him, he was just fine never got angry or anything.

He is a really good rolemodle and put things into a new perspective for me.

Bungalo Bill
09-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Hey that is really good of you, it is hard to be taken out of your element and to do something like that.

I subed out of house for a guy named Tom and he was paralyzed, one of the nicest calmest guys I ever met, a really good role modle.

A lot of things went wrong on that house and it just did not bother him, he was just fine never got angry or anything.

He is a really good rolemodle and put things into a new perspective for me.

Maybe he can teach you how to teach tennis. LOL

jackson vile
09-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Maybe he can teach you how to teach tennis. LOL

I can't believe that you would make such a coment about a handicaped person, you are a sick person!:mad:

His situation was not his fault and you bringing him into a personal vendetta shows just how morally mess up in the head you are:mad:

Tom is a good guy, and no handicapped people need to be used as fodder for your sickning attacks.

They deserve all our respect! They have been through more than you could dream of old man.

Act like a human!

You have a problem take it up with me but leave disabled people out of it!

If you can imagine what Tom goes though then use your brain and don't envolve him, you need to learn to be human being, especially if you have first hand experience, that is just sick!

Bungalo Bill
09-08-2006, 09:42 AM
I can't believe that you would make such a coment about a handicaped person, you are a sick person!:mad:

His situation was not his fault and you bringing him into a personal vendetta shows just how morally mess up in the head you are:mad:

Tom is a good guy, and no handicapped people need to be used as fodder for your sickning attacks.

They deserve all our respect! They have been through more than you could dream of old man.

Act like a human!

You have a problem take it up with me but leave disabled people out of it!

I can imagine Tom is a great guy. Maybe you can learn something from him - like being teachable.

You have no clue what raising a handicap son is like Einstein. Please don't turn this conversation into a "racist" confrontation. Also before you talk, make sure you know what your talking about. I am raising a handicapped son, so dont give me your crap.

Trinity TC
09-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Cool vid boojay! Hey Bungalo Bill and jackson vile...I'm following youse guys one more time.:p

I might have to check out this wheelchair tennis stuff. The #2 Canadian lives relatively close by. Gotta give him a call! Been in a chair for the last couple of years which has messed up my "A" game but not my coaching. Hmmm...I wonder if they have an over-50 category.

Deep balls with top spin...chair or no chair, hit 'em on the rise.:cool:

jackson vile
09-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Cool vid boojay! Hey Bungalo Bill and jackson vile...I'm following youse guys one more time.:p

I might have to check out this wheelchair tennis stuff. The #2 Canadian lives relatively close by. Gotta give him a call! Been in a chair for the last couple of years which has messed up my "A" game but not my coaching. Hmmm...I wonder if they have an over-50 category.

Deep balls with top spin...chair or no chair, hit 'em on the rise.:cool:

Hey I bet you could teach me a thing or two about tennis if you have been playing for that long! J/K

I see a lot of the older players do very well as they just know those little things to do, they already know and don't have to figure things out during the match. I have never played with an older person, and have to admit that I am afraid to LOL

I have a problem that when I am pushed back, sometimes the ball will jump too high and push me back until there is not room as it keeps rising. I know that taking them on the rise is an option but usually I can't spot it and it is too late, as it does not happen that often, and the slice does not work so good on these shots.

What do you recomend on the back hand side and the forehand side.

Also sorry about the post, BB can take things too far and I won't stand for him involving people that he does not even know, there are some lines that even slim can't cross but somehow he suprises us all

thanks

Steven87
09-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I cant imagine any of these stories....sorry

Trinity TC
09-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi jv, I took up the game late in life in 1970 at age 16. Tried every quick fix and made every mistake in the book the first five years but things finally clicked.

With regards to those high, deep balls...the guy who coached me learned the Harry Hopman Aussie method and used to lean into the shot and hit them shoulder height or head high with a slightly open racquet face on both the forehand and backhand sides. The ball used to make a crack sound like a flat shot but I think he hit it with a tiny bit of underspin and a perfectly timed wrist snap.

I used to hit it that way for years until I read an article in Sports Illustrated about ten years ago by Michael Joyce and his life as a journeyman tennis pro. He talked about the "revolutionary" power groundstroke game and hitting the ball on the rise. Couldn't remember his name until it popped up last week when they mentioned he was helping Sharapova with her game.

I was using that technique a lot out of necessity because I started to lose my mobilty at about the same time. I bellied-up to the baseline and developed the 3/4 turn (short backswing) with a long follow through type of shot that Agassi had been using for years at that point in time. The timing on the high shot was difficult but could be done 98% of the time if I could get to "my spot". It was great teaching these techniques to able-bodied students because they figured "if he can do consistently with his difficulties...then it must be easier than it looks."

Hitting on the rise is nothing new. I've got a video showing pre-WW II tennis icons, Ellsworth Vines, Fred Perry and Don Budge hitting the ball on the rise a surprisingly high percentage of the time.:cool:

Trinity TC
09-08-2006, 02:23 PM
I cant imagine any of these stories....sorry
I learned that humans are highly adaptable.:)

topspin kid
09-08-2006, 05:24 PM
it looks cool and even though its just their hands they hit harder than many people that use their body

Duzza
09-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Is he allowed 2 bounces?

Duzza
09-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I just can't see a wheelchair person winning, i mean they give you a shot and you can just hit a winner, if it's fast i doubt they have the speed.

FD3S
09-08-2006, 09:21 PM
I just can't see a wheelchair person winning, i mean they give you a shot and you can just hit a winner, if it's fast i doubt they have the speed.

Oh, man... you probably won't believe me, but the speed at which these guys can move (both rotation and lateral) is absolutely shocking. Sure, not as fast as able bodied, but that's what the extra bounce is for.

boojay
09-08-2006, 09:55 PM
pretty much anyone who doesn't acknowledge wheel-chair players are ignorant and stupid. i'm positive the ones who think nothing of said players would get their asses handed to them while using sissy, oversized racquets by serena williams.

:D

peter
09-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Oh, man... you probably won't believe me, but the speed at which these guys can move (both rotation and lateral) is absolutely shocking. Sure, not as fast as able bodied, but that's what the extra bounce is for.

Also, it's not like the wheelchair players just would dink the ball over...

Duzza
09-09-2006, 01:52 AM
I realise that now, watched that HIDDEN video.