PDA

View Full Version : oversized racquets

raiden031
09-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Is it bad to play with an oversized racquet (~115"). I've been playing with them for quite some time at the 3.0-3.5 level and was wondering if I should expect to see alot of improvement if I switch to a mid-size. I know that mid-size is better at higher levels, but I wasn't sure if it would make much of a difference at my level.

a guy
09-08-2006, 08:25 AM
It would be more difficult to use but it depends if you feel comfortable which whatever frame you choose. Play with what you feel to be most comfortable.

raiden031
09-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Are you saying the oversized or mid-sized would be more difficult to use? I've never played with a mid-size, so I don't know how to compare them. I was thinking if the mid-size could improve my game I would buy one, but I don't want to bother and spend the money if it won't make a difference.

netman
09-09-2006, 07:02 PM
You will notice better control with midplus as long as you hit the sweetspot consistently. But that can be a big if at your level. If you are happy and playing well with what you have, why change?

-k-

raiden031
09-10-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm definitely not happy with the way I'm playing. The problem is that I am very quick on my feet, I have powerful groundstrokes, I have at least reasonably developed all of my strokes, yet I keep losing to people who 1) Can't serve, 2) Can't hit a backhand with top spin but only slice, or 3) Can't run.

I noticed that most of my games are lost due to unforced errors; most of which are groundstrokes hit long. So I figured that playing with a more control oriented racquet would help improve my biggest weakness. I'm not worried about losing power because I'm fairly strong and usually I spend more time holding back in order to not hit it out.

Btw, I just ordered a Prince NXG midsize (92") to see how it goes.