PDA

View Full Version : Heh heh, crazy idea, Lights on my racquet??

Mike Danger
09-08-2006, 12:52 PM
dont know how i thought of this, but well... with the amount of lead i add, well.... LED's dont weigh very much, so i could put them on, and a small battery instead of lead....:-)

And i thought it would be even cooler if i could set it up to light only when i hit the ball, just by using a small floating tab that would only complete the circuit when momentum would bring the contacts together.

Would it be illegal to have this?

Say Chi Sin Lo
09-08-2006, 01:17 PM
you're going to bring rice onto the tennis courts now?

kerplunker
09-08-2006, 01:19 PM
its illegal to have batterys or any power source on ur racket i am pretty sure

diredesire
09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Case 6: Can a battery that affects playing characteristics be incorporated into a racquet?

Decision: No. A battery is prohibited because it is an energy source, as are solar cells and other similar devices.

In short, your device is technically illegal, although the battery and circuit you design wouldn't be expressly prohibited because they are not designed to alter play characteristics, although they would alter them considerably.

With that said, I think a 3mm LED inside flexpoint "holes" would be an interesting modification. Probably pretty easy to do, too. Having a designed switch to flip the light on during a stroke would be a little more difficult, and probably add more weight than you'd like, though.

Return_Ace
09-08-2006, 02:15 PM
hmmm

Pimp My Racket !?!?

Mike Danger
09-08-2006, 02:38 PM
yeah just thought it would be kinda neat, but no it woudlnt be that tough to do, infact i could just take it ouf ove severl things ive seen that only go on when they are shaken. but the FP holes! didnt think of that!

kem
09-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Just get a platinum plated racquet and be done with it.

watch_the_ball
09-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Didn't the Head protector have some sort of microchip or piezoelectric device? Is that legal?

couch
09-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Party Poopers.

travlerajm
09-08-2006, 04:59 PM
You know those rubber bouncy balls that have lights embedded inside that only light up when you bounce the ball? It uses the energy created by the rapid acceleration during the bounce. You could get some of those. It would be legal because it wouldn't require any extra energy source. It would only light up when the ball impacts the strings.

diredesire
09-08-2006, 06:06 PM
You know those rubber bouncy balls that have lights embedded inside that only light up when you bounce the ball? It uses the energy created by the rapid acceleration during the bounce. You could get some of those. It would be legal because it wouldn't require any extra energy source. It would only light up when the ball impacts the strings.

Interesting, all light-up bouncy balls i've seen have been battery powered. I'm sure there are pressure sensitive/motion sensitive electronics out there, but to purchase them in small qtys and be able to work with them would probably require more money/skill than you're willing to invest.

Nar57981
09-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Or you could just do it to some random racquet in a small corner of your room, and set it up to play with people that suck or just a friend...or pettition usta to legalize it :-)

retroceso
09-08-2006, 06:33 PM
i like to chrome out my racquet with chrome spraypaint