PDA

View Full Version : Rds 003 :(

Tikiman53
09-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Hey, you guys. I know most of you are going to say something about technique, and I agree with you, but I still feel I should sell my RDS 003 and buy something else. Even if I can't get much from an RDS 003, I can still go to racquet doctor and get a crazy price for something else.

Okay, here's the problem. I'm starting to adopt a fast, windshield wiper forehand stroke, but I just can't get much speed with the RDS. It feels sluggish. Also, I find it hard to generate topspin. I noticed that the other day, a few of my shots were going out, even though I wasn't going for much. I tried using my friends Ti-80, and my shots had more topspin and I could hit harder without worrying too much. I've also read around these forums, and found that others have had trouble generating a lot of spin with this racquet, and felt that it was sluggish.

Do you guys think I should just suck it up, and live for the next few years without getting the spin potential that I desire?

I was thinking about selling my racquet on here for 130 dollars or so, and go get something else from racquet doctor.

Do you guys think that it would be smart to do that? If so, can you recommend some racquets?

I was thinking about the Dunlop M-fil 200 2006. I can get one at Racquet Doctor for 80 dollars I think.

TonyB
09-08-2006, 03:20 PM
I think I'm in the same boat as you. What I've found is that all of my "old" racquets (back in the late 80's, when they were making everything lighter and more head-light) allowed me to develop a pretty fast swing and apply heavy topspin to the ball on my forehand side. Also, my backhand stroke was weak, but the light racquet weight allowed me to pull across the ball and hit it reasonably well.

The newer players' racquets are pretty heavy in comparison -- you can immediately feel the weight difference when you pick up a new racquet. I kept trying to hit my same old style of swing, but was completely unable to get any spin with the new racquets that I tried (I tried the RDS 001, RDX 500, and RDX 300). Because of this, my arm hurt from all the "heavy lifting" with the newer racquets and my strokes just weren't quite there.

So, I discovered a very light racquet today (the Head i.X3) that my friend was playing with and I borrowed it for a few games. I have to say that my game instantly turned around. My "old strokes" were back in form -- every forehand shot had just the right amount of topspin and were moving at a decent pace. My backhand suddenly came to life and the increased racquet speed allowed me to stop hitting balls 5 feet past the baseline. Instead, they landed about 3 feet INSIDE the baseline with good spin and pace.

So, in brief, I think what you're encountering is exactly what I encountered -- the racquet is just a little too heavy for your strokes, which is slowing down your head speed and preventing you from getting the proper amount of spin on the ball.

But I'm a little surprised at your ability to play well with the Ti-80, because the specs are virtually identical to the RDS 003, but in fact, it's HEAVIER than the RDS 003, which would make it more difficult to bring around for heavy topspin.

Personally, I'm going in the opposite direction and finding a lighter, stiffer racquet to suit my style a little better. Yes, I realize a racquet like that is "supposed" to be more work, harder on the arm (tennis elbow), less momentum for blocked shots, yadda yadda yadda. All I know is what happens when I actually PLAY with a racquet. And for me, the lighter, stiffer racquet suits my style much, much more than a higher-mass, momentum-stick that the pros use.

When I get to the 7.0 level and start going on tour, then I'll worry about needing the extra mass to block back 138 MPH serves. But until then, I'll just play with what feels best for me and my game at my lowly 4.0-4.5 level.

TonyB
09-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Another thing that I wanted to add was that my strokes are fairly quick and short and I don't take huge, loopy strokes. If you're using a racquet with a heavy swingweight, it typically requires a longer setup to get the racquet moving.

Even for my forehand, which is sort-of looping, I tend to bring the racquet back, then pause for a second, then bring it forward and over the ball. The higher swingweight really adds a significant amount of torque to my arm from the "pause" until I hit through the ball.

Of course, I'm 5'-6", 140 lb., so that might factor into it, too. My body movement just doesn't have the oomph that a 6'-4", 220 lb. person would carry.

Good luck.

onkystomper
09-08-2006, 03:35 PM
i found that the rds 003 was sluggish for its weight and class. go for the rdx 300 much easier to whip around and create spin. quite cheap now too

watch_the_ball
09-08-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't think you could get $130 for an RDS003, but if you sell it you might want to try:

Wilson ntour two. It's pretty solid and has a 16x19 pattern.

Also, the obvious choice would be an aero pro drive.

You might also try the old Dunlop 300g, I never had problems generating spin with it.

You can also try a poly string in the RDS003.

But spin generation is mostly technique. If you want more spin you have to whip the head of the racquet faster.

bertrevert
09-08-2006, 05:11 PM
But the old 300g has no plow-through. Sure lots of spin but your opponents will get to it because it doesn't hit a heavy ball. Besides in a long match I felt myself putting my shoulder out serving with such a light racquet. I added LOTS of lead to it before giving it up (in singles).

Look the RDS 003 has problems. I added a small amount of lead at 3 and 9 and 10cm up from the buttcap. It's helped. But no I don't think you should stick around with a racquet. You may master it but it may be to the detriment of your game. I'm not sticking with mine. I did demo beforehand but it's just wrong. Chalk it up to experience.

Looking back over time with various racquets I realise you can get used to anything really. But whether it's good for your game. You have to look at your results and who you can and cannot beat. To me that's the true test. It took me two weeks to realise my error.

TonyB makes some good comments. And I agree with you that the 003 is a slug on the windshield wiper... forehand ;)

Keep with the 16x19 pattern. Look for head-light. I'm going for the 001 (after demo) because I want to give the Yonex head-shape a good workout.

You could well prosper with Dunlop? Have you got a full swing? Do you come into the net? Dunlops are great for whippy fast forehand strokers...

Tikiman53
09-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Well, I'm about a 3.5. I have a pretty loopy backswing(I make a circle in my shoulder rotation, in addition to turning my waist a bit). I use a western grip, and sometimes I unconsiously move to a bit more extreme western.

I'm barely 14 years old, and am pretty weak. But I would like a racquet that's at least 10.9 oz. because otherwise, it feels weird and I can't really plow through the ball.

Can you guys recommend some racquets? If I sell my RDS, how much do you think I can make?

How is the Dunlop M-fil 300 and 200 2006's racquet head speed compared to the RDS 003?

I want a racquet that's not too whippy, but whippy enough to get enough spin. Something with an open string pattern, 95-100 sq. inches.

I tried the Aeropro drive and was blown away by the topspin I got from it, but I just want something that feels a little more substancial.

Tikiman53
09-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Do you guys know about any racquets that play similar to the Ti-80 with a bit more power? I liked how it felt whippy enough to brush really quickly, and how racquet head speed came easily, unlike the RDS 003. Also, I'd like something that doesn't kill arms. It doesn't have to be really great for the arm, but as long as it's not dangerous, it's fine.

tennisphotog
09-18-2006, 07:01 PM
I have found the 003 to be a nice stick, one of those racquets that excels at nothing in particular, but is a great all rounder. It has a nice feel in the hands, looks nice, has a nice weight balance, and produces ample spin. Volleys could be more solid, but I have hit drop shots with precision and consistency off short balls. Easy to get spin on serves. Like all Yonexes, I think you need to give this one an extended tryout to get used to it.

armand
09-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Tikiman53: With the way you're describing everything, it sounds like you're liking the Ti-80 more because it's more headlight than the 003. Many players like their racquets to be head light and the more headlight, the better. Maybe you're one of them, you just don't know it yet.

Perhaps try adding weight to the handle or buttcap of your 003 and see how it goes.

bertrevert
09-18-2006, 10:07 PM
I agree with the above advice - give it a bit longer, make it more head light.

I myself went immediately from the 003 to the 001 because that is more inline with the sort of racquet I am used to and have been playing with for years.

I also put more lead on my 003 at buttcap and 10 cms up the handle and it made the world of difference!

oncourt
09-19-2006, 03:42 AM
Just finished about 2 yrs hitting with the rdx 300 which btw is a great racquet
for juniors. I am 14. Demoed the 003 and did not like the way it handled
compared with the rdx 300. Plus the rdx 300 is a good platform racquet for adding weight. Recently demoed the 001 as I need a heavier frame.
Liked it but did not answer all my needs. In general I think that you can say that the yonex's have a tendency to produce flatter shots. After a lot of demoing I have just settled on one the new Technifibre racquets-you might want to give them a go.

dl125
09-19-2006, 04:45 AM
My bro just sold his RDS 003 for (I think) $100. Owned it for a couple weeks. He didn't like it and went to a wilson nblade. His second racquet is the RDX 500 MP. Both of these fit him perfect. The RDS was too tweener and light. Even with lead tape he couldn't enjoy hitting with it. Or maybe it was 27.25 that bugged him?

chess9
09-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Another thing that I wanted to add was that my strokes are fairly quick and short and I don't take huge, loopy strokes. If you're using a racquet with a heavy swingweight, it typically requires a longer setup to get the racquet moving.

Even for my forehand, which is sort-of looping, I tend to bring the racquet back, then pause for a second, then bring it forward and over the ball. The higher swingweight really adds a significant amount of torque to my arm from the "pause" until I hit through the ball.

Of course, I'm 5'-6", 140 lb., so that might factor into it, too. My body movement just doesn't have the oomph that a 6'-4", 220 lb. person would carry.

Good luck.

The top woman at our club uses that racquet. She is 5'0", about 100 lbs. She smacks the crap out of the ball too. :) She just switched from the RDX300 and says it's the best racquet she's ever used. She loves the extra length.

Frankly, I like the racquet, but it's a bit light. I'd have to add about 30 grams to it. The RDS001 90 may be my next racquet. I'm hitting with it again tomorrow. Beautiful feel....

-Robert

a guy
09-19-2006, 04:52 AM
The RDS feels too light to me, like it has no plough through and i'm finding the serves a little weaker than my Pro X-1. I find volleying tough to handle as well but I think im used to the solid kevlar-graphite feel on my other racket.

Tikiman53
09-19-2006, 06:17 AM
I don't think I want to remove the grip. I'm trying to sell my racquet, but if the grip somehow doesn't turn out right, it might lose some customers. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I was thinking about selling the RDS for 90 dollars to anyone that's interested. Going to Racket Doctor, and buying a Ti-80 or RDX 500 MP for 119. I recently tried the RDX 500 MP, and liked it. So I'll have to choose between the two. I think I'll go with the Ti, because people have told me that it's better for serving. Any advice?

Tikiman53
09-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Would you guys recommend the Ti-80 or the RDX 500? I liked both, and had more time to play with the RDX 500 MP. I didn't really have much of a chance to play with the Ti-80. I only had a few hits and a serve with my friend's. But I liked it when I hit with it. I don't really want to make another mistake though...

Can you guys help me out?

ne1410is
09-21-2006, 08:27 PM
hey tikiman

so does raccket docktor have the rdx 500 or rdx 300 in stock?? i thought they sold out and were not getting anymore... they only had the rds 001 and 003 on their website... i am really interested in the 300 so please let me know! i guess i can get my friend to go pick it up for me if that's the case. thank you in advance for letting me know.

ne1410is
09-22-2006, 06:54 PM
bump--TIKIMAAAAN!!! haha

Tikiman53
09-22-2006, 07:25 PM
I just checked today. Sorry, they don't have any more RDX 500s.

ne1410is
09-22-2006, 07:35 PM
or rdx 300's??? aaauuuuuggggghhhhhh! how am i gonna get cheap rackets now?! racckkket doctor you've let me down! BAH!;)

ne1410is
09-22-2006, 07:36 PM
BTW did you notice the prices of any of the other yonex's they had in stock?

Tikiman53
09-22-2006, 07:55 PM
In a little nook, they have some bargain bin rackets, and every now and then they put up a RDX 300 or 500. Today, I saw RQS-11s, RDS 001 Mid and mp, RDS 003, and RD Ti-80, which is the one I got. The RDSs were 140 I think. THe RDS 003 was 129. I forgot how much the RQS was.

ne1410is
09-22-2006, 08:57 PM
thanks--what do you think about the rd ti80? why'd you get that instead of the rds 001?

Tikiman53
09-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Well, when I tried out the RDS 001 MP a while ago, it was pretty good, but I got a bit of pain from it, strangely enough. But I really liked it besides that. Now, the Ti-80 was nice too when I tried out my friend's. But I haven't tried my own just yet. It's getting strung right now.

ne1410is
09-22-2006, 09:30 PM
The Ti-80 didn't give you pain? That sucks, did you try a shock absorber? I just can't stand the paintjobs they have been putting on yonex's lately. They used to have the most beautiful rackets!

ne1410is
09-22-2006, 09:32 PM
i'm tempted to get the ultimum r8 speed 8 just because it looks so sweet!

Lagger
09-29-2006, 10:24 AM
The top woman at our club uses that racquet. She is 5'0", about 100 lbs. She smacks the crap out of the ball too. :) She just switched from the RDX300 and says it's the best racquet she's ever used. She loves the extra length.

Frankly, I like the racquet, but it's a bit light. I'd have to add about 30 grams to it. The RDS001 90 may be my next racquet. I'm hitting with it again tomorrow. Beautiful feel....

-Robert

I agree with you club pro. Frankly, I love the 003. Not sure why it gets so much bad press around here.:confused: This coming from a guy who used to play with a 90" MP-Tour 1. It's hard to believe most everyone can hit lights out with 12oz+, 90"-under frame. Although this seems to be the case. :neutral:

texcoug
09-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Tiki--

I had the same experience with the RDS 003 -- it felt sluggish and hit a flat ball. I have a similar swing (I think) as you. By accident, I demod the Volkl Cat 8 and haven't been able to put it down. Check out the specs. FYI -- I also bought or demod these frames:

03 White
RDS 003
n6-2
Head Radical Team
Pure Control Zylon (similar to Storm)
Volkl Gen II
Pure Drive
03 Red
Diablo Tour MP

There is something about the Cat 8, though. It won't blow you away on serves, it doesn't demolish volleys (like an 03 Red), but it is just solid and it gives you great spin from the baseline (or even no-man's land).

I have had them now for 6 mos. FYI.

Tikiman53
09-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Sorry, but I already got a Ti-80, and I'm loving it. :D