PDA

View Full Version : Prestige caps on an iradical, please give advice

Bobble
09-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I am wanting to put prestige caps on my head iradical mp and was wondering if I should buy the iprestige midplus grommet of the liquidmetal mp grommet to fit the racquet. I have searched all over the forums but have yet to find a real definite answer. thanks for your help.

diredesire
09-08-2006, 10:34 PM
It shouldn't matter. Head is pretty darn good about interchangeable grommets/bumper guards/grommet strips between it's generations of frames. Get which ever one you think looks better/suits your needs. I'd suggest the i.prestige grommets, since they're tapered a little bit, shaving off a tiny bit of weight. With that added mass all around the hoop, i have a feeling you'll definitely be feeling the added swingweight.

dqk
09-09-2006, 05:40 AM
Hello,
One of the greatest things about the i.radical is there is a professional player who actually plays with it and it's not just another paint job. If you care at all about what Andy Murray does with his racquets - he uses the i.prestige mp grommets. This really turns the i.radical into an amazing racquet. Of course a professional player has some different needs in a racquet than any of us, and apparently Andy jams a bunch of lead under the grommets and probably in the grip, but just the addition of the cap grommet alone increases the stability of the otherwise light i.radical. This basically creates a stiffer, more powerful i.prestige. Another benefit is the strings are much better protected from court rash. I am 95% positive the liquidmetal prestige grommets will also fit the i.radical and have been thinking about trying this variation myself, just because I think the liquidmetal prestige grommets look kind of cool. Probably won't make much difference in terms of swing weight compared to the i.prestige grommets which are tapered and give the racquet a nice "finished" feel.

gshaffer23
09-10-2006, 06:38 PM
I had trouble when installing the iPrestige grommets on a iRadical MP. It was tough to get them to "show through" the inner part of the frame. It seemed that the grommets were too short. I tried to string it up, but when it came time to tie off the mains, I couldn't jam the string through because the grommet was not exposed, but was "inside" the frame.

Some have suggested creating a seperate grommet whole for this problem, but when I look at Andy Murray's racquet, the grommets are completely through to the inside of the frame with no trouble.

Perhaps the CAPS I received were poorly manufactured? If anyone has an answer to this problem I would love to know. I have two sets of iPrestige MP CAPS just collecting dust.

snoflewis
09-10-2006, 07:11 PM
im actually thinking about picking up some LM radicals and putting some LM prestige CAPs and a leather grip w/ a ton of lead to make it into a heavier "player" type frame. i've seen a pic of the ti radical w/ CAPs but can anyone post pics of LM radicals w/ CAPs?

diredesire
09-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I had trouble when installing the iPrestige grommets on a iRadical MP. It was tough to get them to "show through" the inner part of the frame. It seemed that the grommets were too short. I tried to string it up, but when it came time to tie off the mains, I couldn't jam the string through because the grommet was not exposed, but was "inside" the frame.

Some have suggested creating a seperate grommet whole for this problem, but when I look at Andy Murray's racquet, the grommets are completely through to the inside of the frame with no trouble.

Perhaps the CAPS I received were poorly manufactured? If anyone has an answer to this problem I would love to know. I have two sets of iPrestige MP CAPS just collecting dust.

How much experience with grommet strips/bumper guard replacement do you have? I noticed that CAP replacements come "open", so they need to be compressed a little bit. I would suggest using an awl to make sure the CAPS peek through better, and also warming up the bumper strips somehow with a hair dryer/heat gun. I've heard boiling strips works well, but i'm not willing to try it ;)

The awl makes the biggest difference for me, I've never had to heat up a bumper strip, but I hear it makes them much, much easier to work with.

gshaffer23
09-10-2006, 08:06 PM
How much experience with grommet strips/bumper guard replacement do you have? I noticed that CAP replacements come "open", so they need to be compressed a little bit. I would suggest using an awl to make sure the CAPS peek through better, and also warming up the bumper strips somehow with a hair dryer/heat gun. I've heard boiling strips works well, but i'm not willing to try it ;)

The awl makes the biggest difference for me, I've never had to heat up a bumper strip, but I hear it makes them much, much easier to work with.

I've only replaced my standard Radical strips a handfull of times... but never did CAPS before. I will take your suggestion on the hair dryer and see if that softens them up. - Thanks diredesire

Anyone else put them on their iRads with success?

10sNut
09-11-2006, 05:50 AM
They do not extend into the inner hoop of the frame very well. I've done it with three and they all barely extend beyond the inner hoop (approx. 1mm vs. the normal 2 or 3 mm). A heat gun probably won't help. sanding the channel that accepts the grommet strip may, but only .25mm, if that. The strings barely contact the frame in a few spots. I have considered sanding the inside of the bumper itself therefore making the grommets slightly longer, but that would take some time.

I have heard that Head made some of the i.rad mp frames for european players and came with cap grommets. Those probably had special caps or a deeper outer grommet channel.

With caps the I.rad is an excellent baseliners frame. With the HH balance it is definitely not geared for net play from my experience. Super for serves also.

Plays similiar to the Mfil 200, but not as powerful.

Richie Rich
09-11-2006, 11:37 AM
if you want the additional weight provided by the CAPS you can do so by adding lead tape. easier than messing around trying to get the CAPS to fit. i did that to my i.rads and they played much better than stock.

altis
09-12-2006, 02:51 AM
I've only replaced my standard Radical strips a handfull of times... but never did CAPS before. I will take your suggestion on the hair dryer and see if that softens them up. - Thanks diredesire

Anyone else put them on their iRads with success?

I managed to install the i.prestige grommets on my i.radical mp. I started from the throat and worked my way up to the top of the frame. I used a pincer (or awl as diredesire suggested) to guide the grommets to the racquet holes. You may hear a 'click' sound when the grommets fit into the holes.

10sNut
09-12-2006, 04:15 AM
Like Richie, but slightly different, I would suggest that you add head guard tape on the outside of a frame from the end of the standard grommets to the point where the I.prestige MP caps would stop.

I did that before I installed the caps to see if I liked it. I didn't measure the weight before and after, but I couldn't tell the difference between the two setups playability-wise.

gshaffer23
09-12-2006, 04:35 AM
I managed to install the i.prestige grommets on my i.radical mp. I started from the throat and worked my way up to the top of the frame. I used a pincer (or awl as diredesire suggested) to guide the grommets to the racquet holes. You may hear a 'click' sound when the grommets fit into the holes.

Thanks altis. I have more of a concern with my strings contacting the frame once I get the grommets installed though. Some of the grommets do not make it all the way through the frame when I have installed them in the past.

I may give it another shot over the winter... right now I am playing too regularly to tinker with the frames.