PDA

View Full Version : Tecnifibre T-Fight 335 18X20: a review

sunmin77
09-09-2006, 09:50 AM
I got my Tecnifibre T-Fight 335 three days ago. It is the 18X20 version. To start off with the look first, this is one beautiful racquet. As many posters have alluded to, the paintjob looks a lot like the Babolat Pure Control. I remember there being a debate about whether this is a box beam or a rounded beam, and I would have to say that it is in between. It does feel somewhat boxy, however. Compared to the T-Fight 325, the headshape of the 335 is more oval, much like the old Prestige Classic Mid. I like that because it makes it feel like the head is closer to the handle. Speaking of handle, I really like what Tecnifibre did with them. The T-Fight 325 used to have the same shape as all Head racquets, very rounded and "oval". However, the grip of the 335 is much more edgy and feels like it is between a Dunlop and Wilson grip. The edges are very distinguishable. Also, the grip size runs true to size. I play with a 4 1/2 with an overgrip and on the 325, the grip felt smaller than other racquets. On the 335, however, the grip feels just right.
I strung up the racquet with Signum Pro Poly Plasma 18 in the mains and Gosen OG Micro 17 in the crosses, both at 66 pounds. With a Volkl round dampener and an overgrip, the static weight of the racquet came out to 359grams or 12 5/8 (12.6)ounces. Just for comparison, the specs on my usual racquets is around 12.75 ounces and between 332 and 335 in swingweight, and about 6-7 points headlight.
The 335's swingweight felt like it was in the mid 320s, which is a little lower than I am used to. Thus, even though the static weight is relatively high, it felt like I was swinging a racquet that was 11.5 ounces. In terms of balance, the racquet felt like it was either 9 or 10 points headlight, a little more than I am used to.
I played indoors with the 335. To give you an idea, I am a 4.5 baseline basher with a strong, flat forehand and primarily a sliced backhand, occasionally hitting the one handed backhand.
In the beginning, the lower swingweight and the head light balance required some time to adjust. However, I was quickly able to find the groove with the racquet. Some might worry that the stiffness rating of 63 might be too much or uncomfortable for them because past Tecnifibre racquets were slightly stiffer than their rating indicated. Let me put those worries to rest. This racquet feels like it is 63 in stiffness. However, when hitting with it, one does not feel that it is stiff at all. I think a lot has to do with the fact that this is one comfortable racquet. I played for about 2.5 hours last night and not once did I feel any discomfort, even on mishits. In terms of the feel of the racquet, I believe that it feels very similar to the Wilson Original Pro Staff 6.0 95. Even though the racquet is extremely comfortable and well dampened, it gives very nice feedback. On every shot, whether it was a slice, flat forehand, or serve, I was able to know as soon as I hit the ball whether it was a good or bad shot. In other words, none of the important "ball feel" that so many purists love is muted out. In terms of the different shots, let me start off with the serve. This racquet, for me, took a little time to adjust on the serve due to its headlight balance. I am used to higher swingweight racquets with less headlight balance, so they are able to plow through much easier, allowing me to hit the serve with less effort. The Tecnifibre required me to put a little more snap on the ball, in order to achieve the same results. Thus, initially, a lot of first serves were hitting the tape of the net. However, once I got used to the way the racquet swings, I was able to hit very effective serves. One thing the 335 did not have as much was weight behind those serves, however.
In terms of groundstrokes, the Tecnifibre felt fantastic. As I mentioned above, the racquet gave me all the feedback that I wanted. Also, what was so surprising was that the racquet did exactly what I wanted it to do. The control is great as well. I was able to hit out on my forehand side without worrying that the ball would sail on me. I may have mentioned this before, but there is no delayed reaction with this racquet. As soon as I hit the ball, I knew where it was going, how I hit it, and whether it was a good or bad shot. I really liked that about this frame. In terms of the power level of this frame, it is by no means a powerful frame. That being said, however, this frame will transfer the power that you put into it. From my rather vast experience with players' frames, I realized that with some racquets, if I put too much power in the shot, the ball would sail. With the T-fight 335, however, the combination of power and control was quite impressive. When I wanted to hit a flat forehand, for example, I not only felt like I could hit all out, but I was actually able to do so as well. This feeling is somewhat difficult to describe in words and must be experienced first-hand. Also, this frame excels at hitting balls on the rise. I like to camp on top of the baseline and take balls early and on the rise. Because I felt like I had all the control in the world, I was able to hit balls that much harder and with that much more confidence.
In terms of volleys, I don't come to the net very often, but the few time that I did, volleys felt very crisp and solid and due to the great feedback, I was able to "feel" exactly where the ball was going.
What I enjoyed most about this racquet were the returns I was able to hit. Because the swingweight is relatively low and the racquet is quite headlight, I was able to swing the racquet much faster than my usual frames. This enabled me to hit reaction returns much quicker and allowed me to put extra pace on the ball.

All in all, the T-Fight 335 is a winner in my book. There was a certain "fun-factor" when I was playing with this frame. I just wanted to keep hitting with it. This is one of the few times I felt that I could hit all out with no fear of the ball sailing. Also, because of the feedback of the frame, I did not have to worry about guessing where the ball was going to go. This is definitely one of the more "clean-hitting" frames I have ever played with. I may end up putting some lead on the upper hoop, just for my serves. However, it plays just fine stock.

Richie Rich
09-10-2006, 05:06 AM
thanks for the review. very thurough.

how did you feel about the length of the 335 vs the 325? maybe that contributed to the serve taking a little longer to dial in with the 335?

i play with the 325 and was looking at the 335 16x20 version. the 325 seems to have more weight behing the serve though. you mentioned maybe adding lead to the 335? do you think that would make the swingweight a little too high?

stevewcosta
09-10-2006, 08:19 AM

how did you feel about the length of the 335 vs the 325? maybe that contributed to the serve taking a little longer to dial in with the 335?

i play with the 325 and was looking at the 335 16x20 version. the 325 seems to have more weight behing the serve though. you mentioned maybe adding lead to the 335? do you think that would make the swingweight a little too high?
Richie Rich -
I bought the 335 16x20 and played w/it for the first time yesterday. I would say the serve is one of its strengths. I still don't think it will replace my 6.0s, so let me know if you want to buy my 335. Thanks.

scosta@transunion.com

Richie Rich
09-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Steve - emailed you at the address in your post.

garbage
08-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Thread resurrection...

Just wondering how the actual flex of the T-Fight 335 compares to the ProStaff 6.0 95?

PackardDell
08-30-2007, 03:00 AM
I demoed the racquet too. Like the racquet. My weak arms could easily handle the heavy unstrung 335 gram. The heavy weight gives a solid and stable feel on forehands.

However it is a bit too heavy for single handed backhands so I decided not to buy it.

The paintjob is rather simple. The cool thing is that the racquet is full of specs and "intructions" for stringers.

Maybe in the future I give it another tray.

08-30-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm lovin' the 16x20 more the more I play with it. Got one out of curiosity 6 months ago based on positive feedback, then got a second a few weeks ago. It's a keeper. Great solid feel, crisp but damp, stable, swings easy, all the pop you need, lots of spin too. I'm a tough sell because my benchmark stick is the Fischer VT98 Pro, but I really love the 335!

iplaybetter
08-30-2007, 09:53 AM
i added some lead at 3, and 9 not much ,and counterweighted it at the on the butcap it was nice but my coach thought it was to heavy so they are back to stock now, but it is crazy to ad lead and not counter weight it the mass is make reasonable by its swing weight so if u mess that up its bad

bad_call
08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
sunmin77 - it's been a while since u posted this review. how do u feel about the racquet now? or have u moved on to another? inquiring minds want to know...

Noveson
08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I felt the same way as you did. But I tend to hit with more spin and liked the 16 mains better. Just a clean feeling spin friendly racquet with amazing control.

sharp*shooter
08-31-2007, 04:23 AM
Nice review. I've got the 320 18*20 and it is just amazing. Soo much control but theres loads of power if you can swing it right. This racket can do AMAZING dropshots as well, I couldn't believe how precisely I could do a backhand dropshot with this racket. Serves are great, and grounstrokes, with the dense string pattern I can flatten out the forehand and slice so low the ball just skids along the court. Very easy to swing as well and totally comfortable.

smittysan89
09-03-2007, 09:26 PM
can anyone compare the 18x20 compared to the 16x20 on the 335/320?

Leelord337
10-18-2007, 10:36 PM

Nothing plays like the tecnifibre 325. Simply an awesome racket!

michael-uk
10-19-2007, 05:18 AM
The specs say that the 325 (flex 59) is significantly more flexible than the 335 and 320. Can anyone who has tried both comment on how this feels when palying please?
All that said, I am not sure that the 325 is still available.

sunmin77
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Wow,

I didn't know anyone was still reading this post.
FYI, the Tecnifibre 335 18x20 is still my main racquet of choice. I just have not found another frame that has the kind of stability and feel that the 335 has. Also, in my opinion, there is no racquet out there which slices better than the 335. I believe the great slicing properties come from the racquet's weight and balance.
For all you players who feel that the racquet is too heavy, I would highly recommend that you play with it for a little before discarding it. The racquet does feel heavy on pick-up. However, when you swing it, the swingweight does not seem to be higher than 330, which is very manageable.

Anyway, post here or e-mail at: sunmin1977@yahoo.com with any questions any of you may have.

JLN
10-19-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm very interested in the 335 16 x 20 version. Does anyone have any long term experience with the frame (either string pattern) as a serve and volley tool?

Blank
12-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Wow,

I didn't know anyone was still reading this post.
FYI, the Tecnifibre 335 18x20 is still my main racquet of choice. I just have not found another frame that has the kind of stability and feel that the 335 has. Also, in my opinion, there is no racquet out there which slices better than the 335. I believe the great slicing properties come from the racquet's weight and balance.
For all you players who feel that the racquet is too heavy, I would highly recommend that you play with it for a little before discarding it. The racquet does feel heavy on pick-up. However, when you swing it, the swingweight does not seem to be higher than 330, which is very manageable.

Anyway, post here or e-mail at: sunmin1977@yahoo.com with any questions any of you may have.

Sorry to bump on the old thread.
But can you tell me whether the sweet spot of the TF335 is more towards the upper hoop or lower near the throat?

Thanks

dan_the_man
12-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi Blank-
I have a 16x20 version of the 335 and I would say the sweet spot is relatively large, and that it is middle to slightly high on the stringbed. However probably due to its weight, it can handle balls struck both high or low on the stringbed and still feel like a 'solid' hit. I would imagine the 18x20 is not quite as big - but perhaps similar in characteristics.
dan_the_man