PDA

View Full Version : Youznhy service illegal???

Ronaldo
09-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Is Youznhy's Texas two-step walk up to the service line before serving illegal?

ShcMad
09-09-2006, 02:04 PM
There was another thread asking the same question. People came to a conclusion that it wasn't illegal. Haas and Safin take small steps with their front foot, also. But, not as much as Youzhny.

alan-n
09-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Absolutely not. Rules state you can not step on the line or into the court while performing your service motion and hitting the ball doing it. That doesn't mean you can't get airborne or take as many steps as you need. It just means your foot can not be on the line or on the court when you racquet face comes in contact with the ball or during your service motion.

VGP
09-09-2006, 02:20 PM
If you want, you can start at the back fence and run up to the line to hit your serve.....just as long as you don't touch or cross the line before you hit.

Come to think of it, you can even jump way into the court and hit the ball in the air before you land.

Perhaps they should bring back the one foot on the ground rule.

Return_Ace
09-09-2006, 02:30 PM
If you want, you can start at the back fence and run up to the line to hit your serve.....just as long as you don't touch or cross the line before you hit.

Don't think that's correct... Isn't it something like you can take steps but can't run etc ?

EDIT: I found the thing i was referring to in the USTA Rulebook:

Foot Fault

During the service motion the server shall not:

a.Change position by walking or running, although slight movements of the feet are permitted.

Tikiman53
09-09-2006, 02:56 PM
"Come to think of it, you can even jump way into the court and hit the ball in the air before you land."

Lol, I want to try that.

sibosobe
09-09-2006, 03:51 PM
I read a while ago in Tennis magazine that Michael Jordan liked playing tennis. I wonder if he could have jumped into the court and made contact on the serve halfway to the service line.

Ronaldo
09-09-2006, 04:41 PM
"Come to think of it, you can even jump way into the court and hit the ball in the air before you land."

Lol, I want to try that.

Had a dubs partner who did just that. Walk up to the line, broadjump into the court, and serve halfway between the baseline and service line. Imagine how complex that is, how much momentum he created, and what happens when his timing is off. Feast or famine brother.

TaintedWisdom
09-09-2006, 04:53 PM
On one of brad gilberts serving videos I seen, he says is illegal to take to many steps, let alone run from the back fence rofl.

drakulie
09-09-2006, 05:41 PM
If it was illegal, don't you think he would be called on it every time he served? DUH!!

xtremerunnerars
09-09-2006, 07:59 PM
The rule is to prevent "volleyball style" serving.

Zets147
09-09-2006, 08:14 PM
now i gotta try the volleyball serve roflmao

dennis1188
09-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Is it a foot fault if you start w/ the back foot on directly behind (not touching) the center mark but during service toss and ball contact backfoot comes across w/ both feet finishing in the 'ad-court' side of the center mark (I usually start my service motion w/ my back towards the net and rotate the body towards the court).
thanks, for yr reply.

VGP
09-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Don't think that's correct... Isn't it something like you can take steps but can't run etc ?

EDIT: I found the thing i was referring to in the USTA Rulebook:

Foot Fault

During the service motion the server shall not:

a.Change position by walking or running, although slight movements of the feet are permitted.

thanks for the info.....

Return_Ace
09-10-2006, 02:06 AM
thanks for the info.....

you're welcome :P

migjam
09-10-2006, 04:45 AM

Correct, you are not allowed to run and serve

equinox
09-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Just watch those videos of TW member kevhen, That's possibly an illegal serve.
Up up and away..super kev. :rolleyes:

Jonny S&V
09-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Dance after you've thrown up the ball, especially disco. It increased my serve's speed 30mph (more like decreased, I've actually done this in a match with a friend and aced him because he was laughing so hard).

Zets147
09-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Dance after you've thrown up the ball, especially disco. It increased my serve's speed 30mph (more like decreased, I've actually done this in a match with a friend and aced him because he was laughing so hard).

You just gave me a very cool idea lol. (Includes a pelvic thrust) haha :mrgreen:

Ronaldo
09-10-2006, 11:00 AM
At least you are staying alive

kevhen
09-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Verkerk walks into his serve as well. I guess repositioning each foot once is allowed as that is what most of these guys are doing and getting away with it. Verkerk would step to the right with his right foot and then his left foot would follow in behind for a two step serve.

My flying serve has no steps in it and a USTA official told me it was legal although she said I was very close to landing back on the court by the time I hit the ball. I do feel that I make contact before I touch back down. My serve is similar to a right-hand layup in basketball. I grew up playing basketball.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=1632365

Ronaldo
09-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Verkerk walks into his serve as well. I guess repositioning each foot once is allowed as that is what most of these guys are doing and getting away with it. Verkerk would step to the right with his right foot and then his left foot would follow in behind for a two step serve.

My flying serve has no steps in it and a USTA official told me it was legal although she said I was very close to landing back on the court by the time I hit the ball. I do feel that I make contact before I touch back down. My serve is similar to a right-hand layup in basketball. I grew up playing basketball.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=1632365

Fully extend your left toss arm and you will add three feet to your leap.