PDA

View Full Version : positive and negatives on the Aero Pro Drive and Aeropro Drive Plus

Tennis Master
09-09-2006, 04:09 PM
i play with a Pure Drive Plus I switched a year and a half ago from the Standard to the Plus and am now thinking about getting a Babolat Aeropro Drive. The problem I ran into was "do i get the plus or standard length". I preffer the plus on the pure drive. So I was wondering of the APD standard plays like the PD standard and if the APD plus plays much like the PD plus. and if they dont what the main differences are between them.

i already hit hard with heavy topspin and dont have any control problems with the PD plus. i have a hard flat first serve and a good kicker for a second serve. my forehand is my best shot and i have a one handed backhand.

so any help or suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks guys.

ivan987
09-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Are you sure you wish to change to the aeropro series, have you tried playing with the new Pure Drive?

Tennis Master
09-11-2006, 01:29 AM
no I havn't

wyutani
09-11-2006, 01:55 AM
why you wanna switch mate'? you got problem wif ur current PD+? anyway, i believe that the plus racquet is solely for short ppl, you know...having a long racquet does help. it depends...are you short?

Tennis Master
09-11-2006, 02:55 AM
im 185cm...thats like 6foot 1"

The Pusher Terminator
09-11-2006, 04:58 AM
I have been battling with a simialr issue for quite some time.

First of all let me just say that if you like the pure drive plus and you want to switch then go for the Aeropro pure drive plus rather than the the standard APD. But, as will be more fully developed later,. I don't really think you should switch at all....except get the updated cortex system!

My problem is that I like the Aeroprodrive plus better on serves and the pure drive plus MUCH better on return of serves.

Therefore to resolve this problem, I use the Aeropro Drive Plus on service games and then switch to the pure Drive plus on return of serve games. Unfortunately though, this gets kind of "busy" in a tiebreak situation.

If however I had to choose one it would definitely be the Pure drive Plus with the updated Cortex system.

The APD plus will give you much more spin on your serves but both racquets are great serving racquets. On the other hand the APD is terrible on return of serves. The APD plus may actually be the worst racquet I have ever played with for return of serves...and they say thats the second most important stroke in tennis! Furthermore the pure drive Plus has been improved with the Cortex system and makes returns much smoother than before . So if you have to choose one raquet then just stay with the PD plus and get the updated cortex system.

Tpro
09-11-2006, 05:03 AM
im 185cm...thats like 6foot 1"

Wow i'm really close to you in height. I am 186 cm. Anyway I use the APD+ and I chose it after demoing the PD+, APD and APD+ for about 2 weeks and getting about 8+ hours on each before making my choice. I didnt really like the APD and I actually prefered the longer rackets. I couldnt serve as well with it and my groundstrokes had less pace than usual. Overall I thought the APD felt more "solid" than the PD+ and had less uncontrolled shots and a more predictable response, but overall there wasnt that great a difference that I would change. If it means anything I am about a 4.5-5.0 on the NTRP rating system (I live in Australia) and string with poly at around 60lbs.

The Pusher Terminator
09-11-2006, 05:59 AM
Just re-read Tennis magazines review of the APD. Although the racquet did win Editors choice They sort of also confirm my findings. The APD is just not a very good racquet on return of serves because of all the vibration and twisting. Heres what Tennis magazine said:

"The racquet [APD] can be jarring when you miss the sweet spot, but then the Aeropro Drive is made for players who are adept at nailing their shots."...tennis magazine

I dont care how good one is ...but when someone smacks a hard serve at you its quite easy to miss the sweet spot!

thatballwas_IN
09-11-2006, 09:59 AM
I have absolutely no problems with instability or returning serves.
It really seems the same as the Pure Drive, which is quite good.

I know a lot of people add a little lead at 3&9 and I probably would too if I faced a Roddick or Moody, but for most club people, stock should be just fine.

Anyway, that tennis magazine review is bogus IMO, it plays great.

(especially with a Poly string at LOW tension... the whole racquet feels like a sweetspot with POWER on serves and CONTROL on groundstrokes)

The Pusher Terminator
09-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Anyway, that tennis magazine review is bogus IMO, it plays great.

The APD got the editors choice award from tennis magazine...do you think thats bogus as well?

the only problem they had at all with the racquet was:

"The racquet [APD] can be jarring when you miss the sweet spot, but then the Aeropro Drive is made for players who are adept at nailing their shots."...tennis magazine

Finally the APD and PD are far from being the same. They are made of different materials , they have completely different stiffness, and they are built very differently.

thatballwas_IN
09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
YES, i think every part of their reviews are bogus!

The Pusher Terminator
09-11-2006, 01:30 PM
YES, i think every part of their reviews are bogus!

But you agree with them that the APD is an awesome racquet...so how can you think that their review is bogus when you both hold the same opinions?

rooski
09-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Most 1H BH players prefer the standard length but obviously choose the length you play with the best. The standard version of the APD and PD volley a lot better than the long versions if that matters to you. You give up a little on the serve as others have said.

Lastly, the APD is just as stable as the PD regardless of what that silly Tennis Mag said.

monologuist
09-11-2006, 01:55 PM
I would not switch to an APD plus or not if you have a 1hhbh...I find that the regular PD is much better for 1hhbh's....there's something about both the balance of the APD (it feels like there is too much weight in the throat) and the shape of the throat that feels awkward for 1hhbh's....of course, this is only my opinion; you should try it out at least to see if you agree....I feel similarly about the PD Cortex...added weight in the throat=worse for 1hhbh's.

I love PD Standards for 1hhbh's, but the plus model is too powerful for me on the bh wing...

The Pusher Terminator
09-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Lastly, the APD is just as stable as the PD regardless of what that silly Tennis Mag said.

Well I do not find the APD very stable at all. Tennis magazine may be silly but I do agree with them on this one point and so do a lot of other people....check out these reviews from TW customers:

Comments: I really like this racquet. It provides a lot of topspin and pace on the ball and it great for volley. I have tried many of the prince, Dunlop, gamma, Babolat racquets and I like this one the best. There is a downfall especially for people who serve faster than 90 mph. You can actually feel the frame of racquet breaking from inside, I think this is reason why Nadal uses the other racquet. This is a good racquet for players between 4.0 to 4.6, people higher that this should use Aeropro Drive.
String type and tension: Prince Lightning XX 17, 58
Headsize: 100 sq.in
NTRP Rating: 4.0

or how about this guy:

Comments: I would not recommend this racquet to any heavy hitters. The racquet actually has a flaw in it. The length of the racquet puts way too much stress on the neck of the racquet and tends to break, particularly on serves. I've received and returned this racquet three times in six months. The playability is great and as a 4.5 player it really allows me better reach and to really get myself on top of the ball, but after I consistently serve over 110mph I can feel the racquet actually breaking. There's a reason why Nadal plays with the regular and not the plus. I personally now play with the regular and love it. Its power is greatly reduced compared to the plus. I still prefer the aero pro to any other racquet, particularly if your a heavy top spin player.
String type and tension: conquest 16, polymono 16 @63

and this guy:

Comments:This racket is good to a point it feels too flimsy. It has alot of topspin like people say, but that is about it. It is arm friendly but the wild shots you get sometimes make you want to quit tennis.
woodside, Ny, 11377 10/05
Luxilion ALU @60lbs

Tennis Master
09-11-2006, 11:50 PM
who here has played with the plus and "feels it breaking from inside"?

The Pusher Terminator
09-12-2006, 08:52 AM
who here has played with the plus and "feels it breaking from inside"?

"Triple B" in his comparison of racquets for TW didnt find the APD plus very stable either:

Stability:

"Babolat AeroPro Drive Plus: I seemed to have the same problem with this racquet as I did with the standard length AeroPro Drive. The thickness of the frame and the lighter weight seemed to lead to a lack of stability when hitting groundstrokes and volleys."...from the TW comparison...triple B

Shall I go on? You now have Tennis magazine and many users all agreeing that the racquet is not stable. Don't get me wrong....I LOVE the APD!!! Its an awesome racquet...but if you play anyone above a 4.5 then this racquet is just not for you. Some of the guys I play with have HUGE serves and this stick feels like its gonna break! If on the other hand someone is hitting a slow second serve then you should easily be able to put it away for a winner with this puppy. It all depends on who your opponents are.,...so choose wisely. But my opinion is to stick with the pure drive plus with the cortex system. The PD is only slightly inferior in the area of spin but MUCH superior in everything else!

monologuist
09-12-2006, 10:31 AM
The APD's high swingweight, stiff and thick beam, combined with Babolat's Woofer system provide an extremely stable hit compared to most racquets. However, it is true that compared to the PD, it does have a smaller sweetspot, and feel slightly less stable outside of the sweetspot, perhaps b/c it is more flexible than the PD, and it is constructed of a slightly different material makeup (it is all graphite, and has no Kevlar like the PD). The sweetspot on the APD I also found to be located a little lower in the stringbed than on the PD, so if you hit the ball high in the stringbed, it will tend to feel a little dead and perhaps unstable.

Tennis Man
09-12-2006, 11:10 AM
From my experience"

some pros:
------------
Great for top spin and slice
Very stable & maneuverable
Nice pop on serve
Good power level

some cons:
----------
too light
too much power
not very comfortable
beam is too thick for my liking

The Pusher Terminator
09-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Comments: This is an okay racket as long as you play the majority of your game on from the ground. It is not possible to hit very fast, flat serves (because the frame flexes too much), and volleys are decent.

String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane @ 55lbs.
Headsize: 100
NTRP Rating: 4.0

The only problem with this racquet is the mis-hits and framing balls. This happens ALL THE TIME mostly on serves. I cant play a set without horribly framing the ball a couple of times on my serves. Other than that, this racquet plays fairly well.
String type: Luxilon Big Banger Timo 1.22
NTRP Rating: 4.5