PDA

View Full Version : Roddick's Racquet

MMkay5
09-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Probably discussed before but I cant find it, is roddick using the Pure Drive Roddick or reg pure drive both with cortex. Or is he using the old pure drive with a paint job

hummer23
09-09-2006, 06:02 PM
pure drive roddick.

vinnier6
09-10-2006, 07:42 AM
in the spirit of pj's, who really knows...

i did notice that his babolat shoes are different than the ones you can buy here...the ones he was wearing at the open had some kind of a velcro strap on them....and no it wasnt his ankle brace either....

Forehand Forever
09-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I saw that strap too. I think it's just something he put on there.

AJK1
09-10-2006, 04:34 PM
I know one thing for sure, his sticks don't have cortex, his racquet tech said so. It's all just more marketing hype.

MMkay5
09-10-2006, 04:36 PM
so its just a paintjob of the old pure drive

vinnier6
09-10-2006, 04:48 PM
ofcourse its a paint job...whos racquet isnt now a days...

Jonnyf
09-11-2006, 01:09 PM
strange Grant Morgan who strung for him at DC says that he does and since the pdr is heavier his new frames had less lead on them

westy
09-11-2006, 01:13 PM
yeh i think hes using th pdr cos thers defin less lead on his rackets now compared to on his old pd's. also hu wudnt use their won signature racket!!! lol

MMkay5
09-11-2006, 02:52 PM
jonnyf, so what racquet does he use

MMkay5
09-19-2006, 06:39 PM
bumpppppage

johnkidd
09-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Maybe his racket is a custom Pure Drive Roddick w/o the Cortex system, which essentially would be a heavier Pure Drive Plus w/ a PDR paintjob.

I'm actually sureprised Babolat wouldn't make this racket since many of us who use a PD+ use lead tape.

Bogie
09-20-2006, 08:04 PM
ofcourse its a paint job...whos racquet isnt now a days...

any o3

Puffdaddy
09-21-2006, 01:30 PM
By the way, I actually do think the cortex system makes a difference in softening the feel of the racquet.

Ronny
09-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Roddick does use the pure drive roddick, but a heavier, leaded up one...the reason you can't see his cortex system is because he overgrips it.

Robbie_1988
09-24-2006, 11:15 PM
I would think it to be funny if in future one of the pros started using the Roddick Pure Drive and beat Andy in a match with his own racket.

My random $0.02

AgassisGoneEndOfAnEra :(
09-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Roddick needs to learn to hit on the run, and he should hire Agassi to teach him the return of serve.

yes he could kick my *** on the court no question, I Like roddick too I just want to see him hit winners on the run, and beat the federer just once...

indianpryd45
09-25-2006, 06:26 PM
is Roddick using the Tournagrip stuff?
that blue grip makes his racquet look tight
To the best of my knowledge, i think it was mentioned somewhere that Roddick uses the PDR-Plus with Cortex, not the PDR with cortex

Grant Morgan
09-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Andy is use the new PD Roddick +. He is useing the the new Pro Hurricane Tour 16g and VS gut 16g. He was 60lbs to 63lbs all week. 3@62 and 3@63 for both his matches. with one on court @ 63 in his first match.

The shooes have a strap added to them but that is about it. I have had a pair that the rep gave me that,i did not use to much and desided to take them with me for the D-Cup trip and i wore them all week. I now relly like them a ton.

MMkay5
11-14-2006, 04:23 PM
is the census still roddick using the Pure Drive Roddick +

WhiteSox05CA
11-14-2006, 07:56 PM
I see him using different strings a lot. Anyone else realize this? Different colors n' such. I've never seen a player switch strings so much.
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

ajaxman
11-15-2006, 04:16 AM
it plays terrible

Nextman916
11-15-2006, 04:44 PM
I believe he pulled out a couple with a rubberband as a dampener as well during the uso! I see him doing this occasionally but it doesnt make sense why he doesnt do it all the time. I remember he took out a racquet with a rubberband then after the changeover he got another one without!! In the same match!! He also plays around with tensions way too much for a guy that plays so many important matches.

ravemaster806
11-15-2006, 05:22 PM
i remember once watching him play on tv and saw the yonex rds butt cap on his racquet

prostaff18
11-16-2006, 08:05 PM
i remember once watching him play on tv and saw the yonex rds butt cap on his racquet

where, when, pics?

Noveson
11-16-2006, 09:16 PM

Might've bought that except for the fact that his racquet doesn't have the Yonex headshape. Maybe the butt cap was for something esle.

Hewittfan22
11-16-2006, 09:34 PM
lol

thats hilarious

Hewittfan22
11-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Why in the earth would roddick have yonex butt cap and whats the differnce between just regular yonex butt cap and yonex rds butt cap, arent they all green?? lol

Rafa's best friend
11-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Why in the earth would roddick have yonex butt cap and whats the differnce between just regular yonex butt cap and yonex rds butt cap, arent they all green?? lol

It is just a butt cap, probably didn't have babolat laying around, and was broken from throwing it so much.

southpaw101
11-17-2006, 10:41 AM
I was told roddicks racket is pretty light actually, if I am wrong whatever, but is the weight distributed in the store model the same as his stick?

milo
11-19-2006, 12:04 AM
yonex buttcap, no way. broken butt cap?? he can use others which i believe he has been given so many rackets by babolat per tourney

Greg Raven
11-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Andy is use the new PD Roddick +. He is useing the the new Pro Hurricane Tour 16g and VS gut 16g. He was 60lbs to 63lbs all week. 3@62 and 3@63 for both his matches. with one on court @ 63 in his first match.

The shooes have a strap added to them but that is about it. I have had a pair that the rep gave me that,i did not use to much and desided to take them with me for the D-Cup trip and i wore them all week. I now relly like them a ton.

Just in case anyone missed this post, Grant used to be Andy's personal stringer, and now is the official stringer for the U.S. Davis Cup team. RSI magazine just named Grant Stringer of the Year for 2006. If he tells you what Andy is using, you don't need to speculate any further: Grant knows.

PrestigeClassic
11-19-2006, 08:40 PM

At that time, did there happen to be a glow stick in your hand?

ravemaster806
11-20-2006, 04:41 PM
i knew no one is going to believe me so just forget what i said, ok?

PrestigeClassic
11-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Sorry for busting your chops. It's certainly believable as Yonex and Babolat butt caps seem similar enough in shape to interchange.

travlerajm
11-21-2006, 01:25 AM
I was told roddicks racket is pretty light actually, if I am wrong whatever, but is the weight distributed in the store model the same as his stick?

The store model is too head light for the pro game. I think it's safe to assume that his racquet is less headlight with a swingweight roughly 20 kg-cm^2 higher than the store model.

MMkay5
01-15-2007, 10:56 AM
with the new year around and the australian open going on, do people believes hes actually using the pure drive roddick plus with pro hurrican tour strings

Bottle Rocket
01-15-2007, 11:07 AM
I get the feeling on this board that nobody reads the previous posts before making their own... Someone who "knows" states some facts. People continue to speculate as if nothing was ever settled.

WhiteSox05CA
01-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Roddick does use the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick. The only difference is that he weights his a little.

luishcorreia
01-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Why doesn't anyone belive players are actually playing with the sitcks advertised?? It seems like a conspiracy theory to me. WHo cares?

jace112
01-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I saw the Roddick specs : 313 g unstrung but I forgot the balance (shame on me, but it was pretty close to 315-320 mm)

2handman
01-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Its all about his new kicks those babalot frames suck.Wilson 4 life playaz

tennismasterscup
01-18-2007, 09:38 PM
I actually have his racquet in handy,he used it in TMC Shanghai 2006,it is no difference comparing with retail ones,however,he puts some lead tape both on the side of the frame and under the grip. but NOTICE,he is NOT using real Cortex,the blue V was painted on it.

Jonnyf
01-19-2007, 10:27 AM
I actually have his racquet in handy,he used it in TMC Shanghai 2006,it is no difference comparing with retail ones,however,he puts some lead tape both on the side of the frame and under the grip. but NOTICE,he is NOT using real Cortex,the blue V was painted on it.

Are you sure, its just his davis cup player has said several times hes changes

tennismasterscup
01-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Are you sure, its just his davis cup player has said several times hes changes

He definately used that racquet for practicing,some guy strung for him.

Jonnyf
01-22-2007, 09:30 AM
He definately used that racquet for practicing,some guy strung for him.

Yip, i messed up that post what i meant was Grant Morgan his dc stringer has confirmed he's using the PDR+ why won't people believe it

kanjii
01-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I see a lot of blue on that racquet being used in Australia, ya sure he's not just playing with it in this tournament? PD+.

Nevermind, just went to Australianopen.com and saw photos...it's the PDR+.

Octavian
04-29-2007, 07:35 AM

really sweet, can u post some pics like of the grip ,lead, etc?

BigGriff
04-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Why don't you type properly, no offence but now i think you're a ******.

lmao! I had trouble reading his post too.

KingOfTennis
04-30-2007, 04:44 AM
doesnt he use the pure drive roddick? and also i believe the pure drive roddick is the evolved version of the normal pure drive but with his specs.

EasternRocks
05-05-2007, 04:27 PM
i got a good glimpse of his racket and i think i saw a paint job. i'll tell more A.S.A.P

Jonnyf
05-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Omg-now it is a conspiricy look Yes certain players do use paintjobs but Roddick isn't one of them who does. Unless he's changing between EVERY davis cup match then reverting back to his cortex for davis cup.Here's an equation

His davis cup stringer SAYING it has cortex + Less lead than before= a Pure Drive Roddick Plus (with cortex) with a custom handle. THERE.!

bigfoot910
05-05-2007, 09:38 PM
In Tennis Magazine (his on the couch issue), Roddick spelled out that he is using the same racquet he did when he first went to babolat (which would be the first generation Pure Drive, I believe he did switch to the woofer system though) just with a paint job and the lead tape added.

ty slothrop
05-06-2007, 10:38 AM
In Tennis Magazine (his on the couch issue), Roddick spelled out that he is using the same racquet he did when he first went to babolat (which would be the first generation Pure Drive, I believe he did switch to the woofer system though) just with a paint job and the lead tape added.

and therein lies the danger in taking something too literally. it just means the same general racket(pd in its various iterations), as opposed to changing from the ps 85 to a wilson gypsy rose.

MMkay5
06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
so grant morgan says he uses the pdr + but then tennis magazine has roddick saying hes been using the pd +...so wat is it which stick is he using

logansc
06-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Here is your answer, he played with the PD+ with a heck of a lot of lead, then they took a PD+ and made it heavier stock, and put Roddick's name on it and now he plays with the PDR+ with a little bit less lead than before. It's not that complicated. It is the same freakin' racquet.

babolatpdtp
08-01-2007, 03:43 PM
It is a paint job. But its not of the last generation. Sounds like he is using the FIRST generation pure drive. He said in an interview that he is using the exact same racquet that he used 7-8 years ago, meaning the first generation version.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Here is your answer, he played with the PD+ with a heck of a lot of lead, then they took a PD+ and made it heavier stock, and put Roddick's name on it and now he plays with the PDR+ with a little bit less lead than before. It's not that complicated. It is the same freakin' racquet.

Yes! Thank you! All this nonsense about whether or not he really uses the PDR+ as opposed to the PD+. . .They're the same racquet!! but with different specs, different specs JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER PRO. Technically, no pro uses the K-Factors or the Pure Storms or the M-Fil 200s, etc. since the specs are different.

tennispro11
08-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Why doesn't anyone belive players are actually playing with the sitcks advertised?? It seems like a conspiracy theory to me. WHo cares?

Man, haven't you seen the pics of the racquets the players are using now? They are totally paintjobs. Look at the Safin and Hewitt threads. I can't believe that the pros would be ok with this, but then again they are getting paid to endorse whatever new bs the racquet companies come up with. LOL! Take a look at what the pros hit with and then look at the racquets the companies are trying to sell to consumers. Tell me there isn't a conspiracy!

TheKingOfClay
08-24-2007, 09:32 PM
does anyone know how Roddick ties his rubberband on his raquet?
thanks...

bwain
08-25-2007, 07:25 AM
i did notice that his babolat shoes are different than the ones you can buy here...the ones he was wearing at the open had some kind of a velcro strap on them....and no it wasnt his ankle brace either....

In the spirit of paintjobs...I bet you they are a paint job of his old reebok shoes.

Servin' Steve
08-27-2007, 07:58 AM
I was curious to know what kind of grip Roddick uses underneath his Tourna
Does he use a leather or Syntec or something else?

jorel
02-08-2008, 12:03 PM

Yes, he is using a PD Roddick plus with the cortex painted on

jace112
02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Yes, he is using a PD Roddick plus with the cortex painted on
he's using a PD+ leaded (specs close to the PD Roddick +)
you're right cortex is just painted on it

Grant Morgan
02-08-2008, 03:01 PM
so grant morgan says he uses the pdr + but then tennis magazine has roddick saying hes been using the pd +...so wat is it which stick is he using

it is the PDR+ the reason it has less lead is because it is heaver of the wall. So it takes less lead to get his W&B. The reason he said it was the same old racquet is because it is from the same mold.

As for the rubber band. OfficeMax size 64. Go under the last cross. And around the 2 middle mains and tie a bow. Then pull the bow through and tie it again. Do that till you get it as tight as you like. It can brake on you so donít pull to hard. AA liked his tide about 2 or 3 times. Flip like his tied like 7 or 8 times. Andy is in the middle

TheKingOfClay
02-08-2008, 06:54 PM
it is the PDR+ the reason it has less lead is because it is heaver of the wall. So it takes less lead to get his W&B. The reason he said it was the same old racquet is because it is from the same mold.

As for the rubber band. OfficeMax size 64. Go under the last cross. And around the 2 middle mains and tie a bow. Then pull the bow through and tie it again. Do that till you get it as tight as you like. It can brake on you so donít pull to hard. AA liked his tide about 2 or 3 times. Flip like his tied like 7 or 8 times. Andy is in the middle

Grant, I am about to try to replicate Roddicks racquet as close as possible...(strings/tension/grip/etc) any help would be great!!!
thanks!!!

Grant Morgan
02-09-2008, 09:17 AM
The string is B pro Hurrcane 16 M and Vs 16 cross @ 66lbs. It is from Memphis last yr. The over grip is Tourna Grip XXL. Yes you can get it from Most pro shops.

cheny89
02-19-2008, 04:04 AM

As for the rubber band. OfficeMax size 64. Go under the last cross. And around the 2 middle mains and tie a bow. Then pull the bow through and tie it again. Do that till you get it as tight as you like. It can brake on you so don’t pull to hard. AA liked his tide about 2 or 3 times. Flip like his tied like 7 or 8 times. Andy is in the middle

Hey Grant

are you saying he is using the pure drive roddick plus that we can buy off the shelf which includes the cortex??

some people are saying its the same racquet you can buy off the shelf but babolat have taken the cortex out??? is this true??? was there a cortex blue plastic "V" in the racquet??

also how many layers of lead does he have on his frame is it 2??

I notice he covers up the silver woofer colour bar with lead exactly, but how many layers is it?

I would appreciate it if you could tell me because I have been able to serve like him for 2 years now but it is not very consistant because I only play 2 times a week because I work fulltime.

It would be to my advantage to have the same specs as Andy roddick does.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edit: I have now already customised my roddick pure drive plus to what I think is roddick's specs

I will post a picture soon and maybe even a video of my serving like him but I have to find someone dumb enough to video me :P

TheKingOfClay
02-19-2008, 07:37 PM
would love to see the pics... also Grant, so up to 66 from 63 that you posted last time, and Pro Hurricane TOUR right... also anyone know of any current tension setups for Roddick???

jorel
02-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Hey Grant

are you saying he is using the pure drive roddick plus that we can buy off the shelf which includes the cortex??

some people are saying its the same racquet you can buy off the shelf but babolat have taken the cortex out??? is this true??? was there a cortex blue plastic "V" in the racquet??

also how many layers of lead does he have on his frame is it 2??

I notice he covers up the silver woofer colour bar with lead exactly, but how many layers is it?

I would appreciate it if you could tell me because I have been able to serve like him for 2 years now but it is not very consistant because I only play 2 times a week because I work fulltime.

It would be to my advantage to have the same specs as Andy roddick does.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edit: I have now already customised my roddick pure drive plus to what I think is roddick's specs

I will post a picture soon and maybe even a video of my serving like him but I have to find someone dumb enough to video me :P

if your in ny any time... ill show you that its painted

quest01
02-20-2008, 08:15 AM
How heavy is Roddick's racket in ounces?

cheny89
02-20-2008, 08:30 PM
if your in ny any time... ill show you that its painted

do you have his racquet???? can you post pics then! in this thread

DashaandSafin
02-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Soo what are his exact specs?

jorel
02-24-2008, 05:24 PM
do you have his racquet???? can you post pics then! in this thread

pics cant be taken,,, cant really say more cuz certain people would get in trouble and i would rather not put them through that

_mats_
02-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Hey Grant

Jeff

would LOVE to see that :) please please

toP SPin GEEk
02-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Just a little comment on PDR +, I used it today for a demo, I would have to say it performed much better than the Aeropro. The feel of it is much smoother and I can put more spin on the ball. A definite awesome raquet in my eyes... :D