PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum foil tape as a substitute for lead?

FD3S
09-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Question; could I just add on more aluminum tape (ie; double layers) to make up for the lack of weight?

TaintedWisdom
09-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm just going to answer this one by showing you the atomic mass of each...

Aluminum: 26.98 Amu
Lead:207.2 Amu

Now you do the math... (no where near as lead, it would take more than 7 1/2 times the amount of Al to make 1 Pb foil) and to add a considerable amount of Al foil would mean a pretty thick stack which would affect how the racquet perform)

FD3S
09-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Damn. Thanks a lot, though.

TaintedWisdom
09-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Yeah lead is basicly the heaviest thing you can add to to something and is pliable. There stuff out there a bit more heavy but they not metals, they cant be made into foils, and/or were only done in a lab for a few seconds hehe.

Gold and platinum foils while more expensive are still lighter than lead :)

couch
09-09-2006, 06:19 PM

Now you do the math... (no where near as lead, it would take more than 7 1/2 times the amount of Al to make 1 Pb foil) and to add a considerable amount of Al foil would mean a pretty thick stack which would affect how the racquet perform)

I think you just blew his mind with all that atomic mass stuff.

TaintedWisdom
09-09-2006, 06:20 PM
naaa come on you dont need to know how much an AMU is to realize a bigger AMU means is heavier ;)

diredesire
09-09-2006, 06:49 PM
A good tip i've heard as a "substitute" for lead tape is using magnetic strips, easily found at Home Depot, etc. Sort of like the peel-away magnets people put on refrigerators.

FD3S
09-09-2006, 10:22 PM
I asked for those, but no one there knew that the hell I was talking about... would they have a technical name? Like 'magnetic foil tape' or something? And how much does it weigh compared to lead?

diredesire
09-09-2006, 11:42 PM
I asked for those, but no one there knew that the hell I was talking about... would they have a technical name? Like 'magnetic foil tape' or something? And how much does it weigh compared to lead?

I don't know about a "technical" name. I remember seeing that stuff at the HD, though. I'd just ask for "magnet strips with adhesive backing"

Compared to lead, it's probably much lighter/less dense in the same volume, but the strips are much thicker than lead, so square inch for square inch it's probably heavier.

couch
09-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Why not just use lead?

FD3S
09-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Because I'm trying to find a roll/package of it (all the places near me sell it by the foot) and I thought a hardware store might be a good good bet. Ah well... off to Rackets and Runners, then :)

diredesire
09-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Because I'm trying to find a roll/package of it (all the places near me sell it by the foot) and I thought a hardware store might be a good good bet. Ah well... off to Rackets and Runners, then :)

Also, check golf specialty stores near you, they also use lead tape for customization.

FD3S
09-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Tried that too... all they've got is lead weights w/ adhesive on them...

travlerajm
09-13-2006, 06:23 PM

Actually, the specific gravity of rolled lead is about 11.5.
The specific gravity of aluminum is 2.64.

So you would need 4 times the thickness of aluminum foil to equal the mass of lead if the area is the same.

travlerajm
09-13-2006, 06:24 PM
To find cheap lead tape, you can usually find it on e-bay for cheap.

vinnier6
09-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Why not just use lead?

thank you...i was banging my head thinking the same thing....