PDA

View Full Version : How Long?

Big Fed
09-09-2006, 05:45 PM
How long does it take you to kinda lose your strokes? And how long does it take you to get them back?

Bagumbawalla
09-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Someone can say to you something like, "You're hitting really well, today, are you doing something different?" The moment you start thinking about it, everything can start going off.

The more self-confidence you have in your game, the more you practice, simplify and groove your strokes, the less this is likely to happen.

But, maybe you meant-- how much time can you take off without damaging your game. It's a bit like riding a bicycle. You don't really forget.

I quit and didn't play at all for 12 years. Started playing again-- the strokes were still there. What I had to work on was endurance and conditioning. The serve took the most time to regain. After six months, I was playing tournaments again at the 4.5 level (and doing well). Mainly what I lost was my youth.

On a more short-term basis, taking time off, changing your grip(s), not getting enough rest, playing someone who gives you no pace, trying to over-hit/over-play points, lack of concentration, being tired/bored from playing too much, having things on your mind (any kind of distraction), over thinking your game,-- these are just some things that come to mind that can throw you off your normal game and cause you to "lose your strokes". In this case they usually come back as as mysteriously as they go away. Practice, concentration, correct form, footwork, anticipation, are some keys to playing through these bad streaks.