PDA

View Full Version : Prince O ports

babar
09-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Anyone out there use a Prince O ports racquet with a poly string? I was wondering if using a poly in the O ports racquet would help to soften the stringbed and provide a little more lively feel to poly strings.

Thanks for any advice.

kchau
09-09-2006, 08:53 PM
liveliness is really based alot on the string. poly's arent lively much, so that feeling wont change, but yes, the o-ports will enhance the sweet spot and make it a bit more softer feeling, but that's just the racquet it self and it does that on every string.

snoflewis
09-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Anyone out there use a Prince O ports racquet with a poly string? I was wondering if using a poly in the O ports racquet would help to soften the stringbed and provide a little more lively feel to poly strings.

Thanks for any advice.

personally, i think the wording of your question might throw people off. if i read it correctly, you're asking whether or not poly in 03 rackets will feel livelier than poly in other traditional rackets. the answer would be yes, since the strings would move more and be more forgiving, however, i found 03 rackets to lack in feel, so i would think that if you added poly to an 03 racket, there would be even less feel.

squints
09-09-2006, 09:37 PM
i have an o3 tour with polys on them. and yes the o ports do make it alot easier on your arm. but as for feel they feel like regular strings. i dont see much of a difference on the o3 between strings. but maybe because it has o ports all around.

babar
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the input to all. Sorry if my original wording was not very precise. I want to maintain the spin-friendly feel of using poly strings but add a more comfortable stringbed feel. I use a Head LM Instinct and was thinking of trying a Prince Hybrid Shark using my Gosen Polylon 17g string at 57lbs. I am hoping that the O ports will help to keep the spin-friendly feel of the polys and add a more cushioned stringbed feel due to the O ports. Thanks again.

thbat
09-12-2006, 10:28 AM
My Hybrid Shark is strung with SPPP mains/Sensation crosses. Because the Os are only at the 6 & 12, it does have more feel than a full O racquet. I have tried quite a bit of strings combo (all multi, all synthetic gut, all poly) and found my current hybrid set up best for me. Too much string movement for an all multi and all synthetic gut, a little too stiff for an all poly setup (might be OK for a full O racquet).

Ripper
09-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the input to all. Sorry if my original wording was not very precise. I want to maintain the spin-friendly feel of using poly strings but add a more comfortable stringbed feel. I use a Head LM Instinct and was thinking of trying a Prince Hybrid Shark using my Gosen Polylon 17g string at 57lbs. I am hoping that the O ports will help to keep the spin-friendly feel of the polys and add a more cushioned stringbed feel due to the O ports. Thanks again.

You could, also, use an OS raquet, like the OS POG or OS Rad.

babar
09-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the input thbat and Ripper. I have a sore shoulder issue which I don't want to push by using a heavier racquet on serves like the POG OS. I did like the iRad OS, but I have trouble with my 1-handed BH using an OS. The 100 sq. in. seems to work well for me.

I had not thought of using a hybrid string set-up. Would that hinder the inherent spin production of the poly strings?

jonolau
09-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the input thbat and Ripper. I have a sore shoulder issue which I don't want to push by using a heavier racquet on serves like the POG OS. I did like the iRad OS, but I have trouble with my 1-handed BH using an OS. The 100 sq. in. seems to work well for me.

I had not thought of using a hybrid string set-up. Would that hinder the inherent spin production of the poly strings?
To be honest with you, the biggest proportion of spin would come from technique. Polys are inherently stiff strings, therefore even when it is at the same tension as syn guts/multis/gut, it will give the player the "stiff feeling" thus giving the impression that it will bite into the ball much better.

A hybrid setup would definitely aid in the comfort department.

thbat
09-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Comparing hybrid to all poly set up, I did not notice much, if any, difference in spin. Most of the 'work' on the strings are done by the mains anyway. For my case, the gain in comfort from the hybrid setup far outweighs any little loss in potential spin, especially with a sore shoulder. And I totally agree with JONOLAU, spin is mostly technique than any thing else.

diredesire
09-13-2006, 11:35 AM
You should also consider the fact that if you are using a full poly job, they tend to "dent" and "bend" into a locking grid pattern. This would probably negate 50% of the benefits of the O port "technology," if not more.