PDA

View Full Version : PK Redondo Players

UpTheT
09-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Just wondering if you guys are still having problems with your backand slices floating?

MTChong
09-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Not at all, my slices are great with this racquet

anirut
09-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Not "all the time". For me, when my BH slices floats, it's bad prep. Most of the time when my slices get too low, they hit the net band ... too low, just a tad ... gotta adjust a little more.

basil J
09-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Since i added lead tape to the hoop they have gotten better. I have to be very deliberate with the slice to hit it right.

thejuice
09-10-2006, 07:14 AM
I notice the same thing as Anirut. When I prepare properly I am able to hit a great low slice but sometimes I can hit it too low (this is since I've added about 4 inches of lead at 3 & 9).

stules
09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Basil J and Anirut
My Redondo arrived.
Just finished customising
Old specs.........(TW's not sure of accuracy)
343gm
324 SW
10 pts HL

New improved specs.....
358 gm (actual weight from scales)
340 SW (adjusted using the online SW calculator)
8 pts HL (on the money with the ATP formula from Travlerjm)

It took a bit of a juggle.
4.5gm at 3 and 9 oclock (9 total)
24gm inside the handle (its hollow, just take off the buttcap). Removed the leather grip (losing 18gm net) and put on an overgrip only (I like the feel of the sharper edge bevels for reference).

Had a few hits with it now, and I am starting to get the feel for it. Very smooth after my N6.1.95. I am determined to stay with the higher SW and total weight until I can really make an informed opinion. Its too easy to say its different, which it is, but takes a little more time to truly evaluate all the shots and see if it is better for 'my' game.

What is the current setup that you chaps are using?
Regards Stuart

anirut
09-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Congrats, Stules on your Redondo!

My Super Redondo setup:

- Changed the leather to synthetic replacement grip, add an overgrip.
- 3 g of lead in the hoop at 17.5 cm, (center of mass) from racket tip, on both sides of frame.
- 10 grams in handle at 7 cm (center of mass) from butt end.
- 3+ grams of foam inside the entire racket.
- 14 grams of 17G Synthetic strings
- Balance at 11 pts. HL.
- Now weights 366.5 grams.

The leads use are not lead tape. I use wheel alignment leads and hammered them flat.

Great stuff for MY style of play.

basil J
09-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the Redondo Club..
I changed the leather grip to a wilson max dry replacement grip.
Use wilson over grip.
Klip kboom in the mains @ 61#, Klip excellerator in the crosses @ 63#.
3 " strips of lead taper at 3:00 & 9:00.
I think moving forward I will go with straight multi or gut.
the poly takes away a lot of the great feel that this frame offers.

splitstep
09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I've strung my Redondo with X1-biphase at 60lbs. 4" of lead tape at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. I swapped out the leather grip for a gamma synthetic grip; the leather was nice, but I prefer the added damping from the syn grip.

Getting back to the original question, I've resolved most of my issues with the backhand slice. Early racket prep helps, but I think the biggest adjustment was getting used to how the ball felt off the racket on the slice. It was more a question of adapting to the different feedback I got from the racket.

MTChong
09-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the Redondo Club..
I changed the leather grip to a wilson max dry replacement grip.
Use wilson over grip.
Klip kboom in the mains @ 61#, Klip excellerator in the crosses @ 63#.
3 " strips of lead taper at 3:00 & 9:00.
I think moving forward I will go with straight multi or gut.
the poly takes away a lot of the great feel that this frame offers.

Hey basil J, I read that you use Klip K-Boom - can you offer any comparisons against RedCode in terms of softness? I found that when I used 17g RedCode in a hybrid with Head PPS, my elbow still felt tender and ached dully after a hitting session - but at the same time, I really want the benefits of a very thin gauge such as 18g which would break way too quickly for me, unless a poly; K-Boom caught my eye and I actually have a set of 18g, but I am hesitant to try it out.

basil J
09-12-2006, 04:29 AM
Kboom is the softest poly I have used to date. I have tried BB alu Power, Klip hardcore, babolat Hurricane and Kboom is the softest IMO.In a soft frame like this you would think that a stiff string would give you more pop, but I have found the opposite, it takes away feel. Yeah, I can get some crazy spin and my slice is actually coming along nicely now with this frame, but this is a low powered frame and I like the way mulit pockets the ball where the poly is like a solid wall and keeps the power level low.

newnuse
09-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Had some problems with my 1 handed backhand slice floating... First I thought it was because I was watching too many Roddick matches

After playing with my Redondo for awhile, here is what I figured out.
Was hitting down to much with the Redondo... generating a little too much spin ... I got more spin out of the Redondo than my PS85" due to the faster racket speed

Also was hitting my slice a little too softly. The Redondo performs best when you hit the ball harder. Now, I swing a little harder on my slices, drive through the ball a little more instead of chopping down on it

BreakPoint
09-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Had some problems with my 1 handed backhand slice floating... First I thought it was because I was watching too many Roddick matches

Ha ha ha LOL :lol: That's what I also tell myself everytime I miss an easy sitter volley. ;) LOL

vkartikv
09-12-2006, 10:29 AM

After playing with my Redondo for awhile, here is what I figured out.
Was hitting down to much with the Redondo... generating a little too much spin ... I got more spin out of the Redondo than my PS85" due to the faster racket speed

Also was hitting my slice a little too softly. The Redondo performs best when you hit the ball harder. Now, I swing a little harder on my slices, drive through the ball a little more instead of chopping down on it

I too use both the 85 and redondo. It took a while to get used to the redondo - a little more powerful and slices were going a lot deeper than planned on chip& charge attempts. But its normal, it takes time to adjust to a new racquet..

newnuse
09-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Ha ha ha LOL :lol: That's what I also tell myself everytime I miss an easy sitter volley. ;) LOL

Now that I think about it.... my volleys also took a big hit immediately after switching to the Redondo...... damn you Roddick