PDA

View Full Version : Fending Off Heavy Topspin

Nexus
09-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Being a high school student, and striving for this year's first singles when the season rolls around in February, I have a few concerns with my performance and a few concerns with how to defeat my other team mates that also want the spot.

First, my general rule is that I play/practice my shots every day that isn't raining and every day that I have someone willing to go to the courts and hit with me, critique my shots, etc.

One of the people I play on the weekends is a friend of mine that tends to hit with a lot of heavy topspin, and I typically feel as though he's doing a decent job of keeping me back behind the baseline and not allowing me to be as aggressive as I want to be. So, how do I take away some of his spin, or keep him from being able to hit these shots that take me off balance or send me back?

Basically, he plays a defensive game because my harder shots keep him at bay, but in return, he's able to keep me at bay and give himself more time because of his high, somewhat loopy topspin shots that take a while to get from his side of the court to mine. I know I need paitience, and I use it in order to beat him, but I'm not very talented with taking the ball on the rise because I tend to over hit it. (Yes, I like to hit hard.)

Basically, I'm asking for some advice that will help me put some distance between the numbers I win by. Instead of 7-5 or 6-4, is it possible for me to alter my game enough to change the scores to 6-3 to 6-0 range?

Also, what are the common skill levels for varsity high school players?
What types of rackets should they use?
What head sizes?
Or does that all depend on the type of player? (meaning there are no general rules for a player to go by.)

Racket I currently use: Hyper Hammer 6.3 Midplus (95) with Big Banger Timo strings. (And No, I don't mis-hit with it very often)

Nexus
09-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention/ask.

I'm basically looking for some advice other than utilize your footwork to position yourself around the ball, let it drop into your hitting zone, then hit agressively back, or with placement that's going to give him less time to prepare.

I guess he takes away from my pace and rhythm. It takes his ball twice as long to get over to me. Um... I don't know. I'll quit saying stuff until I get some responses. That way I can answer questions as they come.

DragonFly
09-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I would try to slow down the game, and hit low flat or slice shots. People who tend to hit like your friend might not like low balls, especially if they use a western grip. Sow down the game, and try to force a short ball from him, so you can put it away. The short ball gives you more options, and more angles.

How is his net game? If it isn't very good, try to hit dropshots or such, to get him to make errors.

Nexus
09-09-2006, 11:26 PM
His net game usually isn't very astonishing. hitting a hard ball at him usually messes him up. Passing him isn't impossible. And you're correct. He isn't fond of short/low balls.

I like fast pace games as long as I'm in control. Keeps him off balance, I believe. According to my coach, he's at the point where he thinks he's better than he is, so he gets mad at himself when he messes up a shot, or I hit a winner and he can't get to it. His mental intregrity needs some work, but at the same time, I find a weakness in myself when he gets mad sometimes. I tend to feel sorry for him when he gets mad. I suppose I need to quit that and not pull my punches and just end the game.

I think it's one of those pride things. I don't want to beat him at his worst. It doesn't mean much that way. Any advice there?

DragonFly
09-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Beating someon at their worst may not do you any good. But if you really think about it, it'll push them to do their best next time, and if you beat them then, then you did a good job. He's your hitting partner, hep him get better. If you hold back, and he wins, then you aren't doing him any favors, that may contribute to his slight overconfidence.

In turn, when your partner gets better, it'll push you to do better.