PDA

View Full Version : 1hbh or 2hbh

nadalito92
09-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Actually im using a 2hbh but today i was hitting either a lob or barely clearing the net, after that my dad was like looking at me and i was like, what? he said "would you like to switch to a 1hbh?" i was thinking about it before buti wasnt sure, i hit with a western forehand so i think it will be easier to go to a eastern backhand, just wanted some opinions, thx

Nexus
09-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Well, everyone has their off days. I believe it's a good idea to have as many shots as possible under your belt.

I try using both shots myself. I found my two-hander has more power and spin, and the one hander is something I use when I have more time, am willing to take a chance on, or want to hit a decent angle.

It's really all in the footwork and your ability to prepare for the shot you are about to take. Simply put: split-step, turn, watch the ball. Ask yourself how your footwork was for the day? Were you hitting the ball in your hitting zone? Just basic stuff like that. BUT, changing to a different shot may change your game for better or for worse. Learning a new shot takes time. Fixing a bad habit on an existing shot takes focus. Which one are you willing to do?

Or do you already have the one-hander under your belt, and just don't use it?

nadalito92
09-09-2006, 11:36 PM
nope, i have an idea on the stroke, but i dont really use it, today was kinda bad, not really hitting in the hitting zone, but yesterday i was, but the backhand (2h) was still bad, like framing a lot or just leaving it at the net, i do watch the ball i dont know why i hit with the frame

Nexus
09-09-2006, 11:50 PM
When all else fails, go back to just trying to hit balls over the net by yourself, or have people hit you easy backhands. I've gotten out of control before on my backhands, given the amount of stress/pressure/fatigue I'm under on and off the court. Perhaps lower your expectations of yourself for a while. Did you ever have a consistent/powerful backhand?

I've had to stop a few times and just take some time and get my shot back under control. Really, it's your choice. In my opinion, a strong one handed backhand is pretty, and somewhat intimidating if you're on the receiving end of it. A two hander requires just as much preparation, but harder to hit on the run.

So, if you're a little slower, you might want to try the one hander. If you're weaker, the one hander won't be as effective. It also takes more precision to hit the one hander. You have to have a steady arm, and quick speed.

On the other hand, the traditional two hander is reliable, and not for a lazier person. Well, each one causes you to set up differently.

Either way, get a few more opinions other than my own.

nadalito92
09-10-2006, 12:04 AM
yes i had a consistent/powerful backhand, i guess im doing something wrong, ill do what you are saying, ill ask my teacer to throw me some backhands, if i just cant hit a good 2hbh ill try the 1hbh.

Bagumbawalla
09-12-2006, 03:05 PM
There are advantages and disadvantages to both styles of backhand. Why not choose both.

Rather than going completely over to the "other side" try taking your backhand back with both hands, as usual, then release the non-dominant hand and swing out one-handed.

It is an intermediate step that may help you decide if you want to get rid of the second hand completely.

nadalito92
09-12-2006, 04:51 PM
today i was hitting really decent 1h backhands, i think im going to switch i still need to improve thou but still it was really good for the 2nd day trying it