PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons to Midsize Rackets?

Nexus
09-09-2006, 10:09 PM
I can't stand oversize rackets. I feel too clumsy with them, so I either threw them up on my wall, or sold them to fellow teammates that wanted them.

I'm now using a Hyper Hammer 6.3 Midplus racket. I've been using it since March or April, and on a near-daily-basis.

I feel as though I've gotten stronger, and am capable of generating my own power, so the head-heavy racket just isn't cutting it anymore.

Soooo, I saved up and purchased the Wilson nSix-One Tour 90 nCodez Racket. It'll be here Tuesday, I hope.

I read the reviews, and it sounded like it was spin friendly, but lacked power. Anyway, my question is:

is this racket going to take away from my game, or help me evolve my game make me focus more?

Are midsize rackets good or bad, overall? Or again, does it just depend on the player weilding the racket?

Davai
09-09-2006, 10:50 PM
First comes the action and then the thought, right?

Midsize frames are nice. It mostly depends on the frame. I can pick up a JK Staff 85 and have my backhands rolling or have my main rackets and try to figure why I can't get my backhand going. Obviously The N90 and the 6.3 are completely different rackets. Needless to say it's going to take a long time to get used to your new racket - just don't give up. I tried it two times for about 5 minutes each time. I didn't find the racket to be amazing, I prefer my main rackets.

hoosierbr
09-09-2006, 11:11 PM
You're going to start a war here between the Mid folks and the MP/OS folks...beware!

All I'll say is mids are great racquets if they suit your style of play. If they don't then you'll likely find them too heavy, too under-powered, etc.

The NCode 90 is a nice racquet but for me it was too heavy and had the smallest sweetspot I've ever come across. Good luck with it!

Just let me add that's it's important to filter out facts from opinion. Most folks here try to give feedback based on their experience with frames, be it mids or mp's or OS. But there are some who attack each other because they don't agree. Try and ignore that stuff and remember that despite what some say Mid's aren't obsolete and inferior to MP's or OS. Not true. Best that you find these things out for yourself though.

chess9
09-09-2006, 11:21 PM
I don't care for oversize racquets either. Nor do I care for racquets under about 12 oz. But, that's me. I was raised on 14-15 oz wooden racquets, so these 12-13 oz racquets are just fine from my perspective. Most of this is personal preference and swing style, though I think for volleys a heavier racquet is much better.

I have two of the nCode 90 racquets to try and have been testing them with different strings. I'm not sure they are for me. I prefer the P.S. 6.0 85 to the nCode and the ROK (leaded up) to the nCode.

Good luck finding the racquet you love.

-Robert

Nexus
09-09-2006, 11:32 PM
True. I'll make sure that before taking information to heart, I'll make some sort of logical judgement on what is being said and why.

Anyway, I wanted to get the NCode 90 because my brother in law gave me a really old racket. I may be exagerating somewhat, but the racket is a Dunlop Black Max racket with a Graphite/Glass composition (That's what it says on the top of the frame). I loved the spin I was generating with it, and didn't mind it's weight. My assistant coach decided to give it the nickname "The Club" due to it's weight. I liked the lack of head-heavyness and I sometimes use the racket if I feel as though I've gotten sloppy on a shot or two. It makes me focus, I believe. I will admit that it took the edge off of my serves, and I'm not sure that the increased spin was worth the lack of power. In any case, I highly doubt there will be many similarities between the Black Max and the NCode 90.

Nexus
09-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Oh, Chess9/Robert: From my personal experience, the Big Banger Ace lasted me about two weeks compared to the Big Banger Timo, which I still haven't broken. Tuesday will be the Month-old milestone for them. The Ace could get expensive for me, and I believe the Timo have a better feel and durability, especially since I hit around 5+ times a week for a couple hours a day.

Next on my test list are the Big Banger Alu Strings. I assume they'll last a while.

anirut
09-10-2006, 03:26 AM
Nexus,

The BlackMax and the nCode 90 are certainly different. The Max is flexy, very flexy, while the nCode 90 is stiff, much stiffer.

If you what something new that has somewhat of the Max's characteristics, look for rackets that are 93 and below in headsize with a flex of lower than 60.

My 0.02