PDA

View Full Version : what is this guy doing wrong

looseswing
09-10-2006, 07:13 AM
I saw this video on youtube and noticed that from contact onwards this guys forehand resembles mine. I would post mine but I dont have the equipment. What can he do better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEh8SL73OXA

Jonny S&V
09-10-2006, 08:09 AM
The guy needs to loosin up "A LOT." It's an okay stroke but by the way I'm seeing it, he's not getting the most potentiel (sp?) spin and power. If he just loosined up just the tiniest bit, it would improve drastically.

LuckyR
09-10-2006, 09:32 AM
When the ball is in his wheelhouse, his stroke is fine, even superior. However his court sense (he got caught with some deep and short balls) is poor or perhaps he was a bit lazy with his footwork. In anycase he looks like he has taken some good lessons but hasn't incorporated all of the information into his game yet.

AngeloDS
09-10-2006, 09:37 AM
The guy is actually from this forum; not sure where his post is but there's a few things. Such as the stance, semi-open; don't use a fully closed stance. Better footwork too.

The stroke itself is decent and fine (it just needs to be a lot faster by using the rest of the body to allow the body to whip it around), everything else around it needs work.

Bagumbawalla
09-10-2006, 11:29 AM
To me it looks like he is setting up in a closed position stance, but pulling the racket across his chest in an open stance sort of follow-through. I think he could benefit from using one style or the other and not mixing the two (although I see lots of players hitting like this and maybe it works for them).

He could benefit by taking smaller steps to get into better position. In some strokes he seems to take too big a step into the shot.

I would suggert that he keep doing what he is doing. Eventually, things will begin to gel for him. He will begin to feel when he hits with the most power and least effort. Gradually, he will modify his form, find his timing, footwork, and so on. At this point, it's just a matter of fine tuning.

migjam
09-10-2006, 04:44 PM
On his take back, it looks like he is pretty wristy.

Steven87
09-10-2006, 05:03 PM
His wrist is not natural...

Say Chi Sin Lo
09-10-2006, 05:04 PM
his forehand looks like baby-Agassi's (the tribute commerical from USTA) :)

I think there is too much internal shoulder rotation, though every once in a while, he brings the racquet across the body quite nice.

looseswing
09-10-2006, 06:59 PM
his forehand looks like baby-Agassi's (the tribute commerical from USTA) :)

I think there is too much internal shoulder rotation, though every once in a while, he brings the racquet across the body quite nice.

Two Questions:
What do you mean by internal shoulder rotation and what are some tips to quiet the wrist?

Say Chi Sin Lo
09-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Place your fist in front of you, while keeping your arm completely straight, and having your thumb up.

Now rotate your arm so that your thumb is rotating towards your body.

migjam
09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
To me, if I were standing in front of him while he was taking his racquet back, I bet that I would see his stringbed. He needs to take the racquet back without showing the stringbed. There is too much wrist in his take back.