PDA

View Full Version : short backswing

redtennis55
09-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Any methods to help shorten the backswing? Mine is way too big and no matter what I try I always end up having a big backswing. This is for righty forehand.

Jonny S&V
09-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Straight back, no loop. You would have to post a video for me to tell you for sure.

JordanR
09-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Any methods to help shorten the backswing? Mine is way too big and no matter what I try I always end up having a big backswing. This is for righty forehand.

You're not trying, or you're losing your concentration when you practice it and go back to your regular backswing. Just focus on getting it straight back like Johnny said and not over your shoulder or behind you or whatever you happen to be doing.

Bagumbawalla
09-12-2006, 05:14 AM
One idea might be to practice against a wall. Move up closer so you have to react/get in position quickly. Automatically, you will begin to adjust your stroke.

Also try holding your forehand with two hands. Get the feel of that (more limited) motion. Try to duplicate that feel with your normal one-handed stroke.

tennis_hand
09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
well, what is wrong with a high backswing?

redtennis55
11-22-2006, 04:39 PM
well, what is wrong with a high backswing?

It is not a highbackswing, it is just my shoulders turn an insane amount. Imagine Pete Sampras' serve (I know its exaggerated but its still too much).

drakulie
11-22-2006, 04:47 PM

One method you could use is to practice with your back against the fence (not completely), and have someone feed you forehands. This will help you shorten your swing.

A lot of coaches actually do this to help with the return of serve.

Good luck.

Solat
11-22-2006, 11:06 PM
try the darwin theory

survival of the fittest

challenge yourself to stand just inside the baseline and hit FH after FH, you will not succeed unless you shorten your b/s. If you have enough fight to want to succeed your body will figure out a way

and of course, go give your pro $50 for an hour spent on shortening your swing thats what they are there for.