PDA

View Full Version : NEt rushers and eastern grip.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
09-10-2006, 08:46 AM
I've noticed that most net rushers use eastern forehand grip, a la Henman and Sampras. Also, many teaching pros seem to use the notion that to be a successful net rusher you should use the eastern grip. Is this a myth, or is it true?

Jonny S&V
09-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Easier to transition to net, some use an eastern for vollying (see Rafter, Patrick), easier to approach on as the ball will skid more than if you used a more topspin-oriented grip, etc...

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
09-10-2006, 09:35 AM
anyone else experience the same?

TonyB
09-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I think it's a myth. You can approach the net with whatever grip you want. It really doesn't matter.

I use a semi-western forehand, but often change to an eastern grip for low approach shots to add spin and to allow me to keep my body moving with forward momentum in an upright position.

I can't imagine anyone would volley with a western or even semi-western grip. I'd guess it's mainly eastern for forehand volleys and continental for backhand volleys. So if you're changing grips to volley at the net, what difference would it make whether you used an eastern or western grip style for your baseline shots?

ZPTennis
09-10-2006, 12:49 PM
you really should have plenty of time to change grips. I use a western forehand and have no trouble at all switching to my continental at net.

Geezer Guy
09-15-2006, 12:42 PM
I think the semi-western grip is best with an open stance, and the eastern grip is best with a closed stance. It's easier to approach the net from a closed stance because you're stepping into the ball more, so it's just more of a natural process.

Certainly, you CAN approach the net from an open stance. I'm just saying it's easier and more natural from a closed stance.

kevhen
09-15-2006, 12:46 PM
I agree with the closed stance and eastern grip when approaching with slice which is the better way to approach in my opinion compared to hitting semi-western or western topspin approaches that give your opponent too good of a look at an easy pass or lob.

nickybol
09-15-2006, 01:01 PM
1. A square stance is easier to approach the net because your momentum goes forward. Square stances favor eastern grips.

2. You want an approach shot to be relatively flat, because a high-bouncing ball will give your opponent the opportunity to hit down at your feet.

2. The transition from eastern to continental is a very easy one.

drakulie
09-15-2006, 01:30 PM
I think it's a myth. You can approach the net with whatever grip you want. It really doesn't matter.

Agree.

Spindarella
09-15-2006, 09:03 PM
I think that you can use any grip, but net rushing is more suited for people with an eastern grip